Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000 Drones Flying at Burning Man 2022

Default 1000 Drones Flying at Burning Man 2022

This is the most impressive drone aerial display I've seen, so far.
    Burning Man 1000 Drone display
    Part II
    Part III
    Who needs a planetarium to simulate the universe?
    I remember Laserium audiences being mesmerized, just like the folks in this video, by slowly morphing abstract laser imagery similar to this choreography. Eyes eagerly watching to see what happens next. Open minds, receptive to the experience, briefly escaping all other worldly concerns. Same artistic stimulus, but using a different medium.
    The rebirth of the essence, rising again from the flames like a Phoenix? JS

Reckon it's only a matter of time before the LEDs are replaced with LDs.
    😎
    Last edited by TheHermit; 09-15-2022 at 23:13.
    What goes around, comes around;
    We project what others reflect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    This is the most impressive drone aerial display I've seen, so far.
    Burning Man 1000 Drone display
    Part II
    Part III
    Who needs a planetarium to simulate the universe?
    I remember Laserium audiences being mesmerized, just like the folks in this video, by slowly morphing abstract laser imagery similar to this choreography. Eyes eagerly watching to see what happens next. Open minds, receptive to the experience, briefly escaping all other worldly concerns. Same artistic stimulus, but using a different medium.
    The rebirth of the essence, rising again from the flames like a Phoenix? JS

Reckon it's only a matter of time before the LEDs are replaced with LDs.
    😎
    Truly mind-blowing, eh? These vids are amazing! Thanks for sharing. I've seen others recently, but this is orders of magnitude better.

Imagine the software involved in that. Not only is there the art of the 3D imagery, but each drone has its own flight path that avoids collision with any other.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Wish I could, but that's beyond my imagination. Pretty sure that the drones they're using have proximity detection to avoid collisions. Individual flight paths (start ref > end ref) can be sent to groups, as demonstrated during their docking sequence, with <end ref> being their home position.
    But, the face with rotation alone must have taken weeks worth of programming, I reckon.
    Then, also consider the complexity of routing the inherent traffic within the RF network. 🤯
    Last I checked, each of these 1000 drones can range between $1.5K and $15K for the latest model with all the bells & whistles.
    I use drone software for program defined flight paths, albeit for a single drone, but amazingly accurate in 3D coordinate space. This concept is the same, just expanded significantly with each drone on a particular receiving frequency and includes proximity detection.

Would it not be possible to put each unique flight path on each drone and sync via time code?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Reckon so. But the whole swarm can also have a common xyz offset position, as well.
    There's obviously many control algorithms, all harmoniously synchronized, including manual real time compensation for wind speed. Reckon GPS gets all up in their business somewhere abouts. Then, there's always the mandatory safety regs for manual emergency procedures, like a 'Come Home" red emergency land button, er some sorts of bureaucratic nonsense.
    😎
    accurate altimeter'ing via GPS and cross referenced to local altimeter sensing plus FAA's mandate to fly below 400' since the lowest aircraft can fly in uncongested VFR areas is 500' AGL (above ground level).

Thanks. 👍 Spoken like a real drone pilot, who knows where his towel is.
    "below 400'? But, how can Elon put on a Starlink light show, then?
    I'm wondering whether they still use traditional RF controls or have their guidance
    been upgraded to MCU's like ESP32's for the AI functionality and communicate over WiFi. Perhaps both?🤔

Starlinks are orbiting satellites.
    Drones (hobbyist and the newer potential delivery drones) must fly between ground and 400 feet, must be in positive control of the operator who must fly while maintaining visual contact (and be able to tell the direction, speed, etc. visually). These amazing drone light shows use modified RF transmitters that are all under computer control, but all drones RF transmitters and receivers of this kind are on 900Mhz or 2.4 GHz while newer drones may be on 5.8GHz.

Yeah, that was kinda the point of another one of my silly jokes.

Meh, mere child's play for Mr Musk. But, he probably should cool his jets on any space lasers. 😜

Hmm... verrry inter~resting...Sounds like LORA or WiFi frequencies, which are also technically RF, of course. Perhaps something like this that's been neglected in my parts cab? It's LORA xceiver is 915 MHz (US standard) & WiFi @ 2.4GHz, 802.11bgn, 802.11b.
    One of my original maker projects after retirement was a remote controlled HD security cam on a gimbal, with a servo controlled telescopic zoom lens. Wanted to stream the video via LORA over long distances, but it was too slow.
    Pivoted to a poor man's multiroom SONOSish music streamer, which led to a Polk speaker system. But the RPi receivers would lose sync and couldn't produce 5.2 surround, so that pushed me to regroup again with a Denon AV receiver.
    Well hell, after investing that $ into a sound system, so I figured, "Why not just go whole hog and build a laser system?" That was only last year.
    Of course, none of us laser addicts have stopped at one projector, have we. Gotta have a L/R pair of beamers to compliment the central primary image projector(s), don't I? 😜
    God forbid that I even think of getting started on drones.😱
    In the case of 2.4GHz and higher RC aircraft now days use frequency hopping to avoid interference with standard WiFi frequencies.

Cool LoRa, TheHermit. There always seems to be a path from one innovation to the next.

My buddy's creed that I adopted back in the mid 80's was that anything being "created" was always the "Final Before Last" or FBL.

@TheHermit,

Slightly OT, but you should see some of my speaker systems. I built a 3 way digital ox line array that is pretty insane. 186 voice coils. -3dB at 18Hz.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Default (I had to look up SONOSH music streamer and Polk speakers)

TheHermit, You just wen way over my head with today's sound enhancement and reinforcement technology. You setup sounds very awesome.

I still have and use my JPL 4411 Studio Monitors driven by my Marantz Model 16 stereo power amp, but hardly get to hear them due to wife's disdain for just barely loud music. But the power amp and speakers get fired up now and then. I had two McIntosh 60's (my love and joys) but included them along with my Voice of Theater A5's when I built and sold my LaserMaster system to a Dallas planetarium.

I think you have the right strategy in life, so keep up the good work, maintain your focus and keep that ol' gray matter a workin'.