Thread: A "one stop" crash course on laser safety for DIY folks?

Default A "one stop" crash course on laser safety for DIY folks?

After reading a posting on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/3552...9191798093072/ I would love to have been able to point the OP who is playing with a class IV laser while casually mentioning that he has a bit of a colour cast in his eye after accidentally getting hit by the beam. His laser "had a bit fall out" (looks like the output window) and is now going to buy a new diode and see how it goes.

He mentions Nd YVO4, then said the laser was blue, next it seems to be a 10W laser which although seems like a horribly overdriven NUB or something, still seems spectacularly dangerous / stupid to build into a "pointer".

I know there are some amazing resources on the Net (Here and Sam's to name just two) BUT although VERY complete, they are so in-depth and fragmented that I think for a newbie that just wants to play with photons, there is too much to digest - and in too many linked parts.

I wondered if there was (on here or elsewhere) a kind of "five minute crash course utter basic basic basic" guide on keeping your eyes working, how diode lasers work (especially pumped ones), why 808nM looks so dim but blinds really well, why 1064 is not visible but also does the whole "burny thing" really well and the special hazards of ANY extreme blue light source on the UV side.

Not a complete tutorial - but enough explanation so people UNDERSTAND the basics and why even things like "dim light" can be lethal to eyes.

Before I start trying to find a "one page" special elsewhere, I wondered if there was already a page on the matter that can be used as a "general resource" for enthusiasts to be pointed too (and possibly recruit interested new members too).

I have tried searching but not found a "Brief Guide" anywhere, just loads of awesome but fragmented bits. Any feedback / links / ideas appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Guy

oh I agree completely but the problem is of them actually finding it or wanting to do the research.. a lof of people are too lazy to even google that or they easily stumble on pages lacking the information, the pages exist and so do the videos.

When I read nd:yvo4 I got concerned quickly: IR diode ...dangers you can't see are some of the most dangerous.
    Then he mentioned blue so I instantly thought of class 4 445nm...also dangerous.

It's a shame the result of the price drop in diodes/lasers now makes the issue worse then ever.. imagine that there are also people who don't post and just go for it who cause serious harm to themselves or others... Lasers being advertised as a toy or "for use for everyone" has been a real concern as the price came down sharply.

Sadly laser safety videos on youtube never grabbed traction and many videos on youtube would glorify the coolness of laser (thats fine) but skimped on the warnings of the dangers beforehand, creating the impression of a toy.

My biggest concern on the facebook post was the amount of people offering to help sorting his diode issue out firstly before questioning the potential dangers the person was getting himself into (or already had)

TBH, if it hadn't broken, he'd never have been on that group in the first place.
    I think that's how lots of people find laser resources.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj
    My biggest concern on the facebook post was the amount of people offering to help sorting his diode issue out firstly before questioning the potential dangers the person was getting himself into (or already had)
    It doesn't need 15 people all telling him about the dangers.
    1 or 2 will do, or it becomes like a nagging parent that you ignore.
    And you know it's going to be more than 2 anyway, because people love to be the laser police....
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.