Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie help! Hooking up ILDA for the first time

Default Rookie help! Hooking up ILDA for the first time

Hi guys,

Alright. I know this is super rookie status but here's what's going on. I'm super fired up that I got my fb3 in and go to hook it up. When I plug it in the little "welcome" show the laser's doing turns off. I called Pangolin support and they said everything from their end looks good on the hardware side of things. I'm wondering if there's a setting that's not correct OR this is where I feel like a rookie...does the ilda have to go into the input port? I don't understand why the fb3 would have a female output and then a normal ilda cable is what's recommended to hook it up to my laser. Do I need to get a male to male cable in order for it to work?

Many thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2343.PNG  

That's odd. I just saw an ad on fb the other day for a projector with ilda ports labeled in and out and I immediately thought, hey, that's backwards!

One thing you might try, with no power to the unit, see if you have continuity from hole to pin through those connectors. That's how i wired my own projector.

The signal pins are 1, 2, 5, 6, 7. x, y, r, g, b.
    Last edited by james; 10-15-2020 at 17:19.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    That's odd. I just saw an ad on fb the other day for a projector with ilda ports labeled in and out and I immediately thought, hey, that's backwards!

One thing you might try, with no power to the unit, see if you have continuity from hole to pin through those connectors. That's how i wired my own projector.

The signal pins are 1, 2, 5, 6, 7. x, y, r, g, b.

Set those signal pins to that and still nothing. When I called Pangolin they said that's typically for a dmx controller. I contacted the seller and they said:

Dear customer,
    Thanks for your writing to us.
    The LIDA line jacks are both in and out, no longer need to buy, if multiple effects need to play the same effect in series, then you need to buy lida lines in series.
    To connect to a computer, it depends on whether you are using FB4 offline software or FB3 software. FB3 software needs to be connected to the computer for operation from time to time.
    FB4 can be used offline.
    When connecting to a computer, you must make sure that the control box is successfully connected. The code of the connected control box will be displayed in the lower right corner.
    Any questions you have,please feel free to tell us.
    we will try our best to help you solve the problem.
    Have a great day!
    Nancy

Obviously going through a translation app of some kind but still not super clear what the issue would be. I thought it was pretty much plug and play no?

Quote Originally Posted by Coltondm
    When I plug it in the little "welcome" show the laser's doing turns off.
    That would be correct.
    When the laser detects a DAC connected (usually by seeing if pins 4 and 17 are bridged) then it will switch itself into 'ILDA mode' and turn off any auto run stuff built in.
    It will then wait for you to play something in Quickshow/Beyond. Have you tried that yet?
    I'm trying to read between the lines of a rookie here, and I'm thinking you may be expecting the FB3 to give you some control over the built in shows/cues, which is why you mentioned it turning off when you plugged the DAC in? If so then no, it doesn't work like that.
    You may be able to control some of the internal stuff with DMX however.

I would ignore the In/Out thing, its probably just the screen print or connectors in the wrong place.
    Plug into the male port as you would expect for a M/F cable.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    That would be correct.
    When the laser detects a DAC connected (usually by seeing if pins 4 and 17 are bridged) then it will switch itself into 'ILDA mode' and turn off any auto run stuff built in.
    It will then wait for you to play something in Quickshow/Beyond. Have you tried that yet?
    I'm trying to read between the lines of a rookie here, and I'm thinking you may be expecting the FB3 to give you some control over the built in shows/cues, which is why you mentioned it turning off when you plugged the DAC in? If so then no, it doesn't work like that.
    You may be able to control some of the internal stuff with DMX however.

I would ignore the In/Out thing, its probably just the screen print or connectors in the wrong place.
    Plug into the male port as you would expect for a M/F cable.

Thanks for the input! Seriously, guidance here is appreciated.

I'm not expecting it to give me control over the cues it comes with. I want to see that bald eagle I have cued up in quickshow. I'm following the tutorial. Click a cue, enable laser, and boom it should be live right? At the very least if I have the settings wrong for the projector see a dropped frame rate/laggy version of what I'm trying to play.

The controller is blinking red like Pangolin said it should. The connection is good and switches off right when I plug it in. I just don't know what I could missing here.

I feel better about the in and out potentially being a misprint. My anxiety is I have a party next week all my friends were excited to see it and hear me dj so hoping to getting this figured out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coltondm View Post
    Thanks for the input! Seriously, guidance here is appreciated.

I'm not expecting it to give me control over the cues it comes with. I want to see that bald eagle I have cued up in quickshow. I'm following the tutorial. Click a cue, enable laser, and boom it should be live right? At the very least if I have the settings wrong for the projector see a dropped frame rate/laggy version of what I'm trying to play.

The controller is blinking red like Pangolin said it should. The connection is good and switches off right when I plug it in. I just don't know what I could missing here.

I feel better about the in and out potentially being a misprint. My anxiety is I have a party next week all my friends were excited to see it and hear me dj so hoping to getting this figured out lol
    Are you sure your ILDA cable has all the pins connected? Some cheap cables don't use all the pins. The DB25 cables on Monoprice are all fine in my expereience. As you are dealing with the absolute cheapest Chinese projector imaginable, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that they reversed the standard in/out on the projector. It wouldn't hurt to have a DB25 M-F cable a try instead of the standard ILDA cable (DB25 M-M).

Once you do get it up and running, please take some time to read about laser safety so you don't damage anyone's eyesight as you get started.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Are you sure your ILDA cable has all the pins connected? Some cheap cables don't use all the pins. The DB25 cables on Monoprice are all fine in my expereience. As you are dealing with the absolute cheapest Chinese projector imaginable, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that they reversed the standard in/out on the projector. It wouldn't hurt to have a DB25 M-F cable a try instead of the standard ILDA cable (DB25 M-M).

Once you do get it up and running, please take some time to read about laser safety so you don't damage anyone's eyesight as you get started.

-David

Alright, so here we have determined the issue. I thought "standard was M/F so that's what I ordered not a M/M. Understood. Just ordered one of those guys and it'll be coming in tomorrow. That sounds like what's going wrong here

What I was trying to explain is that your ILDA port in and out might just be wired across each other socket to pin. That's how I wired my projector. If this is the case, it doesn't matter which port you use as an input. You can test this with an ohm meter. Unplug your projector. Get a paper clip or some other piece of wire that will fit into a hole in the female connector. See if you can measure 0 ohms from hole 1 (F) to pin 1 (M) between those connectors. If you find 0 ohms across pins 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, then you know that you can use either port. They are just tied together on the inside.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    What I was trying to explain is that your ILDA port in and out might just be wired across each other socket to pin. That's how I wired my projector. If this is the case, it doesn't matter which port you use as an input. You can test this with an ohm meter. Unplug your projector. Get a paper clip or some other piece of wire that will fit into a hole in the female connector. See if you can measure 0 ohms from hole 1 (F) to pin 1 (M) between those connectors. If you find 0 ohms across pins 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, then you know that you can use either port. They are just tied together on the inside.

I do have a ohm meter but I'm not trying to get to advanced here. Just want to be able to plug er in and it work. For a couple hundred bucks I'll just send it back and get another. I'd love to invest in a higher quality system but trying to play around and it be easy

Quote Originally Posted by Coltondm View Post
    I do have a ohm meter but I'm not trying to get to advanced here. Just want to be able to plug er in and it work. For a couple hundred bucks I'll just send it back and get another. I'd love to invest in a higher quality system but trying to play around and it be easy
    I'm just trying to help you answer your own question about which ILDA port to use. If you do the continuity check you will know if it matters or not.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials