Thread: New Salty Robot Laser Show

Default New Salty Robot Laser Show

I haven't posted any show here in awhile, but since its Abstract Thursday and I just made a new show, I figured what better time. This show was performed live in my studio using 4 laser projectors. I am using several different control systems at the same time. Analog, Mercury, Radiator and LSX all combine together to make this show. You guys can figure out which system made which patterns. I am hoping to make more shows with this setup but my time always seems to be pulled in many different directions. Hope y'all enjoy.

Watching Lasers Since 1981

Default Wow

Pretty Damn good there!
    How Many projectors did you use 3?
    Was there a Radiator involved?
    A worthy talent you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasertize View Post
    Pretty Damn good there!
    How Many projectors did you use 3?
    Was there a Radiator involved?
    A worthy talent you have!
    4 projectors were used. Radiator was connected to one of them and played a supporting role. The X-Laser Mercury tool kit did the heavy lifting for this show and kept it cohesive throughout. LSX and Analog rounded out the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    4 projectors were used. Radiator was connected to one of them and played a supporting role. The X-Laser Mercury tool kit did the heavy lifting for this show and kept it cohesive throughout. LSX and Analog rounded out the show.
    Never herd of x-laser mercury tool kit, LSX. I'll have to research that.
    How long did it take to produce the show?

It did not take too many hours to produce. That is one of the nice parts about Mercury. I use the lighting desk software Chamsys Magic Q with the Mercury head files. I made a cue stack for all of the Mercury content that I wanted to use. Then as needed I filled in with the other systems. On the other systems I already had a bunch of patterns at the ready to choose from, so I was able to piece together a show rather quickly. For the analog system I have a preview window so I can make changes local at the console without sending to FOH. The hardest part was getting the timing down for some of the parts. But really this just took practice playing it live, making sure my hand were in the right place at the right time. Much like a musical instrument. I think Magic Q has the ability to time code the cue stack so that would have simplified things some but then it wouldn't have been completely live.

Never herd of x-laser mercury tool kit, LSX. I'll have to research that.
    How long did it take to produce the show?

Red face cool

I am getting my very own Radiator some time to day (FedEx) YEA!
    What SWAMIDOG does and what you do have got me Excited. I live in Phoenix Arizona and as for laser show producers, I am one of a very few here,
    Competition is none. so between the Beyond, LD 2000, 2 QM2000 net boxes, APC40MKII, Radiator, 3 clubmax3000 FB4, and two pints of glow in the dark paint for a viewing screen with some creativity Oh and one of my Chinese cheapy projectors 2 of them, one of them being converted to 405nm for the glow in the dark screen should come up with some thing cool to show.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

That's a nice mix of stuff you got there.

Yeah I have barely scratched the surface of what the Radiator can do. Its really fun to play around with and save off patterns as you go. Although I have recorded over a pattern or two when I'm not paying attention and I also corrupted one of my show files once and lost like 6 patterns. But other than that I have been making some really fun stuff I hope to use in the future.

A goal I have down the road is to have the lighting desk send out MIDI to trigger Radiator patterns. I currently don't own lighting desk hardware to perform this task but its not too far out of touch. Just need to start making a buck or two out in public.

I am getting my very own Radiator some time to day (FedEx) YEA!
    What SWAMIDOG does and what you do have got me Excited. I live in Phoenix Arizona and as for laser show producers, I am one of a very few here,
    Competition is none. so between the Beyond, LD 2000, 2 QM2000 net boxes, APC40MKII, Radiator, 3 clubmax3000 FB4, and two pints of glow in the dark paint for a viewing screen with some creativity Oh and one of my Chinese cheapy projectors 2 of them, one of them being converted to 405nm for the glow in the dark screen should come up with some thing cool to show.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

absent a lighting desk, you can use LSX to send midi to the radiator.

Yeah I have barely scratched the surface of what the Radiator can do. Its really fun to play around with and save off patterns as you go. Although I have recorded over a pattern or two when I'm not paying attention and I also corrupted one of my show files once and lost like 6 patterns. But other than that I have been making some really fun stuff I hope to use in the future.

A goal I have down the road is to have the lighting desk send out MIDI to trigger Radiator patterns. I currently don't own lighting desk hardware to perform this task but its not too far out of touch. Just need to start making a buck or two out in public.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

If you happen to already own an iPad ~
    Check out MIDI Designer app.

That coupled with an inexpensive iPad-compatible MIDI interface can make for a pretty nice custom MIDI controller setup.
    I used it with some of my past Christmas laser shows to control both laser and MIDI-enabled DMX cues.

Not quite a full-blown lighting desk, but handy to have in the interim!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thanks for this idea but its less about the interface to trigger Radiator presets and more about how to trigger the Radiator without having to touch any controls. With the lighting desk I can press advance on the cue stack and all heads (laser patterns) move to the next effect. If the same command can trigger the Radiator at the same time then my hands can be in a different place doing something else. I am looking at advancing 4 or more laser patterns to the next set of patterns all in unison on a change in the music. In this show there were a couple points where I needed to advance the cue stack, change a Radiator pattern, fade out an LSX pattern and/or do something with the analog side. In the end I made it work but I can do better by developing this work flow a little more.

LSX can send the midi to the radiator no problem. I am a little worried that it will affect what I already have setup with the apc mini and my current live lsx setup. Maybe there is a way to combine them both. I need to look into this idea further. Choreographed work would be a cinch to add Radiator effects into the work flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    If you happen to already own an iPad ~
    Check out MIDI Designer app.

That coupled with an inexpensive iPad-compatible MIDI interface can make for a pretty nice custom MIDI controller setup.
    I used it with some of my past Christmas laser shows to control both laser and MIDI-enabled DMX cues.

Not quite a full-blown lighting desk, but handy to have in the interim!