Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2022 Sign-up Thread

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Hmm… I assume there’s other breakfast options nearby? A coffee shop maybe, Denny’s or similar?

Never having been there and not Googled anything, how metro-like is this area?

Greg
    Not near the B&B as it's a *little bit* more rural. There's more near the HIE since it's located at an interstate interchange. There are some places within a couple minutes of the venue. You mentioned you're staying at a Marriott or something like that near downtown Newark so you'll be close to lots of restaurants since you're on a university campus.

There is a breakfast/lunch place called Guildays around the corner from the venue I've never been to but, the parking lot is always packed and I've considered stopping sometime.

The three areas are not like a city where there is a lot in walking distance but, there is a lot within a 5 minute drive in several directions from the venue, HIE and B&B.
    PM Sent...

I thought the Elk Forge B&B had re-opened their restaurant?

I know they had closed it during the pandemic because the state had placed restrictions on how many people could be in a building and such, but surely those restrictions are no longer in place now. (Especially since other restaurants in the area are open with full capacity seating.)

Have they just decided to not re-open their restaurant?

If they are only serving a typical continental-style breakfast for just the guests, and are not open to the general public, then I guess I won't be heading over there after all...

EDIT: OK, I just got off the phone with the Elk Forge B&B. First of all, I was very impressed with their attitude. Super-friendly folks, and very attentive. As soon as I mentioned SELEM, they knew exactly what I was talking about. They remember us from last year, and they confirmed that a few people had already booked rooms for this year's event.

Anyway, about the restaurant: Turns out they never actually had a "Restaurant" per se. What they have is a large conservatory where they serve breakfast for their guests. (You can also just take your breakfast back to your room if you want.) However, they have always encouraged their guests to invite their friends and family members to join them for breakfast, even if those other people are not staying at the B&B.

Obviously there is a charge for non-guests to eat breakfast (I didn't ask how much, but I seem to remember last year we were quoted something like $12-15.?.). Also, they request that if there are going to be more than one or two extra people that you notify the management in advance so they can be sure they are prepared for the extra people. But the guy I spoke with was *very* accommodating; his biggest concern was that he wanted to be ready for the group to ensure everyone enjoyed their meal together.

So yeah, not exactly a restaurant, but it still seems like a nice way for a bunch of us to get together one morning and have breakfast together. Also, this conservatory sounds rather cozy, which seems ideal for a lengthy group conversation over a few cups of coffee. So I'm back to supporting the idea of a "Group Breakfast" on Wednesday, if that works for everyone else...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-21-2022 at 05:53.

That is great news breakfast is back, I attached the snippet from my confirmation that made me wonder. The place and hospitality at ElkForge is terrific.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	59019
    leading in trailing technology

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Hey folks,

Flights from where I live are expensive and the timing is always a drag. In order to minimize those problems. I'm coming in about 9:30p Saturday the 30th. Would anyone be available to pick me up at the PHL airport and drop me off at the hotel?

Thanks!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    You mentioned you're staying at a Marriott or something like that near downtown Newark so you'll be close to lots of restaurants since you're on a university campus.
    Brad,

After realizing the likelihood of being over there without anyone else, it was only a consideration for points. I ended up at the BnB…

Chris,

I’ll have a car, but don’t get into PHL until mid-afternoon on Sunday.

Greg
    Last edited by Displaser; 07-21-2022 at 10:00.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Heya, I ordered 5 (one more than I need) Sharp 180mw 638nm diodes so I can replace the 4 reds on one of my Lightspace Pluto II projectors at SELEM. Does anyone have the spanner tools for removing lenses and stuff from diode mounts? If so can you bring them? I might try to make some but just incase I don't get it done in time.

There is a guy who has posted videos on youtube of replacing the 4 x reds on a Lightspace projector and one video of replacing 5 of 6 on an Opt projector. Unfortunately, it just dawned on me that my quad red module in the Pluto II has different correction than the one he was working on. Hopefully the diodes are close enough. Lightspace said the reds are Nhia which I think is Ushio which was Oclaro. But I went with what the video was talking about, ordered from DTR. My projector uses a PBS cube to stack two and two where the one in the video has the 4 aligned in a square. Sharp diodes are GH0631IA2G, I ordered from DTR.

Videos:
    Lightspace repair:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIka7h8sbM
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

And people staying at the HIE, there's a big WaWa right down the street -- great for breakfasts, lunches, snacks, sodas, Tastykakes, soft pretzels, late night snack runs, and fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    And people staying at the HIE, there's a big WaWa right down the street -- great for breakfasts, lunches, snacks, sodas, Tastykakes, soft pretzels, late night snack runs, and fuel.
    Breakfast sizzili !!
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    I forgot about Wawa but, I know you're a big fan. Funny, since I see it from my bedroom window. I've just never felt that I've been affluent enough to make convenience stores a part of my lifestyle. Starbucks either.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I forgot about Wawa but, I know you're a big fan. Funny, since I see it from my bedroom window. I've just never felt that I've been affluent enough to make convenience stores a part of my lifestyle.
    I'm not sure what being a fan of Wawa has to do with affluence!?!?

Besides, there are no Wawas up where I live, so the only chance I get to go is when I'm in PA, NJ, or DE, so it's definitely not part of my lifestyle... except when I'm in PA, NJ or DE.

(Or Florida, they have Wawas in Florida).