Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New format for laser shows - time to upgrade the show production

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    if you want to watch old laser shows in your living room or drive lasers from your modulars, great...
    Nothing mandates old laser shows being confined to a living room.

While ILDA compromises of a lot of people who work in entertainment and make it their job and earn money in it: they are also very invested.
    There is practically no financial gain to really being an ilda member (I mean that as a positive).
    It also offers "the little guy" to talk to some of the bigger guys/manufacturers who attend the meetings and make their work seen and increase the set list of demands from modern software to push the envelope some more.

I trust someone more who literally uses this nonstop and sees flaws/inefficiencies as he goes then someone who does it every so often from home and still hasn't embraced a mouse in content creation/digitizing.. and would never really learns the practicalities in time constrained decisions.

Regarding IDN: I think the protocol was released way too late.. manufacturers had already implemented their own and had no incentive to go back from their work anymore.. my issue with IDN too is that the licensing is very strange.. with some kind of weird profit model for the original developer who hopes to earn back his time and the dac's listed by dexlogic are really expensive for offering no software.... an open enviroment at a higher cost then already functioning closed software at a far lower cost doesn't incentivise the movement/development.

Regarding the pallete discussion earlier: Modern software just like modern picture editing software can literally just select a color or a range of colors and swap them for you with like only 3 clicks or so...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

hey pj!

IDN is an open and documented standard. there are no implementation / use / licensing fees. you can buy hardware from dexlogic, or you can build your own. software / source code / libraries and documentation are free for download at the ilda-digital.com website.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Regarding IDN: I think the protocol was released way too late.. manufacturers had already implemented their own and had no incentive to go back from their work anymore.. my issue with IDN too is that the licensing is very strange.. with some kind of weird profit model for the original developer who hopes to earn back his time and the dac's listed by dexlogic are really expensive for offering no software.... an open enviroment at a higher cost then already functioning closed software at a far lower cost doesn't incentivise the movement/development.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thats great!
    I thought someone mentioned to me there was some kind of licensing involved to parts of the code.. but guess that was wrong then!

Still the lack of implementation in programs has what has been holding me off getting an IDN compatible dac (there aren't too many either I think).
    It's like they always say.. content is key.. even if the format/protocol/hardware is better on paper.

I think that's one point that hasn't really been fully addressed. Content is key and more developers working on and in the implementation and use of any format makes it mature, robust and full featured. That's why it frustrates me to read that wav (or text or whatever) isn't any good because no one uses it.

No one uses anything... until they do.

And again with the mouse thing, really?

My refrigerator doesn't have a steering wheel either. It seems to be doing its job alright.

As far as ilda is concerned, it probably has evolved its attitude a bit over the past 2 decades. There was a perfectly good proposal for 24 bit color in 04. That's didn't go too well when someone outside implemented it and wanted to collaborate. It wasn't until 08 (I think) that another solution was offered and that specification was behind the members only curtain of the website. I think it was 13 when it was finally brought out into the light of day.

Last edited by james; 10-12-2022 at 07:53.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

yeah. i wish there was more native interoperability between vendors. that would certainly help.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Thats great!
    I thought someone mentioned to me there was some kind of licensing involved to parts of the code.. but guess that was wrong then!

Still the lack of implementation in programs has what has been holding me off getting an IDN compatible dac (there aren't too many either I think).
    It's like they always say.. content is key.. even if the format/protocol/hardware is better on paper.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

yeah. i wish there was more native interoperability between vendors. that would certainly help.
    It's no good because no one uses it.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

/ignore james

(smh)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It's no good because no one uses it.

/ignore james

(smh)
    That's what you always do when you can't counter my valid statement.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

we're all still waiting for you to have a valid statement.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    That's what you always do when you can't counter my valid statement.