Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage show laser coherent innova 70

Default Vintage show laser coherent innova 70

hello there,

I'm completely new. I'm 39 years old and loved to go the belgium discotheks is 90's. They always had beautifull lasershows.
    Now 20 years later I was able to buy a really vintage show laser who can maken different figures.

The laserhead is a coherent innova 70, in the beginning it only showed a purple spot. After spending some time and trail and error the laser is back running and is giving green light.

Now the next job is to get live in the scanner /mirror box. This is one is controlled by a MS DOS computer with 5,25 inch floppies and msdos software programm. From the parallelport of the pc the signal is going to an interface box and from there it is goning to the scanner box. Via the interface box you are able to control some things by hand.

I hope to get this funtion also alive again. Maybe some people recognise the laser or the system? or maybe somebody knows the software or interface. Or the working of it.

Any reaction are welcome to get this big vintage laser back to work.

Yhanx a lot. I hope that I posted this thread in the correct folder.

kind regards,

fenne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5591JPG.jpg  

IMG_5610JPG.jpg  

IMG_5686JPG.jpg  

IMG_5690JPG.jpg  

IMG_5687JPG.jpg  

IMG_5659JPG.jpg  

IMG_5630JPG.jpg  

IMG_5660JPG.jpg  

You're in good company here. Most all of us have a special place in our hearts for ion systems. Some of us still work with them.

I can't help identify the projector or the software, unfortunately. But if anyone on Earth can, said person is most likely on this forum.

It's great to hear that an 80's vintage I70 still lases too. Amazing.

Great find. Make sure to update the thread when any progress you make or info you find.

hello thanx for your reaction. I hope that somebody can help me also wit the scannerbox.

The laser is indeed an old one hahah. Last Thursday, we were adjusting him, we were glad that we found a spark.
    After some fine tuning it keep lasering. I most say it's is a powerfull laser. We just had him on selection med en the power on half but than he has still power.
    I'm also wondering how many amperes it takes.

If somebody can help me that would be great, and if I got some progress I will put it here.

Hereby some pictures of Last Thursday.

Any information is welcome.

Thanx in advance

Kind regards,

Fenne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5660.JPG  

IMG_5662.JPG  

IMG_5707.JPG  

IMG_5708.JPG  

IMG_5709.jpg  

IMG_5710.JPG  

IMG_5711.JPG  

Holy smokes that is some seriously vintage laser gear. The only word I understand in your picture is "Lissajous" which seems like a good start!

Good luck trying to get the controller running, do you know if you got any shows with the system? They probably would have come on separate (5.25" floppy?!) disks.

Hello thnx for your reaction.

Do you know more about this system? Yes i’ve got Some 5,25 floppies included. Also Some papers are included with 4sides of an A4 papier with an overview of figures the laser should be able to make.

Do you know more about lissajous?

Thnx

Grtz fenne

lissajous refers to a the result of sending a sine wave to the x axis scanner and a different frequency sine wave to the y axis scanner. It looks like your machine has dedicated pickoffs to do mirror work controlled by activating rotary solenoids, and G120 or G138 scanners for x/y imaging or beams. Perhaps the honking big round mirror was for moving the scan output in azimuth.
    Last edited by laserist; 05-16-2021 at 15:35.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Hello,

Ok than I understand a little bit the word Lissajous hahaha.

There are a lot of solenoids, also on the back (little row with 5 axes) and at the end there is also a little wheel that turns around with special glas inside where the beams goes throw.

Does anybody knows what can be seen in the black interface box?

thnx in advance

Fenne

The board on the right looks like it has a microprocessor and a uart or dma controller. A uveprom and a couple of ram chips an 2 D/A chips. On the far right a couple of power supplies. The board on the left looks to have multiple functions. The row of power transistors is probably to drive the solenoids. Not having heat sinks is problematic. There's also a small board on the left with a bunch of transistors - is there a LED array or something on the control panel? You may be able to read the numbers off the chips and figure stuff out. I'm not seeing the scan amps. There's no way they wouldn't have heat sinks, but maybe the used the case as a heat sink...
    Last edited by laserist; 05-17-2021 at 07:10.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Regarding the amperage on an I70... You're going to see about 40 amps per phase or thereabouts when the system is running full tilt. 208VAC.

Wow! Great to see you running up this old kit
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -