Thread: Projector for Home Use - Sales and Show Variance Assistance Suggestions

Default Projector for Home Use - Sales and Show Variance Assistance Suggestions

Hey All,

I'm looking into getting a projector for home use just to tinker with. I have LaserShowGen and a Helios DAC already. FB4 is interesting, but I don't need it.

I've been looking at Golderstar and Opt, but I understand that both arrive without a variance. Honestly, I have more money than time, and don't really feel like chasing a government agency around for weeks or months if I can avoid it. I've searched around a bit, but can't seem to find any recent answers.

I'm more interested in beam shows than image projection. Something around 3W RGB, DT40-ish, Analog Modulation (of course).... corrected optics or high quality diodes would be nice... I like crispy lines.

I don't plan on doing anything public, but I understand that even purchasing a projector (entering commerce) probably requires me to have a show variance. Do you fine folks have any suggestions as to whom I could speak for perhaps both sales and assistance with a show variance?

Also, while I don't mind spending a little more, I'm pretty opposed to a lot more... for example, I have no need to buy KVANT stuff at like 6 times the price of Opt. This is a toy to put in my basement and make shows for youtube, at most. To put concrete numbers on it, the Opt PD3000-RGB is $800 shipped and fits my needs pretty nicely, from what I can tell. I'd spend maybe $1000-1200 for similar features with the convenience of having a varianced device, and some help applying for a show variance (if needed), but I'm not going to spend like $2500 or $4500... at that point, it makes more sense for me to just deal with the variances myself.

The ideal person would be someone in the US who buys Opt projectors, gets them varianced, marks up the price for his/her time, and then resells, but that person may not exist.

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers!

Edit: Also, please correct me if my understanding of the law is incorrect. Thanks!
    Last edited by silentgloves; 08-23-2022 at 10:45.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

In the confines of your own home, NO Variance needed in the USA, Within your back yard, with NO light within 2 meters horizontal, 3 meters vertical from any guest location, and 100% terminated, not within 7.5 miles of a Helipad or Airport, and say singlemode diodes, no one will say a thing. Do not charge admission or advertise. Texas, Arizona, Massachusets, other rules may apply.

Keyword here is NOT in public. Not in a club, not in a bar, not in a school, not in a park, nor where dogs freely bark.

Keep away from Pets, Toddlers, Children, Drunks, and the Nieve.

Let it into airspace or off your property in any way, and you can have a world of hurt with a Felony from the FAA for an Airspace Violation. Keep the light terminated.

You can own any laser you want in the USA, with the exception of a few states where it needs registered. it is how you USE it. Personal Use on own turf with no payment or benefit changing hands, your good.

Be safe and keep it away from eyes. Watch out for scatter or beams chandeliers, other reflective surfaces, even dull metal.

www.laserpointersafety.com has some interesting reading.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks for the info!

Just as a follow up, I called an office at the FDA and spoke to a few different individuals. No one could give me an answer there, which isn't particularly surprising.

After that, I reached out to Roberta McHatton who sits on the ILDA board, and she also assured me no variances are needed for my use case.

Along with your response, I find this to be satisfactory.

I ordered an Opt PD3000-RGB.

Cheers!