Thread: Color balancing max rgb diode voltage output

Question Color balancing max rgb diode voltage output

Hello laser friends, I'll start with a brief bit of background information : my team has created a dmx controllable RGB single beam fixture - the light source for which is 1 red diode, 1 green, and 1 blue. We set the max and min voltages for each color - max is supposed to be 'White'. As you can imagine, the actual color temp of the white is totally arbitrary as we set these max voltages by our eyes and now we have a bunch of systems that have completely different max/white colors.

Is there some sort of 'laser color meter' that could handle a high powered beam (>5w) and help us dial in our max voltages so we can produce a uniform white? preferably 6500k.

Ive found a few devices that look like they may be helpful but I wanted to ask my fellow laser nerds first.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonJohn View Post
    Hello laser friends, I'll start with a brief bit of background information : my team has created a dmx controllable RGB single beam fixture - the light source for which is 1 red diode, 1 green, and 1 blue. We set the max and min voltages for each color - max is supposed to be 'White'. As you can imagine, the actual color temp of the white is totally arbitrary as we set these max voltages by our eyes and now we have a bunch of systems that have completely different max/white colors.

Is there some sort of 'laser color meter' that could handle a high powered beam (>5w) and help us dial in our max voltages so we can produce a uniform white? preferably 6500k.

Ive found a few devices that look like they may be helpful but I wanted to ask my fellow laser nerds first.
    I imagine you could measure the individual power outputs of each beam (using a normal laser power meter) at the output and then calculate the color balance required. You may want to plot it over the voltage range. I know that there was a program floating around here to help with the math for color balancing given wavelength and power. Someone else will probably chime in with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    I imagine you could measure the individual power outputs of each beam (using a normal laser power meter) at the output and then calculate the color balance required. You may want to plot it over the voltage range. I know that there was a program floating around here to help with the math for color balancing given wavelength and power. Someone else will probably chime in with it.

Ahh, yes.... <chimes in> it was to be used with MatLab, and if you give me a little time, I can find my copy or a link I'm pretty sure.

Use your eye to make the white you like. Measure the output of the diodes. Match to other units and then hand match the whites. Ps the next day you will change the white. It is very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Use your eye to make the white you like. Measure the output of the diodes. Match to other units and then hand match the whites. Ps the next day you will change the white. It is very subjective.
    That is a "brilliant" idea!

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    That is a "brilliant" idea!
    I was not trying to be a troll. The HUMAN COMPUTER is by far the best algorithm for this job. I tried using an "eye" like for calibrating a tv and the result looked pink to me. White is subjective.
    Try this one. Combine yellow and blue true yellow not red and green. That white will look very pure and you will NEVER match it with rgb. Best you can do is eyeball it.

I know you're not a troll. That was a great idea. Often times we think of really complicated solutions when really a simple one is much better. "Brilliant" is in quotes because it's Punny. ;-) Ok enough babble, I don't want to hijack the thread with non-information. Thanks!