Thread: Thoughts on SELEM presentation idea

Default Thoughts on SELEM presentation idea

I want to get a feel from the group for a presentation idea that Adam brought up.

I am a member of the 501st Legion. If you don't know who they are, they are a 100% volunteer Star Wars costuming group. Their main focus is to visit children in the hospital, Make A Wish & Give Kids the World, but they also attend SciFi Conventions, sporting events, weddings and several other gatherings. They are the only group that is sanctioned by George Lucas to use Star Wars copyrighted material.
    As a result we are required to have screen accurate costumes down to the smallest detail.

During COVID while I was unemployed I needed something to keep me busy after finishing the honey do list and hunting for a job, so I decided to build a Boba Fett costume. Adam suggested that it would be a fun presentation to have me explain how I built the costume, the process of joining the 501st and what it is like to "troop" with the 501st. Part of the presentation would be me suiting up and posing with anyone wanting a picture too.

If this is something you are interested in please let me know. My main concern is that this is a Laser event and don't want to take away from that.
    As I said Adam and I have spoken about this...heck it was his idea to do the presentation. I was the one wanting to make sure it had enough interest and people were OK with yet another non-laser thing at SELEM.

Thanks,
    Chris

I would love to at least see the cosplay. Hearing about it is even better. The only issue I have is I will only be there a limited amount of time due to PTO constraints. If i'm there when this presentation happens great but at the very least if you could bring the helmet that would be awesome.

Also when you attending DragonCon with the 501st?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I want to get a feel from the group for a presentation idea that Adam brought up.

I am a member of the 501st Legion. If you don't know who they are, they are a 100% volunteer Star Wars costuming group. Their main focus is to visit children in the hospital, Make A Wish & Give Kids the World, but they also attend SciFi Conventions, sporting events, weddings and several other gatherings. They are the only group that is sanctioned by George Lucas to use Star Wars copyrighted material.
    As a result we are required to have screen accurate costumes down to the smallest detail.

During COVID while I was unemployed I needed something to keep me busy after finishing the honey do list and hunting for a job, so I decided to build a Boba Fett costume. Adam suggested that it would be a fun presentation to have me explain how I built the costume, the process of joining the 501st and what it is like to "troop" with the 501st. Part of the presentation would be me suiting up and posing with anyone wanting a picture too.

If this is something you are interested in please let me know. My main concern is that this is a Laser event and don't want to take away from that.
    As I said Adam and I have spoken about this...heck it was his idea to do the presentation. I was the one wanting to make sure it had enough interest and people were OK with yet another non-laser thing at SELEM.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    I would love to at least see the cosplay. Hearing about it is even better. The only issue I have is I will only be there a limited amount of time due to PTO constraints. If i'm there when this presentation happens great but at the very least if you could bring the helmet that would be awesome.

Also when you attending DragonCon with the 501st?
    Hey Jason,
    Thank you for the feedback. I kinda already knew your answer though. Lol

I plan to fly the Cessna to SELEM this year so I will be able to bring the whole costume. We haven't figured out what days the presentations are yet. Hopefully you will be able to attend. If not I'm sure I will be able to work something out for you.

I haven't thought about DragonCon. Letsa get SELEM out of the way first.

Thumbs up

Hey everyone,

So yeah, I'm the one who suggested that Chris bring his costume. I was fascinated by the construction process and the level of detail that went into this costume, and I figured that other people might be interested in learning what is involved in creating something like this.

As for adding another "non-laser" item to SELEM, I don't see that as an issue. Sure, SELEM is still based around lasers, but over the years the event has grown into lots of other areas, and I think everyone is OK with that. To me, the most important part of SELEM is the social aspect anyway.

That being said, I also realize that it's a big ask for Chris to bring the full costume to SELEM. It's several bins worth of gear, and it all has to fit in the plane, which obviously has limited space. That's why I suggested that he post here on the forum to gauge people's interest first. If there's only a few folks who would geek-out at the chance to see a move-accurate Boba Fett costume, then perhaps this would be something more appropriate for one of the Florida meets instead, where Chris can drive to the event.

Adam

Chris could get up and describe how he peels an orange, and I'd be riveted to my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Chris could get up and describe how he peels an orange, and I'd be riveted to my seat.
    I think you are confusing me with another Chris. He is far more interesting than I am.
    Last edited by Lazerjock; 06-15-2022 at 08:55.