Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Announcing ILDAC-32 - an ESP-32 based DAC for ILDA projectors

Thanks received mine today, easy setup. Copying over some content now, will have to order up some more cards, is the system folder the only folder you require on the card? Could future updates allow for a larger card or is it at the hardware limit?
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Thanks received mine today, easy setup. Copying over some content now, will have to order up some more cards, is the system folder the only folder you require on the card? Could future updates allow for a larger card or is it at the hardware limit?
    Yes, the /system folder is the only required folder on the SD card. If you use more than one, please copy the /system folder to all other SD cards.
    At this point I don't think the ESP32 hardware supports SD cards larger than 64GB.
    But I am currently beta-testing a different ESP32 board to use in future versions, and I'll see of this different board supports bigger cards and let you know.

The targeted scan rate I am a little confused by for WAV files, I assume it is reading encode rate of the file to determine it. Will Galvo's tuned for 30K give proper playback of 30K ILDA WAV files that were recorded to ADAT at 48K being at a scan rate of 30K, or is trying to really do a scan rate of 48K?

Some of my content while all 48K WAV files is 12K, 24K and 30K scan rate.

Hopefully that makes some sense, I assume it will be fine just like regular wav playback using a USBstreamer and DZ box, but was a little confused.

I could be missing the obvious, Thanks

I

The targeted scan rate I am a little confused by for WAV files, I assume it is reading encode rate of the file to determine it. Will Galvo's tuned for 30K give proper playback of 30K ILDA WAV files that were recorded to ADAT at 48K being at a scan rate of 30K, or is trying to really do a scan rate of 48K?

Some of my content while all 48K WAV files is 12K, 24K and 30K scan rate.

Hopefully that makes some sense, I assume it will be fine just like regular wav playback using a USBstreamer and DZ box, but was a little confused.

I could be missing the obvious, Thanks
    This confused me at first too until Andrew Berry and Swamidog explained it to me. When playing WAV files, that's the interrupt clock rate based on the embedded bitrate of the WAV file. So a WAV file stored at 48kHz plays back at 48kHz. But if the WAV files are encoded for 30k scanners (or however they are stored), then that's what's played back. Hope this makes sense.

Is it possible that the directories could get sorted in order by name so that if you tell it to play all and your show tracks are split up, it would play the complete show back in order?

WAV playback from App will be great if it is able to be added. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	order.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	58906

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	order.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	58906

Is it possible that the directories could get sorted in order by name so that if you tell it to play all and your show tracks are split up, it would play the complete show back in order?

WAV playback from App will be great if it is able to be added.
    I've tried to fix this "feature", but the internal filesystem sorting algorithm sorts in alpha order, not number order. The only way I was able to fix this was to rename tracks 1 thru 9 with a leading "0" so then they all sort correctly. It's a pain to do this for every folder, but you only have to do it once. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I just wasn't able to get the ESP32 code to sort in number order. I'm sure it's possible with more code, but at the time I found it easier just to rename the tracks.

WAV playback from the app is a bigger problem to solve, since the Bluetooth Low Energy packet size is less than 200 bytes.. so I have to create a way to package up multiple payloads both on the sending and receiving end in order to download the entire directory and file lists. It's on my list for future enhancements. But also realize once you have Wifi set up, you can access the web interface on your phone with any browser.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    I've tried to fix this "feature", but the internal filesystem sorting algorithm sorts in alpha order, not number order. The only way I was able to fix this was to rename tracks 1 thru 9 with a leading "0" so then they all sort correctly. It's a pain to do this for every folder, but you only have to do it once. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I just wasn't able to get the ESP32 code to sort in number order. I'm sure it's possible with more code, but at the time I found it easier just to rename the tracks.

WAV playback from the app is a bigger problem to solve, since the Bluetooth Low Energy packet size is less than 200 bytes.. so I have to create a way to package up multiple payloads both on the sending and receiving end in order to download the entire directory and file lists. It's on my list for future enhancements. But also realize once you have Wifi set up, you can access the web interface on your phone with any browser.
    Thanks that is easy enough for both items.

Hi folks.. I have five more ILDAC-WAV units now available. Contact me here or email hanklloydright@gmail.com if you have any questions.
    Check out the website for ordering details: https://ildac32.com

Name:	291981341_10227179728989462_953985191084373793_n.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	58954

I have one pre-production unit available at a small discount. The pre-production unit is identical to the production units, except that the SD card is taped to the outside of the unit instead of inside. Here are a couple of pics (the production unit is on the right).

Name:	292109616_10227179738669704_2329020052321089416_n.jpg 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	58955

This unit is fully operational and has all the same software and components. I'm offering this unit for $180 including US shipping. Contact me if you're interested in this unit.

Name:	292120633_10227179739349721_7611010982328142017_n.jpg 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	58956

This new production run I swapped out the four MCP4922 2-channel 12-bit DACs and I'm now using a single 8-channel 12-bit DAC which makes the design much simpler. I'm also using an update ESP-32 board, but the functionality and performance of this run is identical to the previous revision.

And lastly I wanted to share a quick personal story. Last weekend we went up to the Catskills to visit my wife's sister and her family (with two teenage boys) for a couple of days. I brought along my Lasercube (with ILDA-in port), an ILDAC-WAV and a small Bluetooth PA speaker. It took me all of 5 minutes to set up in the living room and project a full laser show on their vaulted A-frame ceiling. And everything was battery powered too. It was just so easy to setup and do a show, and we even passed around the iPad with the ILDAC webpage and let other people pick and choose which shows to play next. It was really just that easy. No computers to lug around and setup, no software to load and run, and the best part -- no unexpected, forced software (or firmware) updates!!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hello everyone.. just a quick ILDAC story. A close friend of mine from college passed away in April, and the summer camp where he worked for the last 30 years had a memorial celebration this weekend.

After dinner one of the staff members started to DJ some tunes and people started to dance (and drink or course) to celebrate Kendall's life at camp. I had brought along my ILDAC-WAV and 2W Lasercube (with ILDA-in port) "just in case". There was no good wall to project onto, so I just set it up on a table and shot it at the low drop ceiling. Everyone went WILD!

Here is a 2 minute supercut of clips from the dining hall. With a 2W lasercube, you can see how it essentially lit up the place into a full blown dance party:

(the video is there, just click "play")

(Most of the laser content shown above is from SaltyRobot's shows, which just goes to show, even with entirely different music, people love laser shows! Thanks, Jason!)

We ran there for about 1.5 hours, and then we all went down to the lakefront, started a bonfire, and continued the laser show until the Lasercube batteries died -- about another 1.5 hours. The entire time, the ILDAC, Lasercube, and PA speaker were running on batteries, and the entire rig was easy to just pick up and carry down to the beach. As always, no other computer, software, DAC, or even power was needed to put on a three hour show late into the night. I think we finished up around 1am.

Here's 2 minutes of the bonfile laser show:

I'll have a few more ILDAC-WAV units available for sale in about a week (or two). Stay tuned!
    Last edited by HankLloydRight; 09-01-2022 at 14:00.

Time for another ILDAC-WAV update!

This time I used two ILDAC-WAVs and two projectors to setup our Halloween 2022 display.
    No computers or proprietary software was required or used. Just the ILDACs and projectors.
    One Lasercube for graphics, and the 2W projector that SaltyRobot built for me for the lumia.
    The lumia glass was from Ed Keefe's collection I bought at SELEM and the edges finished/smoothed off by Greg (Displaser) -- thanks Greg!
    And cfaveau 3D printed this awesome lumia glass holder for me at SELEM specifically made for the EKeefe glass samples -- thanks Chris!

Name:	IMG_4306.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	839.7 KB 
ID:	59619

Here's the video:

I've now finalized the ILDAC-WAV hardware design with a new +/-10v power supply, so it's now getting a full (wide) projection angle compared to the previous +/-5v versions.

I've also optimized the firmware so the projected images are now more stable than ever before. There are new features like linear color balance and independent X/Y size and offset adjustments.

And a brand new feature I can't announce just yet (but I will soon).

If you have one of the older ILDAC-WAV units and want to upgrade to the +/-10v version, please contact me via PM or hanklloydright@gmail.com.

I'll have ~12 new units to sell in the next few weeks, just waiting for some parts to arrive.

https://ildac32.com

Oh, and we had a special guest appearance:

Name:	313409112_10227831707728523_5571426457961663058_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	59620