Thread: JL Lasers - New Seller Trying To Gain Momentum

Default JL Lasers - New Seller Trying To Gain Momentum

Hello everyone! Some of you may know me, I post now and again on LPF

I manufacture cheap/affordable high power laser pointers here in my little garage in Canada.
    Check out my store page: https://sites.google.com/view/ye-olde-laser-shoppe

I've sold around 30 units so far. I provide 6 month warranty on all lasers. Most use 3x AAA or 2x10440 batteries depending on the model.

I sell 405nm, 450nm, 488nm, 505nm, 520nm, 638nm, 650nm, etc.

Help me start my new business

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_7840.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	765.4 KB 
ID:	58243
    Last edited by Loreadarkshade; 09-03-2021 at 15:50.

OK, I'll give it a shot.

Order placed today.

Adam

I got your order!
    Please remember to order 2x 10440 batteries for the models that require them ex. 405nm 700mW.
    And mind the duty cycle listed on the website!

Thumbs up Thumbs up rating for JL Lasers

Just wanted to post a follow-up: the laser pointer I ordered (700 mw 405 nm) arrived today.

I fired it up, and everything works. I did a quick and dirty power measurement with my ThorLabs PM-10 and got 600 mw, which is close enough to the rated output of 700 mw that I'm not going to quibble. No issues with the build quality; it looks just fine and feels plenty solid despite the fact that it's surprisingly lightweight.

Thanks for a smooth transaction!

Adam

Smile heat sinking and focus adapter

JL, I think you have a nice looking product. The only questions I have are why don't you add a basic aluminum heat sink the focal end , and how do you reach the focus adapter?

Yeah, there is no focus adapter on my unit. To adjust the focus you need to hook the slotted lens carrier with a screwdriver or other tool and twist it that way. It would be nice to have a focus adapter that protruded beyond the end of the bezel of the flashlight host, but this would need to be a custom-machined part, and it would also need to be fairly large.

Alternately, I suppose I could simply remove the flashlight bezel and then install a standard Aixis focus adapter, but with the bezel removed the host doesn't look nearly as good.

A heat sink between the 12 mm diode housing and the flashlight host would also be nice, but this is another part that would need to be custom-machined, which would drive up the cost. The current arrangement seems to use a 3D-printed plastic barrel-shaped insert that adapts the 12 mm diode housing to the inside diameter of the flashlight host. And while plastic is obviously not great for heat transfer, I don't think heat build-up will be much of a concern, as I don't plan to leave it on for more than 5-10 seconds at a time.

Adam

Hello, I think you need to correspond with Rich(lifetime) here or over at lPF. He will help you.

No worries - I've done business with Rich before. He's a great guy, and his machining work is amazing. It's also quite affordable, given the quality of the end product.

However, even at the very reasonable prices that Rich charges, to add the features discussed above to this unit from JL would easily triple the price I paid. And while I would be willing to do that, I know there are lots of people out there who aren't looking to spend that kind of money on a pointer.

Truthfully, I probably won't modify this unit at all. It's fine as is, and for the price I paid, I'm happy with the results.

If I decide I need something with a long duty cycle and an externally-accessible focus adapter, I'll just buy another custom-machined host from Rich and then install my diode of choice from DTR's laser shop.

Adam