Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Let's amp up the discussion on OpAmps (Operational Amplifiers) and how they work

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Ha! That is funny. I didn't notice that.
    I'm the reason Sheldon is a vexillologist in his spare time. Flags were a hobby in 5th-6th grade.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Oh, I don't know if it is such a problem... Seems GAP and his team solved that one too..

Depends where the breakpoints in the diode array are located.

A feller could have himself a pretty good time in Vegas with these:

http://www.philbrickarchive.org/k3_s...components.htm

The theory was known:

http://www.philbrickarchive.org/wide...multiplier.pdf

Mask defined math using electron beams.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/ge...nd_qk_256.html

Steve
    Very interesting links, thanks again Steve.

Oh wow. Yeah, those are whopping interesting links. Thanks Steve. I'm checking if these devices were available at the time of the development of radar. Oh yeah, it's right there.
    Last edited by Greg; 02-17-2023 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I'm surprised Dean hasn't commented on this thread. He knows all kinds of stuff about op-amps. Whenever I needed a schematic for something, I asked him. In high school he made his own phono preamp with the RIAA equalization and a headphone amp. He made a really nice electric guitar preamp for me, that can do stereo (a pickup in each channel) that has a high input impedance to avoid the high frequency roll-off that would otherwise be caused by the inductive reactance of the pickup coils.
    OK...

I was first introduced to op-amps via an electronics correspondence course that I took in high school around 81. Around the same time, Mom gave me a
    DIY Sinclair ZX-81 computer kit before I even knew I wanted one. Learning Ohm's Law was one thing, but dealing with inductive and capacitive reactance
    and total impedance in an AC circuit using a two-dimensional number system was mind blowing. With a little inspiration from an op-amp cookbook and
    a desire to try predicting the behavior of a circuit before wiring it, I designed a cheap phono preamp for headphones. I programmed my ZX-81 to graph
    a math model of the phono EQ and tone control design like a TI graphing calculator well before such a thing existed.

All those bike trips to Radio Shack! Fortunately, there was a record store next door so I could kill two birds with one stone.

I never got around to putting it in a case. Not pretty to look at, but it sounded good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230217_235743r.jpg  

20230218_002217r.jpg  

I still remember your Koss Pro 4X headphones. The low end was insanely over emphasized and they were so sensitive you could plug them directly into an electric guitar with passive pickups, no amplification, and clearly hear the guitar.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Had me worried there for a moment -- looks like that's only for the TL084CD version, and none of the others.

Luckily I use the TL084CDN version which is still in production.

I can't imagine TI ever killing the entire TL084/TL074 production. I've never been able to find a compatible replacement that can do +/-10v.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Hi, Hank!
    Luckily, I've learned to order SMDs by the 100s, because of the price breaks and shipping costs for small orders. I'm good on TL084's for life! 😎
    BR
    Roj
    Great! I'm not to the point of doing SMT assembly yet, so I'm still beholden to current stock levels.

This thread reminds me of the "Intro to Op-Amps" presentation that Andrew Berry did at SELEM back in 2018. I wish someone had recorded that one!

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    This thread reminds me of the "Intro to Op-Amps" presentation that Andrew Berry did at SELEM back in 2018. I wish someone had recorded that one!

Adam
    I think I may have that. Didn't I transfer the SELEM videos I've come across to you while we were on the cruise?
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Didn't I transfer the SELEM videos I've come across to you while we were on the cruise?
    I didn't have enough space on the external drive for all the files.

Maybe I can get those from you at SELEM this year. (I'll bring a larger drive!)

Adam