Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New inexpensive 3d VR kit

isn't this similar to what magicleap was working on?

Looks like CastAR is reborn! There was the project with Valve and then the kickstarter for CastAR and then it went poof. And now it looks like it is revived, cool beans.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    https://www.tiltfive.com/

This looks amazing if it works as shown.
    The person that developed this is rather well known.
    She generally doesn't bullshit.

Default new game

lets build a game that uses no imagination, requires no inter action, and plays itself tell you win.

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... one of my first ideas about application with VR/AR equipment and force-feedback-gloves (around 1988 pretty expensive or pure DIY) was some sort of "construction-toolbox".
    Do you have more ifnromation about this?
    I have VR gloves for motion capture (very expensive ones based on the original VPL gloves using 22 fiberoptic lines per hand with magnetic tracking, modified with vive tracking right now)

But haptics is something im slowly getting into for glove interaction.. I know a bit here and there but curiousity hits me when someone brings it up!

... "then" (around 1987) there were cheap VR-gloves with single polymer-fibers per finger, some cuts above the finger-joints and a LED/phototransistor combi to measure the reduced brightness, when bending the fingers and "opens" the cuts ... could be 50 USD per set then?

One idea for the "force-feedback" was around PZT-disks on the finger-tips -- the more activated, the more "nerve stimulus", so a sense of "haptic".

A friend built another "remote" force-feedback-tweezers out from voice-coil-actors of disassembled HD-drives -- an XYZ-Setup of connected actors with two extra with "thimbles" for the fingers ... and a smaller setup with same mechanical structure, but tweezers for the thimbles ... and "synchronized" the two setups.

When moving the fingers in the thimbles, the remote tweezer-setup moved identical ... but if the tweezers were blocked by something, the driver measured the rising current through the coils and reported this to the control software, which then too applied some "back-current" to the input setup, what was sensed as "force-feedback"!

He then even "simlated" a target setup (so working only with the input-setup), by drawing some lines on the screen and simulating a "2D-world" -- here it was like a box above a base-line and two small crosses for the "finger-tip-positions" -- I could move the crosses by moving my fingers in the thimbles ... and, when touching the box, I'Ve got some feedback, like touching a soft surface, like something made from gelatine.

When "gripping" the box with some power, I could "lift" it, and the simulator showed this by relocating the box.

Even more impressive was a "pit" in the baseline, when I've only "gently squeezed" the box and moved it horizontally across the pit -- when it was complete above the pit, then the simulator let it "drop", what was reportet too as force-feedback.

Ic could close the eyes and "explore" the scene with my fingers only -- got the sensation when touching the box with the crosses (fingertip-simulations), could feel the "weight" when squeezing and lifting it ... or the "bump", when pushing the box over the pit

Viktor
    Last edited by VDX; 12-09-2020 at 23:01.
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425