Thread: Lodging options for SELEM 2021 in Del.

Thumbs down Lodging options for SELEM 2021 in Del.

sorry for being a pest--my bad
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 04-15-2021 at 10:51. Reason: wrong info
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

While the reviews from the fall of 2019 do indeed look rather poor, that was also 18 months ago. I don't see any reviews since September, 2019 for that hotel.

if you look up the HIE in Conover (the one we used to use for SELEM in Newton), it also had some less-than-favorable reviews from 2019 when they were re-modeling the place.

I know that when Brad arranged the group rate he actually met with the hotel manager at the facility and was able to walk around. He mentioned that the hotel was smaller than the HIE in Conover, but otherwise he thought it looked just fine inside. It would be nice to know if they've had any change of staff since the fall of 2019 though...

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

In reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I am finding page after page of very good reviews and only a couple of negative ones.

Being a facility that receives reviews for OUR service, I can also tell you that you will find page after page of very good reviews and... a couple of negatives ones - even about me.

After 13 years of having events here when we require the DJ to plug in to our sound system, I can tell you hundreds and hundreds of DJ's love our system. I have had maybe a couple of DJ's post reviews that our system sucks. (And have suffered defending us accordingly.) If a hundred DJ's like it and a couple don't... my first argument is... it's likely the DJ. It's amazing how many don't know the first thing about how to operate their equipment or about sound. And they HATE the fact that the "lowly venue manager" knows more about their equipment that they do.

I also know there are some people who aren't happy unless they have "something" to complain about. And then... there's the old saying that, "opinions are like assholes - everyone has one."

So... I'd sort of take these with a grain of salt. I was a little upset that after finding what appears to be a very nice B&B that there were some negatives reviews about it too. But also a lot of positive ones and... I'll say my experience thus far with both facilities has been positive.

Here is the one observation I do have about the HIE that mildly concerned me... The Elkton interchange on I-95 is a major one for trucks. There are two truck stops, including washing services within about a half mile, as well as a warehouse with loading docks next door to the hotel. (And a 7-11 convenience store.) So.... the area where the hotel is, would be deemed a bit more commercial than "pretty". "Pretty" is for the B&B folks. I just had a concern with HIE if there might be any truck noise.

I selected HIE for a number of reasons... familiarity, comparable pricing to Conover, the ability for people with accumulated points to earn more or use them and... the pancake robot. It's not the closest hotel to the venue but, it's closest to my house and the B&B so everyone is all within 4-5 minutes of each other.

Being on the outskirts of a University city, there are a plethora of other options in the area should people want to make other accommodations (likely between $50 and $300 per night) including Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Candlewood Suites, Red Roof, Rodeway, Sheraton, La Quinta, Days Inn, Motel 6, Knights Inn, Homewood Suites, Baymont by Wyndham to name a few.... All under 10 minutes from the venue. Pick yer poison.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 04-09-2021 at 10:26.
    PM Sent...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

ALSO... correct phone number to call the HIE directly - which is what you should do versus a national number is: 443-350-9154.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ALSO... correct phone number to call the HIE directly - which is what you should do versus a national number is: 443-350-9154.
    Yup: That's the number I have posted in the sign-up thread.

Len, you must have called the number listed in the Trip Advisor review. That will almost always be the corporate reservation line for any hotel on Trip Advisor. (And sure enough, it's an 877 area code, which is a Toll-Free number.) So you shouldn't be surprised to get a call-center when you call the Toll-Free number.

Adam