Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone test the 1.6W Sharp GH04I01A2G 425nm

Default Anyone test the 1.6W Sharp GH04I01A2G 425nm

I can't seem to find any pics or test info for these guys. I even looked on the *other* forum and couldn't find any tests. I have no doubt that they'll have a nasty FA, just like all the other big blues. 425nm though, that should fit into a nice deep blue/violet color but probably way more visible than the 405nm diodes. 405nm makes my eyes go buggy, almost like the laser spot is out of focus. Hopefully, these will fit a nice violet niche that's easier on the eyes!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11578521846...3ABFBMhPaSkPth

Now that I am looking at the listing, it looks like these might be prototype runs?? A lot of info on the spec sheet is TBD.

We need Jordan to run some tests on these!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought one. I can't give any power tests since I don't have a LPM but I can give some beam profile info and beam color pics when the diode arrives and I get it pressed into a module. The only available collimators I have to test with are; Acrylic, 3 Element Glass, and standard barrel G-2. Looks to be a few weeks before it arrives.

Will be interested to see how the color compares to 445 nm...

Honestly surprised that Jordan hasn't tested one of these already. Although if he's not offering them on his site yet, that could be why.

Adam

My 425nm arrived today. I need to press it and test. I'm still at work but will get on it when I get home. I'm anxious to check it out!

So, the rundown. They are definitely more violet than 445nm and to the eye, it's very apparent. CCD cameras seem to have a horrible time displaying it. I tried to take pics but my camera was not having it. My eyes can focus well on this wavelength and the beam color is rather pretty to look at.

The beam quality is garbage. Not as bad as a mitsu red but only just. With a G2, at 5.5m (20ft), the collimated beam (uncorrected) was about 25mm wide on the FA. The Acrylic lens fared a bit better. At 5.5m, the stripe was about 15mm.

For graphics, this is out unless you correct the beam via prism pair or cylindrical lens pair. There is enough trash that spatial filtering would benefit, as well.

This will be going into my lumia for some color variation.

Now for the pics. The comparison is against an old M140 445nm. Again, this was the best I could get so, the color difference on camera isn't striking but it's clear to the eye.

425nm on the left, 445nm on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230519_201442.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	60249

With G2 at 5.5m

Name:	20230519_202417.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	60250

With Acrylic lens at 5.5m

Name:	20230519_202736.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	60251

Attempted beam pic... 445 on the left, 425 on the right

Name:	20230519_203024.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	60252
    Last edited by absolom7691; 05-19-2023 at 21:05.

Overall impression. Pretty color and maybe good for a fuller spectrum of Violet, Blue, Cyan, Green, Red but to find dichros... Yikes. They are plenty bright, even being at the violet end. These supposedly top out at 1.6W so, a bit of power there.

Do I think these are worth $90? Probably not with the amount of correcting they would need just to get more color depth at the short end of the spectrum. Maybe wait until these hit $70ish or less unless you're just wanting to add another wavelength to your collection.

I had always considered 445nm violet to start. 457nm was considered violet and 473 blue in the argon days.
    my favorite pallet even if not the most efficient
    660 577 543 488 473 445. Six lines that give you nearly any mix you could want.

543 is my choice for green. It’s a beautiful emerald green though it may be a touch yellow for some folks
    the other is 525. It’s right between mint 515 and 532. I got use to 532 but I never loved it.

in the reds I can tell the difference between 632/635/638 red and 660/671. The deeper red makes a difference but you need a lot of power that’s harder to get.

577 is yellow and nothing else is.

I put 488 in there but I really think 495 would be better for the aquamarine. Blending this in gives nice pastel pallets.

true blue to me is 473 it’s just the perfect ink blue.

457 is the real violet to me as I can see it without messing up my eye balls. 445 and up are just to hard to focus.

there’s my not so scientific impressions. I find these hold in light and dark rooms.

I guess I should toss 605 in there as I’ve never seen a good orange to mix and make a true brown.

I made a lumia like this….was a mess. Too many lines but for graphics why not.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I had always considered 445nm violet to start. 457nm was considered violet and 473 blue in the argon days.
    my favorite pallet even if not the most efficient
    660 577 543 488 473 445. Six lines that give you nearly any mix you could want.
    Of all the modern blues, 445 is the ugliest, and I mean UGLEE... lol. I could never stand it. 462~465 is not bad but I am with you, 473 is the best blue in the post ion era. Still a deep blue color without any mistaking for violet but just shy of a sky blue or cyan. It's the reason I still have my 473 dpss... I just can't bring myself to part with it, even though I never use it! 488 is too cyan for me, even though that was a main blue argon line. I never liked it for blue.

543 is my choice for green. It’s a beautiful emerald green though it may be a touch yellow for some folks
    the other is 525. It’s right between mint 515 and 532. I got use to 532 but I never loved it.
    I am with you here, too. I like 525nm. That is the sweet spot for me. As for 543, I still have a Green-Ne but it was sub 3mW so, I never really got to do much with it outside of just admiring that I finally had a different color laser than just red (I got into lasers in the 80s when I was a teenager so, HeNe's were the only game in town on a burger flipping budget).

I don't mind 532, it's pretty but it's a "punch in the face" kind of green and almost harsh. I find 520nm a little too "US Green Traffic Light" color to look amazing. So, 525 is it for me.

in the reds I can tell the difference between 632/635/638 red and 660/671. The deeper red makes a difference but you need a lot of power that’s harder to get.
    Between 632 and 635, I can't really tell a different other than beam quality, obviously! HeNe's had such a stately beam and color. But I prefer 638~640. It has the punch that the narrower reds have but still a nice deep red color. I also like 660/670, ahhh, that deep ruby color. What's funny is, I cannot stand 650. Blech. What an ugly red. Somehow, I see it as too soft and no punch whatsoever. It's like the worst of both worlds... It lacks any hint orange but also none of the deep ruby red from the longer lines. It's just a neutered red to me. It's awful!

577 is yellow and nothing else is.
    Agreed. I just got a 590ish summation dpss and though it has a yellow hint to it, it's orange. Not as orange as a 614nm HeNe but still, not yellow.

I find this very interesting. Color is very subjective and though there is a lot of biologic physics going on here, I am curious how different people see the colors based on personal preference, nostalgia, biologic eye characteristics, even minor variations in equipment... I did a similar thread about green lines several years ago. https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...re-fascinating

For reference, pics of the 590nm laser I just got:

Name:	20230510_192333.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	60254

Name:	20230514_021338.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	60255
    Last edited by absolom7691; 05-23-2023 at 08:52.

I thought about getting one of those and decided its not 577nm so I'd pass. actually 575-579 will work.

I'm a Yellow Snob, and I'm alright,
    On the photonic lumia stage, I take flight.
    Crafting visions, in colors so bright,
    Bringing magic to life, with pure delight.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I thought about getting one of those and decided its not 577nm so I'd pass. actually 575-579 will work.
    Good choice. I got it to play with but 10mW at best and no filter on the IR. Cool color but not yellow! I'd love to see 100mw or so of direct inject 575~580 but nearer to 575nm. That would be awesome. I am trying to remember what other lines the orange HeNe's would put out. I know they were multi-line. I need to ask Google.

I'm a Yellow Snob, and I'm alright,
    On the photonic lumia stage, I take flight.
    Crafting visions, in colors so bright,
    Bringing magic to life, with pure delight.
    I love it!