Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low cost/entry level ilda controllers

I think Helios works on multi operating systems as well. It's a good bargain and works great.

A modified sound device isn't a specific piece of hardware with specific specs or drivers. It's a concept. Everything that has gone into making multichannel sound devices a working, marketable concept has nothing to do with laser display.

Streaming data to a sound device is also a very generic concept.

That's why it will always be a working solution.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    A modified sound device isn't a specific piece of hardware with specific specs or drivers. It's a concept. Everything that has gone into making multichannel sound devices a working, marketable concept has nothing to do with laser display.

Streaming data to a sound device is also a very generic concept.

That's why it will always be a working solution.
    Are you high or something?

Just trying to make a point.

There are two different ways to think about laser control signals.

One is that they are somehow magic and require specialized proprietary hardware and software and one system is not at all compatible with another.

The other is that ultimately it's all the same thing in the end. The output of any proprietary laser DAC can be digitally recorded as multichannel wave and then it is no longer stuck in any one particular system.

With that in mind, you can just skip the middle part and render digital directly to an audio device.

There are literally thousands of hardware devices and software apps that are engineered for digital audio and there always will be innovations and improvements in that field.

There are millions of times more consumers of digital audio products than there are laserists.

Do the math.
    Last edited by james; 03-03-2021 at 10:14.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    The output of any proprietary laser DAC can be digitally recorded as multichannel wave and then it is no longer stuck in any one particular system.
    And the Model DI-2108 Data Logger + my file conversion utility + LaserBoy software to adapt the data to ilda frames is one recently proven good solution to this.

The ILDA file format has its limitations, but it's ok. It is supported by most laser applications.

But there are other ways to save and transport frames of color laser vector art.

LaserBoy allows you to use the wave file format as it incorporates the addition of information in the header of the wave and sub-code information in the red and green channels that preserve the time shift between the scanner and color signals and the end of frame and unique frame markers. So you can make a wave in LB that is either optimized for direct display or not and reopen that wave to get your frame set back fully intact.

LaserBoy also has a very robust plain ASCII text format.

Both LB wave and text formats are documented, open standards

It also reads and writes a useful subset of DXF.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

LWave can generate and play back multi channel waves (LaserBoy or otherwise) through a Helios DAC.

FB3 and quickshow is pretty sweet
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    LWave can generate and play back multi channel waves (LaserBoy or otherwise) through a Helios DAC.
    I'm not having success finding LWave at http://laserboy.org/lwave/