Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectrometer 800nm ~ 1278nm at 5nm precision (or better)

Default Spectrometer 800nm ~ 1278nm at 5nm precision (or better)

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a spectrometer (with fiber preferred) that has a range of at least 800nm to 1278nm at 5nm precision minimum (or better).
    Having it go more into the visible range as well would be nice as well but not absolutely mandatory.. do not care about blue or UV.
    No preference for an usb interface or standalone device

I did some looking before and even a call to ocean optics (In which I still am awaiting reply of ) but was told on the phone that I would be in between VIS - nir to an IR spectrometer.
    The vis-nir of the 2000 is max 1000nm with potentially 20% deviation/extended range (gamble) and while the IR spectrometer of theirs went from 900nm to longer wavelengths reaching far into the IR (so not good for say 808nm)

My budget is about $1000 (used and not recently calibrated is fine)

Pointers or offers are very apreciated!

Good luck... you might be able to find an extended range OSA that covers that range but not for $1000. New cost is $50k and up, used would be more like $5k. Something like a Advantest Q838x might be had for that sort of budget in as-is condition if you are willing to try and repair it.

If you can find a bit more in your budget I have a Advantest Q8381 that is in good working condition but a bit rough mechanical condition (missing power button, scuffs, etc) that I could sell for $2500 after the friends and family discount.

It will be hard to find a linear detector based instrument like from ocean optics because silicon can't measure beyond 1000nm and most ingaas cant go much below 900nm. Only realistic option would be 2 spectrometers (like usb2000 + nirquest) or a scanning grating instrument like an OSA or monochromator with a switchable detector to cover the extended wavelength range.

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    Good luck... you might be able to find an extended range OSA that covers that range but not for $1000. New cost is $50k and up, used would be more like $5k. Something like a Advantest Q838x might be had for that sort of budget in as-is condition if you are willing to try and repair it.

If you can find a bit more in your budget I have a Advantest Q8381 that is in good working condition but a bit rough mechanical condition (missing power button, scuffs, etc) that I could sell for $2500 after the friends and family discount.

It will be hard to find a linear detector based instrument like from ocean optics because silicon can't measure beyond 1000nm and most ingaas cant go much below 900nm. Only realistic option would be 2 spectrometers (like usb2000 + nirquest) or a scanning grating instrument like an OSA or monochromator with a switchable detector to cover the extended wavelength range.
    2500 is way way out of my budget. I could probably stretch the budget to like 1200 USD.
    I feared the 2 spectrometer situation too. Would love more info about the nirquest and will delve into an OSA. I found a "decent priced" usb2000 but the fiber misses which also costs a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    2500 is way way out of my budget. I could probably stretch the budget to like 1200 USD.
    I feared the 2 spectrometer situation too. Would love more info about the nirquest and will delve into an OSA. I found a "decent priced" usb2000 but the fiber misses which also costs a lot..
    The difficulty is that silicon detectors tend to get quite noisy above 1000nm, so IR spectrometers are usually InGaAs types. The detector will normally have to be TEC cooled as well. The NIR Quest costs around $20k depending upon options. They do sell a lower cost ‘Flame’ that may suit, but I recall is still about $8k. Maybe there is something on eBay that will do the trick. It’s quite a challenge to do it for $1000. If you are using a fibre, you’ll need a decent NIR one as well, because normal fibres have really nasty absorption bands that literally blocks out a bunch of wavelengths. If you have a quartz lamp you could do a crude calibration yourself, (which will be needed once you combine the instrument - fibre - collection optics).

Good luck!

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

My emergency solution was a G330 Galvo, a 600 lpm gold plated grating, and a photodiode. Crude, but it works well with modestly bright sources and a cheap digital storage scope.
    Calibration is with an IR hene and neon lamps.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    The difficulty is that silicon detectors tend to get quite noisy above 1000nm, so IR spectrometers are usually InGaAs types. The detector will normally have to be TEC cooled as well. The NIR Quest costs around $20k depending upon options. They do sell a lower cost ‘Flame’ that may suit, but I recall is still about $8k. Maybe there is something on eBay that will do the trick. It’s quite a challenge to do it for $1000. If you are using a fibre, you’ll need a decent NIR one as well, because normal fibres have really nasty absorption bands that literally blocks out a bunch of wavelengths. If you have a quartz lamp you could do a crude calibration yourself, (which will be needed once you combine the instrument - fibre - collection optics).

Good luck!

James
    That makes sense
    I will work on saving up.. slow times right now but with some commissions I might be able to get to the 2.5k budget.

I actually want to keep a lookout for a InGaAs IR spectrometer for the time being knowing the 2 spectrometer approach might be the best one... I'm holding off on any vis-nir spectrometers offered on ebay as they seemed much easier to come by. I have yet to find any used IR spectrometers pop up on ebay other then their fibers.

Any pointers for brands I should keep my eyes out for other then ocean optics?

@ Steve I have 2 digital scopes but neither of these sources other then a regular red hene in my laserscope
    I still prefer an actual spectrometer even if that means saving because it will be a better tool in the long run I think.
    Last edited by masterpj; 01-06-2021 at 10:05.

Default Got one!

Got an OSA for under 1k.. working and calibrated!
    Thanks for the info! It was a hunt but it was worth the time!. It's in shipment currently.

Awesome - care to share some details? Sounds like a great deal

Excellent stuff.

you should be able to do a crude calibration for absolute irradiance using a quartz lamp and a radiometer.

if you need something more accurate when the fibre and input optics are installed, it’s something that the manufacturer should still be able to offer. If not, I’ve got NIST/PTB traceable calibration sources we maintain in our lab precisely for this thing, and may be able to help you out.

Well done on finding the instrument.

james
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

I think there are lines in neon. Also 808/1064 of course. I can see 1064 with my ocean optics hr spec but not much farther.
    I tried moving the grating on a bw unit but it would not calibrate. You might find some leds in the range but you can’t verify the wavelengths. I had the same quest but it got too expensive.