Thread: Where are the SSDLs?

Default Where are the SSDLs?

I've been reading a little bit about Solid State Dye Lasers and was going to see if anyone here knew why we haven't seen any of these yet? The concept is old and materials seem pretty straightforward. With the proliferation of cheap, moderately powered green and blue (DPSS and direct diode), I would have expected to see more of these. Am I missing something? I want some God damn yellow!

I'm expecting Steve to chime in with some good insight because he seems to know damn-near everything about every coherent light source!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

SSDLs are used right now as an extension of the delivery arm on green pulsed dermatology lasers. Makes for the disposable wavelength option, 10,000 or so pulses, dispose of the whole canned module, then screw on another one. They are starting to arise.

Also used as wavelength conversion on incoherent IPL systems, basically as a phosphor to recover the UV and keep it off the patient. No resonator, so not lasing, but very much done.

Possibly to come to a video projector near you, or in a "lab on a chip" system in a micro-resonantor.

Not forgotten, just not there yet.

Lutronic Spectra SD 585nm Gold Toning Dye Laser Handpiece Acne Erythema Redness | eBay

or

Cynosure Photogenica Cynergy Vascular Pulsed Dye Laser 595 5 mm Handpiece | eBay

Liquid Dye is making a resurgence in scientific lasers, too... SP sells a pulsed dye system for lab use. So does Sirah.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-27-2022 at 11:55.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thank you, Steve. I knew you would have the skinny on these lasers. I would love to see some low power yellow CW in the 30~80mW range to match sm diode setups. I was reading that 2W of 515~532nm would get about 20+mW of 577nm coherent goodness. I guess the demand for such lasers hasn't merited the time and cost for development. Still, it would be fun to experiment with some R6G infused polymer gain media.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 07-28-2022 at 06:22.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

... I was collecting parts for dye lasers, but yet not enough time to get into - have a N2 TAE pulsed laser (Nitromite LN103 - 30Hz, 200ps pulse-time, 400kW peak energy, 337nm), how it was developed as UV source for dye lasers... and two glass cubes, emitting "yellow-green" when hit by UV light ... and two plastic "flowers" emitting "orange" while in day light or UV ... and two ruby rods ...

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425