Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zuckerberg, really?

Also, Microsoft has been using something like that for years for Visual Studio.

https://www.google.com/search?q=visu...w=1903&bih=977

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Also, Microsoft has been using something like that for years for Visual Studio.

https://www.google.com/search?q=visu...w=1903&bih=977
    Yeah, and then there is the bow tie! Or the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I figured that was supposed to be a mobius strip.
    It is. It’s meant to be viewed in 3D “metaverse” style.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Damn, I guess I will not be using 2:1 in Blue, for real time stuff, unless it is 1.95 :1 or rotating.

No way.... I'm a hypocrite, I keep FaceAche
    Only because it is the only way I can reach 5 female cousins when they change their cell numbers so often.

I get bombarded by Zillions of emails every day from Facebook. Writing filters is senseless because they have many, many, message formats .

Rant over.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Damn, I guess I will not be using 2:1 in Blue, for real time stuff, unless it is 1.95 :1 or rotating.

Only because it is the only way I can reach 5 female cousins when they change their cell numbers so often.

I get bombarded by Zillions of emails every day from Facebook. Writing filters is senseless because they have many, many, message formats .

Rant over.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hi Steve,

was your double-posting exactly 2:1 or 1.95:1 ?

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Rant over.

Steve
    I succumbed to FB I think around 2007 but in 2011 or 12 I finally took the time to read every word of their "new updated user agreement", and if I'd been on the 20th floor of a building my jaw would have dropped to ground level. I was shocked at what they wanted me to agree to give up. So I deactivated my FB account and I've not looked back.

Google and YouTube are by far lesser evils although they use similar algorithms to feed you adverts (to generate their income) and YT links of things you are interested in by virtue of your clicks.

The telephone and email still works grand for staying in touch with good friends and family.

OK vent to the world time sharing private information:

My daughters are disappointed I left FB, but I cannot agree to giving up so much information to that corporation. They are sneaky as hell on so many levels, if you have WhatsApp on your phone they use it to know who is using the same WiFi address as you are, it's called contact tracing and if you own an iPhone, even if the WiFi is turned off, it can still do contact tracing behind the scenes, with the new Apple locator tag card they are always using your phone as a beacon and recording locations. Apple and Google like to flag their new privacy protections, they are not protecting your privacy, they are limiting others from being able to use information they consider theirs, within their own corporations there is no privacy of your account, they collect and use everything they can get to sell your info to advertisers.

I say Zuck that, no way, and the information never gets deleted, ever. If you have had a FB account in the past, even if you delete it, or go as far as canceling the account outright, they still keep all of the information. They will probably be selling your information to generations in the future, if someone wanted to dig into their relatives past and by then it will be completely in the open, as we will be dead and gone, unable to voice against it.

My remedy to some of the privacy invasions:

1. Deleted Facebook.
    2. Deleted WhatsApp.
    3. Deleted Skype.

Use the Signal app to stay in contact, it is far less intrustive, but keep an eye on them too. For Google I use browser isolation, this is only using one browser for all things google, using their Chrome browser for anything to do with YT or Google and using it for nothing else.

If you want to further isolate yourself from them and periodically change the resolution of your monitor screen just one step (after deleting cookies), and change the clock from time to time along with the use of a VPN, that screws up their ability to pigeon hole you through computer fingerprinting too.

Of course, signing into YT with an account, god forbid one which you have paid to stop the commercials from playing which gives them your identity, will allow them to track which flock you belong to by keeping track of your interests. I don't want them labeling me one way or another, so sometimes (not every day) I give a thumbs up to videos which are completely opposite of my own opinion or do opposite day for that, one day just thumbing up what I dislike, another regular. Although I've come to a point where I don't log into YT at all anymore, just need to keep track of the channels I want to watch instead of saving them inside YT. YouTube will delete and stop notifying you of channels they disagree with anyway, or shadow ban channels which talk about anything on their taboo list. This is EVIL, they want everyone to think their THIER way, discussions which out big business are not allowed when you have a large following or channel.

I use these browsers now and only use each one for one main use, nothing else:

Google Chrome: Google search engine and YouTube ONLY, nothing else.
    Brave: Ebay, Paypal, DuckDuckgo.com general searches and forums.
    Microsoft Edge: For saving web pages to PDF documents.

Sometimes I don't follow my own best advice, but I try to stick to doing things this way. I also completely reinstall Windows from time to time, just as a way to refresh that too and when I do, I use a fake email address for the required Windows login. You can get one from emailfake.com and through that use it to activate accounts, including Google for Youtube. If you need a cell phone number for account activations, get a cheap burner phone and only use it for that.

If you watch the Rob Braxman tech videos on YT enough, you have the chance of becoming privacy radicalized, so only go there if you dare. Sure, I have nothing to hide, that is true, but it is also true these corporations can manipulate you, call you out and cancel culture you if you post the wrong thing about something they protect. Am I dependent upon the masses? Nope, I just don't like the BS going on today and am opting out as much as I can. We all know this world goes through periods of radicalizations, just wait until you will be denied work or some benefit due to belonging to the wrong group, or having the wrong interests, just going against their grain. In Germany, people lost their lives over it and back then it was much harder to collect information. I've heard of people being denied a job due to their potential employer snooping their Facebook, well, good luck finding mine.
    Last edited by Laser57; 11-01-2021 at 23:50.
    Glowing green eyes is a camera photoflash reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser57 View Post
    I use these browsers now and only use each one for one main use, nothing else:

Google Chrome: Google search engine and YouTube ONLY, nothing else.
    Brave: Ebay, Paypal, DuckDuckgo.com general searches and forums.
    Microsoft Edge: For saving web pages to PDF documents.
    I hate to break it to you, but your method doesn't hide anything from Google and all the other Google properties (Google ads, Maps, YouTube, Android, etc) since most websites out there use Google Analytics for website traffic analysis.. and all that data all goes back to Google, no matter what browser or screen resolution you're using. You can combat this in a number of ways -- never accept any third-party cookies, but that can break the functionality of many websites that depend on third-party libraries and plug-ins. You can install browser extensions that let you control cookies, I like one called "EditThisCookie" which lets you easily see/edit/delete cookies for any website. Another is "Block Yourself from Analytics" which blocks GA but you have to opt-in to each website you want to block. But these browser extensions have another problem -- you have to allow them permissions to:
    • Read and change all your data on the websites you visit
    • Display notifications
    • Modify data you copy and paste

So these browser extensions from unknown/untrusted sources also have access to your entire browser history and activity. Do you trust them with that info?

And in terms of Facebook, you don't even have to be a FB user for them to have a complete profile on you. When your friends and associates "upload their contacts" (which nobody should *ever* do for any website, especially LinkedIn), they can easily cross-match you, your phone number(s), home address, employer, email addresses, etc. So before you ever join FB, they probably already know more about you than you know about yourself.

And all these big FAANG companies (Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google) share this data because it helps each of them to share. So if you do a google search in one browser and hit a couple of websites that use Google Analytics, you log on to facebook in another browser and start seeing ads for those things you just searched for. Or you bought something on Amazon and Google has a better idea what ads to show you. It doesn't stop.

And don't get me started on the Google Home/Siri/Alexa devices that listen to everything you say. Sure, they claim they aren't using that data, but if they do all these other things, do you really trust them? I've heard that Apple/Siri are the only devices that keep and analyze the audio stream on the device. I'm not sure if that's true, but Google and Amazon definitely upload that data and match it to everything else they have on you.

And then there's the mobile phones-- Google and Apple can and do track everywhere you go.. what stores you go to, what restaurants you eat at, where you go to work everyday, where your kids go to school. The Facebook app on mobile was proven to be listening to every conversation you had (although I think they now stopped this, but how much do you trust them not exploit you in some other way?).

So you can take steps to try and mitigate these things, but in the end, they probably have all the data they need. Just remember this: If you're not paying for some product or service.. you ARE the product or service that someone else is buying.

Yep, you are correct, but if they don't know who I am, hard to sell the info to an advertiser. There are effective ways of keeping them from tracking you, if you split up enough and do the precautions I wrote about, there are more things you can do I didn't mention, the list was getting long. I understand there are people looking to gather metadata on all of us everywhere we go.

I can tell you with YT, if I mess up their device fingerprinting, they no longer know what videos to suggest to me, must be working? I believe so. I use a Google Pixel 4 cell phone running LineageOS, sand boxed from them Cell phones are the worst offenders, better to use a computer, never use a cell phone for web browsing.

You have demonstrated my points well about how much a threat to privacy big tech is with your last post, I fight them every way I can. Can I fight all of it off? Nope, but doing what I can. As soon as I see YT suggesting videos which are clearly for me personally, I swap things up, then I don't see them making those suggestions.
    Last edited by Laser57; 11-02-2021 at 02:50.
    Glowing green eyes is a camera photoflash reflection.