Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rookie help! Hooking up ILDA for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula
    It wouldn't hurt to have a DB25 M-F cable a try instead of the standard ILDA cable (DB25 M-M).
    Standard is M-M?
    Its always female out of the DAC (so you can't touch the pins with voltage) into a male at the projector end, same as most applications that try to shield live pins. You should be able to plug the DAC directly into the projector without a cable (if the standoffs weren't in the way). You couldn't do that if it was M-M.

Quote Originally Posted by colt
    I thought "standard was M/F so that's what I ordered not a M/M. Understood. Just ordered one of those guys and it'll be coming in tomorrow. That sounds like what's going wrong here
    M-F is 'normal'. Either way, what James says is true, they are most likely just parallel connected internally (like most DMX fixtures) so it's probably not relevant which gender you use.
    What is important is that you check the continuity as James says to confirm all pins connected internally in the cable.
    Otherwise I can see you might well buy a M-M cable that works and assume it was the gender, instead of it really being that the cables are different inside.

Also, have you checked in QS that the zone you are sending the cue to is configured to be using the FB3 you have connected?
    Last edited by norty303; 10-19-2020 at 05:34.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

If pin to socket on 4 and 17 are not bridged then the safety interlock won't work on the female connector even if the signals are all there. The projector just won't allow the lasers to come on.

The idea is that pins 4 and 17 are an open switch and plugging in a live DAC closes the switch so the projector will not operate without being under the control of a live DAC.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Standard is M-M?
    Its always female out of the DAC (so you can't touch the pins with voltage) into a male at the projector end, same as most applications that try to shield live pins. You should be able to plug the DAC directly into the projector without a cable (if the standoffs weren't in the way). You couldn't do that if it was M-M.

M-F is 'normal'.
    Yes, you are correct. My bad! I blame Swamidog as I believe it was he who told me this.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

<spock eyebrow>

(and some chars)

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Yes, you are correct. My bad! I blame Swamidog as I believe it was he who told me this.

-David
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.