Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Halloween 2022 plans?

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    that is one of the funniest things i have seen in a very long time.
    Thanks! I'm sure others have thought of it, too but it came to me one night and it seemed like a funny jab.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Can you briefly describe how you made this? Was the lettering hand carved or did you use some sort of printed template?

My wife wants one!

So, the TLDR version is, I take three 1.5" sheets of insulation foam, cut to 24"x48". I cut them all to shape with a jigsaw (easier to control than a hot knife). Then use 3M 77 contact cement and give the layers a good coat. Stick them together and sand the edges because they're never going to be totally square. Then, I print the epitaph and tape it to the tombstone to use as a template. I use a utility knife with a brand new blade (to keep from gouging). I cut the letters out, cutting to abut .5" in depth. Once all the letters are cut, I take a screwdriver and gouge out the cut letters. This leaves a very convincing and unfinished surface for the letters while the walls of the letters are finished. Then, I paint the whole tombstone with flat black latex paint. While the paint is still wet, I cover the tombstone with 20 grit sand. I dump off what doesn't stick to the paint and let it dry. Then I roll grey latex. The trick is to roll lightly. That way, all of the imperfections and cuts will still remain dark. Because of the sand, the black paint ends up looking like a dark grey but with a stone texture. This was the first time I have ever applied a "stone" spray paint. It looks okay, I am not a huge fan of it but it will look much better when I weather it. For weathering, I take the flat black paint and mix with water, 50/50. Wet the tombstone and then take a rag and saturate with the paint/water mix and squeeze in onto the wet tombstone. The black will streak. The good thing is, if you don't like the way the streaks look, wash and try again. A lot of steps and it makes a huge mess but it's not terribly difficult.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220808_232405.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	59347

Name:	20220808_232654.jpg 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	59348

Name:	20220809_160846.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	59349

Name:	20220919_133307.jpg 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	59350

Name:	20220920_111043.jpg 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	59351

Name:	20220920_113357.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	59352

Name:	20220925_082755.jpg 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	59353

Name:	20220925_093556.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	59354

Wow... great "in progress" photos -- thanks for posting!!

I might give this a shot next year... don't have time between now and HW to take this on.

But by next year the joke won't hit so well (I hope).

Looking great absolom7691!!!!!!!!

My grave stone were left over styrofoam from an old hot tub cover my neighbor was throwing out. I use a hot wire to cut mine. Like absolom7691 said though, it isn't as presise.
    I used spray paint on mine. You need to be very careful though, the propellant will melt the styrofoam. The trick is to stay back far enough that the propellant evaporates before it gets to the foam. I still had some melting, but in the dark with all of the other effects going, no one can tell.

I've used the pink insulating foam before too. It works great and it's cheap!!

I'm a big fan of chicken wire to form my ghosts and creapy little girl. Just wear leather gloves when doing the forming.

Another trick is to chill you smoke machine output. It will create a really neat rolling fog that stays on the ground (as long as there isn't any wind).
    I use a cooler that I cut a 4" hole in the front and back. I bought some 4" aluminum flexable duct and crammed as much as possible in the cooler without kinking it. Attach the duct to the holes in the front and back of the cooler. I used duct tape to seal it. Fill the cooler with ice. Pump the smoke through and enjoy the spookyness.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    So, you've put a bit of thought into this project, I see. I'm genuinely impressed with your process and the end result. Is this a process that has evolved over a long period of time or were you winging it, based upon the results of each treatment? Whatev, looks great!
    Love the engraving!
    Just trying to decide whether to use a roller and acetone on a plastic project box to texture it's surface and get rid of the glossy plastic look. All of the cutouts for the controls and connectors are finished, so it's one of those now or never moments.
    Thanks for sharing your process to add food for thought.
    You are truly a man of many talents.
    BR
    Thank you!!!

This process has evolved over time although, it hasn't changed all that much. It still takes a bit of time but I put on some music and spend the day in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Looking great absolom7691!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

My grave stone were left over styrofoam from an old hot tub cover my neighbor was throwing out. I use a hot wire to cut mine. Like absolom7691 said though, it isn't as presise.
    I used spray paint on mine. You need to be very careful though, the propellant will melt the styrofoam. The trick is to stay back far enough that the propellant evaporates before it gets to the foam. I still had some melting, but in the dark with all of the other effects going, no one can tell.

My very first attempt at doing tombstones were met wit much disappointment due to the foam dissolving. Needless to say, I was within 10 inches of the foam when spraying!! I was told by a fellow haunter back in 2010 to paint with latex first and then spray. I found the latex paint worked so well that I didn't even bother spraying. This was the first time I have spray painted a tombstone. I like the look of it so far. I need to see how it weathers.

I've used the pink insulating foam before too. It works great and it's cheap!!

I have seen a lot of people use it so it mush be a lot better than what I'm using. I can't ever seem to find it around here. I have wanted to try it though.

I'm a big fan of chicken wire to form my ghosts and creapy little girl. Just wear leather gloves when doing the forming.

Your props look awesome! I also like the fence you have in front. Very cool.

I need to start building props and characters for my yard now. I started to animate a skeleton with a DMX controlled servo board. I still haven't finished working on it. He was supposed to be stirring the cauldron that I am working on this year. He was supposed to be stirring and speaking an incantation, trying to raise the dead. As he stirs, something goes wrong and the cauldron erupts in green smoke, then he starts again. I just haven't had the time to finish it this year so, it's just going to be a bubbling cauldron that erupts.

Another trick is to chill you smoke machine output. It will create a really neat rolling fog that stays on the ground (as long as there isn't any wind).
    I use a cooler that I cut a 4" hole in the front and back. I bought some 4" aluminum flexable duct and crammed as much as possible in the cooler without kinking it. Attach the duct to the holes in the front and back of the cooler. I used duct tape to seal it. Fill the cooler with ice. Pump the smoke through and enjoy the spookyness.

I never went the cooler route. I think it looks great, with super thick and low hanging fog. I use https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced...0010/100211970 This gives me a really good effect and cool and distributes the fog very well. It rises up only about 4 feet when going through the pips so, it gives a mist vibe, too. I normally run 3 fog machines with the pipes attached. I have one each at the extreme ends of the yard and then one in the middle. That way, no matter which way the wind blows, it will still cover the yard! The good thing about using the pipes is, after the fog blasts are done, the residual fog that accumulated in the pipes seeps out for about 30 seconds or so. This helps with keeping a "constant" flow of fog, even when they're not emitting. I seem to run out of fog fluid almost every year!

Name:	IMG_20191031_102302098_HDR.jpg 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	59357

Name:	IMG_20191031_175534886 (1).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	59358

Name:	IMG_20181031_201917661_LL.jpg 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	59359

Name:	IMG_20181031_195702062_BURST000_COVER.jpg 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	59360
    Last edited by absolom7691; 10-12-2022 at 07:50.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post

I never went the cooler route. I think it looks great, with super thick and low hanging fog. I use https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced...0010/100211970 This gives me a really good effect and cool and distributes the fog very well. It rises up only about 4 feet when going through the pips so, it gives a mist vibe, too. I normally run 3 fog machines with the pipes attached. I have one each at the extreme ends of the yard and then one in the middle. That way, no matter which way the wind blows, it will still cover the yard! The good thing about using the pipes is, after the fog blasts are done, the residual fog that accumulated in the pipes seeps out for about 30 seconds or so. This helps with keeping a "constant" flow of fog, even when they're not emitting. I seem to run out of fog fluid almost every year!

I wish I could use the courigated drainage pipe, but in Florida I don't have any leaves on the ground during Halloween to hide it. All our leaves fall much later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I wish I could use the courigated drainage pipe, but in Florida I don't have any leaves on the ground during Halloween to hide it. All our leaves fall much later.
    That makes a lot of sense. I sometimes have trouble finding leaves, believe it or not. There have been a few years when I couldn't find a lot of them and let me tell you, it looks bad! So, I feel you!

Question

I hope nobody minds me posting here as my first post since it’s fairly Halloween related. I found this forum while trying to research the good or bad of “home brew” fog juices.

I stumbled across this insanely informative post from 2014- https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...-own-fog-juice and have read through the entirety multiple times. After which I though, “Ok! I’ve got a solid grasp of this.” One of the primary takeaways being- Commercial fog juices are fine with glycerols and glycols because they have additives which inhibit the formation of undesirable chemicals, keep things shelf-stable, etc. DIY juices have no such protection.

Super, makes complete sense. Then I look at some of Froggy’s SDSs, only 2 of which still has glycerine as an ingredient, and nothing about additives. Hmmm, ok that’s fine, SDSs don’t have to include anything less than 1%, and certainly this stuff would be far less than 1%. Because I wanted to complete my due diligence I gave Froggy’s a call and talked with one of their techs. “We don’t put anything else in our fluids. If it’s not on the SDS, it’s not in there.”

So… what am I missing? Are glycerols and glycols produced in such a way (since 2014) that additives are no longer required? Is the tech mistaken? Am I missing something else?
    Last edited by CaptainO; 10-26-2022 at 16:07.