Thread: Laser chiller

Default Laser chiller

I have got a riedel laser chiller L1629 TR3 that has 2 compressors and 2 water circuits 1 copper and 1 aluminum circuit
    The power is about 25kw and needs 3 chemicals shown in the photo copper inhibitor(73199) aluminum inhibitor(2513) and bactericide(2594).
    Because i cannot find these chemicals what else compatible can i use ?

Why the chiller has 2 water circuits aluminum & copper ?
    Can i use this chiller for 6kw disk laser and 2x300w co2 laser the same time ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chems.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

It's possible they had one loop for the power supply and one for the head, one loop may have more capacity than the other. You might be able to use something like optishield plus which is what we use in all the laser at work. Depending on the wetted materials in the laser it was intended for they wanted to be sure there was no galvanic activity.

This was originally for trumpf CO2 (kw range) lasers the questions is if i can use it for disk laser(6kw) or sealed co2 laser(low power 300w)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Find and Use the inhibiters or the machine will tear itself apart in 3 months or less, usually taking some part of the laser head with it.

Believe me, I used to make a lot of money giving customers who did NOT use inhibiters the bad news about their dead systems. Recently I had to give the bad news on a 90,000$ laser. No Aluminum Inhibiter, and the owner/operator was warned, = 90,000$ loss.

https://www.chemworld.com/Closed-Loo...-s/1325212.htm

They are probably available every place in the world but the polar regions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cool...=1626802423555

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-20-2021 at 09:39.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thank you for critical info..
    This chiller is originally designed for trumpf multi kw CO2 lasers but i want to use it with rofin SC x30 (head & rf psu) 300w and trumpf trudisk 6kw.
    For sure has more cooling capacity than these lasers want but that's not a problem..
    Are the copper & aluminum inhibitor compatible with these lasers ?
    Also the bactericide is mostly for legionella bacteria and this bactericide corrosive for aluminum of copper ?
    Deionised water is ok for aluminum or copper but corrosive for stainless, steel tap water is corrosive for copper aluminum but not for stainless steel..

The chiller is like this in the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

Last edited by javanam; 07-22-2021 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by javanam View Post
    Thank you for critical info..
    This chiller is originally designed for trumpf multi kw CO2 lasers but i want to use it with rofin SC x30 (head & rf psu) 300w and trumpf trudisk 6kw.
    For sure has more cooling capacity than these lasers want but that's not a problem..
    Are the copper & aluminum inhibitor compatible with these lasers ?
    Also the bactericide is mostly for legionella bacteria and this bactericide corrosive for aluminum of copper ?
    Deionised water is ok for aluminum or copper but corrosive for stainless, steel tap water is corrosive for copper aluminum but not for stainless steel..

The chiller is like this in the photo.
    diwater is very corrosive to all metals. It will try to suck as many cations out of the surface as it can. The inhibitors are buffers that prevent this. Diwater is also wonderful media for growing bacteria. The fungicide bactericide stops that. No way around it.

Really, I have had DI water in systems for years and no growth unless it gets contaminated by something. Bacteria can't grow if there are nutrients available.

But it is easy to get a system contaminated and then it's all over with. Like I said earlier, we use Optishield Plus on all of our water cooled lasers. It should work with whatever you have. https://www.optishield.net

You could just parallel the cooling loops with a couple check valves and set the temps the same since the Rofin just uses a single loop through the head and to the power supply. I dont know what it's going to take to control that chiller, it looks like it has a control panel on the front so hopefully you can set it up from there. Without hard specs on the chiller and the capacity of each individual loop its hard to say. You could run the head and power supply off separate loops but I dont think there would be any advantage. if you did you should put a water flow switch in series with the power supply and tied to the PSU enable to protect that since there is only a flow switch in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by macona View Post
    Really, I have had DI water in systems for years and no growth unless it gets contaminated by something. Bacteria can't grow if there are nutrients available.

But it is easy to get a system contaminated and then it's all over with. Like I said earlier, we use Optishield Plus on all of our water cooled lasers. It should work with whatever you have. https://www.optishield.net

You could just parallel the cooling loops with a couple check valves and set the temps the same since the Rofin just uses a single loop through the head and to the power supply. I dont know what it's going to take to control that chiller, it looks like it has a control panel on the front so hopefully you can set it up from there. Without hard specs on the chiller and the capacity of each individual loop its hard to say. You could run the head and power supply off separate loops but I dont think there would be any advantage. if you did you should put a water flow switch in series with the power supply and tied to the PSU enable to protect that since there is only a flow switch in the head.
    I have a little RodI for my reef and mold grows in the plumbing. I think it eats the plastic. Not intuitive but true. I wonder how it makes it through two filter stages an ro membrane two di cartridges!

Oh, once the water is exposed to the live rock and other organisms its all over with. I used to do salt water too, had a 120gal + 30 gal sump.