Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start learning laser hard&software

Question Where to start learning laser hard&software

Hi all,

I'm an aspiring laserist, i have always had an obsession with these lights at party's, festivals etc, and i find them to be some of the most beautiful things out there.

I would love to start learning how to control them, how to use them, set them up, how to use them SAFELY (because lord knows these things are dangerous) - But i simply have no idea where to start, and how to start

Any guidance on how and where to start and advance forward in learning would be greatly appreciated <3

Thanks in advance,
    An aspiring laserist

Welcome

this is the one stop laser show information site! check in any time you like, but you may never leave.

... especially, if you get in touch with "material processing" or "high energy lasers"

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Welcome to PL! This is the place to learn everything about lasers and more importantly, how to empty your bank account in 6 seconds, flat.

I was exactly where you are almost 8 years ago (nearly to the day) when I joined PL and made this introductory post:

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...noob-questions

Please ignore my noob questions in my first post because none of that actually happened because I didn't know what I was talking about AT ALL!! But do read everyone else's responses on how to get started with hardware, software and just having fun with this awesome hobby and community.

And if you are able, try to attend SELEM in early August in Newark, Delaware. I went that first year I joined PL and it was mind blowing, and I've never missed one since. (I also spent $1500 to buy two laser projectors there to get me started). Here's info on that: https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...Sign-up-Thread

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Welcome to PL! This is an outstanding place to learn exactly what you're hoping to learn - and even some stuff you never knew you'd want to. There is a ton of very knowledgeable, helpful people here to help answer your questions. We're scattered all over the world and, one of the things we often suggest is letting us know where you're located. Often there is someone that may live close to you that would be happy to give you a demonstration or, help with something you're trying to figure out.

As Hank mentioned above, if you're in the US - or even if you're not since people do come internationally - and have the time in early August, SELEM (South Eastern Laser Enthusiast Meet) in Newark, Delaware is an awesome, life changing event if you have any interest in this silly addiction at all. More can be found in the Meet & Greet thread.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymancer View Post
    I would love to start learning how to control them, how to use them, set them up, how to use them SAFELY (because lord knows these things are dangerous) - But i simply have no idea where to start, and how to start
    Welcome to PhotonLexicon!

As others have already said, you are in the right place to learn more about everything on your list. Go ahead and post your questions.

Also, it would be very helpful if you filled out your user profile so people can see where you are located. Often if someone is close, they will offer to meet up for lunch or something so you can chat about lasers.

Then too, there are several "Laser Enthusiast's Meetings" (LEMs) scheduled all over the globe, so if one happens to be close enough for you to attend, that would be an excellent way to jump-start your progress with this hobby.

Finally, the answer to some of your questions will depend on where you live. For example, in the USA the laws that regulate laser projectors and laser shows are very restrictive compared to other nations. So it's important to know where you're located (at least in general terms) so we can provide more accurate information.

Learning how to set up a projector and control it depends to an extent on what you want to do with the projector and what sort of control scheme you'll be using. Regarding control schemes, at the most basic level, there are projectors that can operate in stand-alone mode with no outside control. Then there are projectors that can be controlled via DMX commands from a lighting desk.

But when most people talk about "controlling a laser projector", they're referring to a combination of software running on a computer that is linked to a laser controller that converts the digital signals from the computer to the analog signals that the projector needs. Even so, there are several software and hardware options to choose from. Here's a link to a legacy website (LaserFX.com - no longer actively maintained) that has some good basic information about laser shows that you might appreciate. Just keep in mind that the site is 15 + years out of date, so while the basic concepts are still valid, technology has improved...

Before you buy anything, it would be good to list your goals first. Think about your answers to these questions:

1) What do you want to do with your laser projector? Are you mostly interested in graphics shows (that is, animated line-art style images), or abstract shows (geometric patterns and spirograph-style images), or beam shows (aerial effects with fans and sheets of light)? Or perhaps you are interested in all types of shows?

2) How much are you willing to spend on this hobby? Because lasers are very expensive... True, they used to be ruinously expensive before all the recent advances in solid-state diode lasers, but even so it's not uncommon for someone to spend several thousand dollars on their first projector. (And that's before you consider the cost of the control software or the controller hardware to go with it.)

3) Do you want to try to build your own laser projector? Building your own projector is a great way to learn, especially if you are interested in some of the more technical details behind how lasers and laser projectors work. You don't need to be an electronics expert, but you do need to know how to use a voltmeter and basic hand tools. Being able to solder is also helpful, but not strictly required.

4) Are you interested in creating your own content (images, animations, and aerial effect or beam sequences) and choreographing those effects to music to create your own shows, or would you rather just watch shows that others have created? Or are you interested in "live" laser show performances, where the operator creates effects on-the-fly to accompany a band, orchestra, or DJ?

5) Do you have any desire to perform laser shows commercially for the general public? (Warning: it is quite difficult to be profitable doing laser shows commercially. Also, as soon as you cross the line from hobbyist to commercial laserist, the regulatory rules change, especially in the USA.)

Once you've got an idea as to what you want to accomplish, share your thoughts here and we can suggest the next step(s).

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Welcome to PhotonLexicon!

As others have already said, you are in the right place to learn more about everything on your list. Go ahead and post your questions.

Also, it would be very helpful if you filled out your user profile so people can see where you are located. Often if someone is close, they will offer to meet up for lunch or something so you can chat about lasers.

Then too, there are several "Laser Enthusiast's Meetings" (LEMs) scheduled all over the globe, so if one happens to be close enough for you to attend, that would be an excellent way to jump-start your progress with this hobby.

Finally, the answer to some of your questions will depend on where you live. For example, in the USA the laws that regulate laser projectors and laser shows are very restrictive compared to other nations. So it's important to know where you're located (at least in general terms) so we can provide more accurate information.

Learning how to set up a projector and control it depends to an extent on what you want to do with the projector and what sort of control scheme you'll be using. Regarding control schemes, at the most basic level, there are projectors that can operate in stand-alone mode with no outside control. Then there are projectors that can be controlled via DMX commands from a lighting desk.

But when most people talk about "controlling a laser projector", they're referring to a combination of software running on a computer that is linked to a laser controller that converts the digital signals from the computer to the analog signals that the projector needs. Even so, there are several software and hardware options to choose from. Here's a link to a legacy website (LaserFX.com - no longer actively maintained) that has some good basic information about laser shows that you might appreciate. Just keep in mind that the site is 15 + years out of date, so while the basic concepts are still valid, technology has improved...

Before you buy anything, it would be good to list your goals first. Think about your answers to these questions:

1) What do you want to do with your laser projector? Are you mostly interested in graphics shows (that is, animated line-art style images), or abstract shows (geometric patterns and spirograph-style images), or beam shows (aerial effects with fans and sheets of light)? Or perhaps you are interested in all types of shows?

2) How much are you willing to spend on this hobby? Because lasers are very expensive... True, they used to be ruinously expensive before all the recent advances in solid-state diode lasers, but even so it's not uncommon for someone to spend several thousand dollars on their first projector. (And that's before you consider the cost of the control software or the controller hardware to go with it.)

3) Do you want to try to build your own laser projector? Building your own projector is a great way to learn, especially if you are interested in some of the more technical details behind how lasers and laser projectors work. You don't need to be an electronics expert, but you do need to know how to use a voltmeter and basic hand tools. Being able to solder is also helpful, but not strictly required.

4) Are you interested in creating your own content (images, animations, and aerial effect or beam sequences) and choreographing those effects to music to create your own shows, or would you rather just watch shows that others have created? Or are you interested in "live" laser show performances, where the operator creates effects on-the-fly to accompany a band, orchestra, or DJ?

5) Do you have any desire to perform laser shows commercially for the general public? (Warning: it is quite difficult to be profitable doing laser shows commercially. Also, as soon as you cross the line from hobbyist to commercial laserist, the regulatory rules change, especially in the USA.)

Once you've got an idea as to what you want to accomplish, share your thoughts here and we can suggest the next step(s).

Adam
    1) My main interest would be live control / timecoded beamshows as usually seen on concerts/electronic dance events.

2) I don't really know how much i could reasonably spend on equipment so long as it's strictly hobby, it would be nice to eventually have even a single laser, and some form of hardware to control it with, but as of right now, i hardly know anything about laser control, so i'd like to have basic knowledge of how to operate stuff, before actually getting into buying something

3) I pretty much have no experience building anything electrical, so i'll pass on building my own (for now)

4) Live control! I'm very much interested in branching out to doing this as a profession, should i get experience and skill enough to do so. Obviously that also means that knowing how to make your own effects will likely be a requirement too, but my main focus for now would be to actually do live control

5) I won't rule out the possibility of me wanting to do this commercially. I'm lucky i live in a country that is very big in Electronic music and both indoor and outdoor festivals/parties being done pretty much every weekend. I know of a few company's in my country that do lightshows, so if i end up wanting to do this professionally, those would likely be my first place to go to. But for now, let's imagine this as just a hobby and me wanting to learn

(I should have edited my profile to have my location, this forum very much reminds me of old school social media's and i'm having a bit of trouble finding my way around the settings etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymancer View Post
    1) My main interest would be live control / timecoded beamshows as usually seen on concerts/electronic dance events.
    In most cases, the lasers for concerts and electronic dance events are not pre-choreographed. Instead, the show is performed live by the laserist. That means there's no time code. The laserist is selecting cues and effects in real time to both match the beat of the music and the overall look of the rest of the show (including lighting and other special effects that may be preset). This obviously requires a good sense of timing and rhythm. Here's a short video that shows what this might look like. (They're using an external control surface in the video, along with a lot of other equipment, but you can do these same effects without all the add-ons by just clicking on the controls on the monitor.)

Admittedly, some of the largest concert and stage productions will have a "click track" that is used to synchronize the tempo of all performers. This can be SMPTE time code, or more commonly just a simple audio track. Either way, most modern laser show software can support an external BPM sync signal, making things a little easier for the live laser operator if the signal is present. Even if there isn't a click track, most software also supports "tap sync", where the operator hits the spacebar (or some other key) repeatedly to set the beats-per-minute. (Starting at around 21 seconds in the video above, you'll see the operator repeatedly tapping a button on the APC-40 midi control surface; he is using the "tap-sync" feature to set the BPM of the software to match the beat of the song.)

Regardless, if this is the area that most interests you, then you will be best served by purchasing a commercial laser show software and controller package so you can start learning. You'll also need a computer (or laptop) to run the software, and of course, at some point you'll also need the laser projector itself.

2) I don't really know how much i could reasonably spend on equipment so long as it's strictly hobby, it would be nice to eventually have even a single laser, and some form of hardware to control it with, but as of right now, i hardly know anything about laser control, so i'd like to have basic knowledge of how to operate stuff, before actually getting into buying something
    It's going to be difficult to learn how to control a laser projector without having the hardware and software to practice on. Fortunately, you can run the software without a laser projector hooked up, and you can use the show preview window on your monitor to get some idea as to what the show would look like.

Most commercial laser show software will require that you have at least the controller hardware connected to the computer before you can launch the software. (The controller is the piece of hardware that sits between the computer and the laser projector and converts the digital signals from the computer to the analog signals that the projector needs.) Expect to pay $300-$600 for a complete package that includes both the laser show software and the hardware controller.

To that, you have to add the cost of the laser projector itself. I don't know what prices are like in Belgium, but here in the USA you'd be looking at a minimum cost of about $1000 for a low-power projector, and most people end up paying closer to $2000 for their first projector.

3) I pretty much have no experience building anything electrical, so i'll pass on building my own (for now)
    Fair enough! Not everyone is comfortable working with electricity, and that's fine. Just keep in mind that there is a wealth of expertise here on the forum if you should ever decide to give it a try.

4) Live control! I'm very much interested in branching out to doing this as a profession, should i get experience and skill enough to do so.
    A word of caution: it is difficult to be successful doing laser shows, especially if you're trying to make it your full-time career. The laser show market is very small when compared to lighting, sound, and stage production. Costs are much higher, regulatory requirements are more stringent, and in general, clients are less inclined to spend money on lasers compared to the rest of the production. Even as a part-time endeavor, there are significant challenges to launching and operating a laser light show company. And due to the small size of the market, competition for laserist positions with large, established laser companies is fierce. Most of the time those positions are filled from within; someone who has proved their worth as a roadie, or stage hand, or lighting assistant, is given the chance to learn about the laser show side of the business...

That being said, it is possible to start out with a single laser projector and "learn by doing". I can think of quite a few professional laserists who started out with very humble beginnings, and who eventually climbed the ladder to become successful laserists. These people all had a keen eye for the art form, and they all spent a great deal of time perfecting their abilities. They also ended up doing a lot of traveling, and I'm sure they spent many late nights loading and unloading trucks full of equipment. So it's certainly doable. The fact that you are in Europe (where laser shows are more common) certainly helps.

5) But for now, let's imagine this as just a hobby and me wanting to learn
    Then as I mentioned above, your best best is probably to purchase some laser show software and start experimenting. In my opinion, Pangolin's Quickshow is a good place to start. (Pangolin is by far the biggest player in the industry.)

Another thing to consider is trying to meet up with other laser enthusiast's in your area. I see you are in Belgium; there are several PL members in the Netherlands, and they host laser enthusiast's meetings (LEMs) from time to time. The folks in the UK also host LEMs now and then. Attending one of these events is a great way to meet other, like-minded laser hobbyists and get a sampling of the types of shows and effects that can be created with a laser projector. (Look in the "Meet and Greet" sub-forum for information about upcoming LEMs.)

Adam

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Buffo mentioned Pangolin's Quickshow software that runs on a PC but you will also need an ILDA standard DAC (Digital/Analog Converter) for each projector.
    Just a quick clarification: The Quickshow package includes both the software and the FB3 controller, although these days the price is closer to $550 for the set. (Inflation and all that...)

I started by testing freeware like LaserShowGen, Modulaser & others, before purchasing LaserShow Xpress Basic (2 projector license) + 2 Etherdream II DACs for about the same $ as Quickshow. But, the less expensive alternatives and freeware are often contributions made by enthusiasts, who may or may not provide after sales support.
    Great point! I agree that a copy of LaserShow Express (LSX) plus an Etherdream controller is a *great* way to get started for far less money. Admittedly though, the learning curve for LSX is a bit steep.

Also, as Whiskeymancer is in Belgium, it might be worth his while to investigate some of the commercial and home-brew options that are more popular in Europe. (This is another reason why it's so helpful for a new laserist to attend a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting early on. It gives them a chance to "test drive" the software and hardware combinations that other people are running, before they buy anything for themselves.)

I'm developing my own laser controller, using the Teensy 4.1, 3 audio shields (X,Y,R,G,B signals) and an Akai APC40 MIDI desk, with Cakewalk's free DAW for timeline work.
    Whoa! Seriously? This sounds *very* cool! Would you be willing to start a new thread in the Programming sub-forum to talk some more about this project and maybe post some pictures? I'm sure several people here would like to learn more about it.

For that matter, SELEM is coming up in about 6 weeks, and while I recognize that the East coast is a bit of a haul from the American Southwest, I'm sure you'd enjoy the event. Plus it would be a great place to demo your project. Give it some thought! (Details in the Meet and Greet sub-forum.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Swamidog's YT videos rekindled my love of lasers.
    Chris has been a genuine inspiration to many people here on PL. I'm thankful that he's a part of our little community here on PL.

as an old school Laserium laserist, I am already very familiar with cycloids and found myself always 'fighting the bit' of LSX
    LSX is some seriously powerful software, especially when it comes to the expression editor. I've stated before that it's possible to create a complete show using just a single frame consisting of a single point that is then washed through multiple effects and expressions to create a variety of beam, aerial, and abstract elements. But to do this requires a solid understanding of the math behind rose curves, and that's something I never mastered. At least with an analog console you don't need to understand the underlying math to create beautiful abstracts, right? (Although analog consoles have their own learning curves...)

My Achilles heel back in the day (apart from the hassles and expense of touring w/ion gas lasers) was being dependent upon the cooperation of freelance analog electronics gurus to develop the controllers. I wanted everything, but they only wanted to get paid, then move on to other projects.
    PhotonLexicon was created because Robert (Spec) was dismayed by how hard it was to learn about lasers and laser shows. As you pointed out, many of the old-school laserists were notoriously tight-lipped about their gear. No one wanted to share their knowledge; instead, they hoarded it, fearing that if they let it out, they'd lose their business. Fortunately, this website has attracted a community where the opposite is true. Here, people are happy to share their knowledge and experience, making it much easier for people to get the help they need to get started, or to get past a sticking point on a project.

Lasershow 101: Never attempt to demonstrate a half-baked project.
    HAHA! It's true that we are our own worst critics, but we also recognize when someone is demonstrating something that is a work in progress. Call me an optimist, but I'd like to think that getting feedback from others while in the process of building something is always a good plan. I'm a huge fan of leveraging the expertise of other people. That way I don't have to do everything myself! (My model for success: Fill a room with people who are smarter than you, then introduce an idea and see what they come up with.)

I looked back at the CYGN-B thread, and that jogged my memory of your project. It seems that it's quite a bit further along than you implied earlier! Admittedly though, it's also a bit over my head. Looking at the block diagram you posted is like trying to follow the signal path through a Z5, or a Radiator. I just don't have the intuitive grasp of that workflow yet. (Which is painfully evident whenever I start twiddling knobs on any abstract console...) That being said, I am working on it.

Yes, I'd love to meet everyone in the community. Many, I know by name or reputation, but have only met few old timers, because nearly all of my laser work was in Europe and Great Britain. Now, I'm only the pest on swamidog's YT comments sections. lol!
    I'm sure the community would be equally interested to meet you. The crowd at SELEM is a mix of old timers and new enthusiasts, but we all share a common interest, and that's been more than enough to forge some very tight bonds within this community. I've been a member of several different communities over the years (former Navy "Nuc" Submariner, former Commodore Amiga computer enthusiast, former HAM radio operator, etc) but my closest, dearest friends are all SELEM veterans. That says a lot about this community.

What are you up to? Still doing shows? I've noticed your very helpful PL posts and you've obviously been in 'the game' for a while.
    I'm flattered! To be honest, while lasers have been a life-long passion for me (literally since middle school), I didn't get into the commercial side of things until the early 2000's, and even then that was only as a "helper" for another company on a very part-time basis. (Like two or three times per year.) Eventually I discovered PhotonLexicon, and joining the community here definitely spurred me to get a lot more serious, but even so, commercial laser shows have never been anything more than a part-time side job for me. I didn't even have my own variance until 2012. (Which, ironically, was a year AFTER I obtained my laser safety officer certification from ILDA!) I've always identified as a hobbyist first, and a commercial laserist a distant second.

That being said, I have been very fortunate to have been included in some interesting productions. When I was most active, I was doing maybe 6 or 7 shows per year, but right before Covid hit I had cut things back to just 2 or 3 shows per year. Like everyone else, all of my gigs dried up as of March, 2020. In fact, I finally had my first post-Covid show just last month, so that's a 2-year + dry spell. But as lasers were never meant to pay the mortgage, I managed OK. I still have my day job, and I'm actually still working from home for that one, which is great.

I owe a debt to PhotonLexicon, as my participation in this community is largely responsible for me being offered the chance to participate in larger shows. (I'm sure SELEM also helped, but SELEM never would have happened without PhotonLexicon either.) My success is a testament to Rob's original commitment to creating a community where information is shared freely. I agree with that philosophy, which is why I spend so much time trying to help others. The cool thing is that I don't need to have all of the answers myself. Being "plugged in" to this community means I have a long list of people who are *way* smarter than I am when it comes to a wide range of topics, so more often than not I can just suggest that they reach out to so-and-so to get the information they need. But I also do my best to learn and retain the information posted here by others.

Adam