Thread: Free software for controlling EtherDream?

Default Free software for controlling EtherDream?

I have an EtherDream DAC and I'm looking for software to control it. I'd like to use a program like QuickShow or LSX, but I'm not interested in buying a commercial product. (I suspect this thread will derail if I go into detail about why, but it's more than just not wanting to spend money.) Does anyone know of any open-source alternatives to those programs, which work in the same basic way even if they aren't quite as advanced or refined?

Barring that, is there at least a program I don't need to pay for that will work with my EtherDream? Even a free edition of a commercial product, just as long as it can output to EtherDream and is actually a free edition, not just a free demo.

Ideally I'd like something I can use on Linux.

Does anything like I'm describing exist?

I'd like to suggest my software LaserShowGen. Has a free edition, supports the Ether Dream, supports Linux. (It's also sort of open source but the code is not very useful since you need a commercial program to compile it.) The only thing you don't have access to in the free version is the multi-layer timeline mode.
    https://bitlasers.com/lasershowgen-sw/

Quote Originally Posted by flarn2006 View Post
    I have an EtherDream DAC and I'm looking for software to control it. I'd like to use a program like QuickShow or LSX, but I'm not interested in buying a commercial product.
    Without regard to the discussion about buying commercial products, I feel the need to point out that Quickshow is a Pangolin-exclusive product; it only works with Pangolin controllers (specifically the FB3 and FB4). You can't use Quickshow with the EtherDream DAC.

The Etherdream DAC will work with Laser Design Studio, Mamba Black, HE LaserScan, LSX, LaserShowGen, and maybe a few other software packages as well.

Of the software packages above, only HE LaserScan is completely free, although LaserShowGen does have a free module (but as Grix mentioned if you want to use the multi-track timeline editor you need to purchase the Pro version).

Finally, both LSX and LaserShowGen are the work of a single person, so you're not buying a product from a big company, but rather from an individual, if that has any bearing on your decision.

Adam

I would second the vote to lasershowgen, it is the best free/libre laser show software that I have tried so far.

The next runner up in my opinion is LFI player (ancient - but supports etherdream using the dll) which is old but fully opensource. Now that lasershowgen is mature the only thing I use LFI player for is its abstract generator--which is phenomenal.