Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Reviews of restored numbers

There was a background effect. (Laserium speak for Lumia.) If I'm not mistaken it was pretty standard wheel (think art glass "granite", except it was plastic and the "flat" side really was flat... I'd really like to know where to get that plastic- sigh.) there was also a stand off with linear bumps or perhaps it was the first lacquer effect. (There was a lacquer stand-off and a lacquer wheel. Both had about a 3/16" hex hole matrix where the holes were filled with lacquer. You just dipped them in lacquer and spun them slowly but until the lacquer setup. The result was a bunch of little negative lenses.) I played Summer Madness with a square - you could play the spiral fine frequency to the music, I think it had z axis rotation enabled, maybe an offset or joystick.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    There was a background effect. (Laserium speak for Lumia.) If I'm not mistaken it was pretty standard wheel (think art glass "granite", except it was plastic and the "flat" side really was flat... I'd really like to know where to get that plastic- sigh.) there was also a stand off with linear bumps or perhaps it was the first lacquer effect. (There was a lacquer stand-off and a lacquer wheel. Both had about a 3/16" hex hole matrix where the holes were filled with lacquer. You just dipped them in lacquer and spun them slowly but until the lacquer setup. The result was a bunch of little negative lenses.) I played Summer Madness with a square - you could play the spiral fine frequency to the music, I think it had z axis rotation enabled, maybe an offset or joystick.
    My performance notes (yes, I still have them...) says fixed cycloid 1 (circle), right joystick set for rotation at 9:30 to 10:00, color mod 1 at freq 7.0 (this was on the model 4 projector BEFORE the installation of 10-turn pots!)

Ron

Here's some not particularly exciting results showing a brief clip from summer madness with FCXY equivalent cycloid, joystick rotation, and PDM depth. Is this what the PDM effect on the FXCY is supposed to look like?

video clip:
    https://youtu.be/SJwuSkTwnWo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FXCY_with_PDM.jpg  

summer_madness_PDM.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Here's some not particularly exciting results showing a brief clip from summer madness with FCXY equivalent cycloid, joystick rotation, and PDM depth. Is this what the PDM effect on the FXCY is supposed to look like?

video clip:
    https://youtu.be/SJwuSkTwnWo
    If my memory serves me (it rarely does...), this number was highly color-moded with CM1 to the point where you only saw 1 or 2 small spectra, and the spiral PDM rate was adjusted so there was only one "string" connecting the two PDM'd shapes. It was a hard-to-adjust number, but the audience (and I!) always enjoyed it. In those places in the music where the notes "shiver" (best description I have for the brief notes) we added on another oscillator to make the image "shiver".

Ron

There's something wrong with the relative gain. In my memory the PDM offset was maybe 4x greater. I don't think I played it with colormod, maybe chopper. There will always be 2 retraces, but they will be close together if the PDM frequency is close to the fixed cycloid major frequency.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Or somebody changed the choreography... I saw Summer Madness and performed it with first generation tapes. I'm leaning to this being a re-choreographed version.

Thank you, Brian and Ron for the recollections from your past performances. Given that all out colormod is to be reserved for certain parts of a show, it's great to have confidence that it is being used where intended. As well, the correct use and limits of the PDM and gain are of those obscure points of knowledge that are satisfying not to have to guess on. The video here shows summer madness and the following number prophecy, set up to experiment with colormod effects that go beyond the colormod2 signal I have been using so far. The colormod effects are not there in this video:

https://youtu.be/XpyKgY0gAEw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FXCY_with_PDM_2.jpg  

Here's Fugue In D. Anyone here remember seeing or performing this?

video:
    https://youtu.be/C9WBNWklyQY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FugueInD.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Here's Fugue In D. Anyone here remember seeing or performing this?

video:
    https://youtu.be/C9WBNWklyQY
    Niiiiiiiiiice!!!!

Regarding Toccata & Fugue, the real video is available here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgqoiAIAPXA
    This version is so much better than my first guess at it, with lots going on to not leave out.

Regarding ports printed backwards: A perfect solution I never would have seen. Thank you Roj.

Regarding 3D, I'm trying to imagine the 6b / 352 system of gains, offsets, enables, speeds and cues, rotations, joysticks, statics, all that stuff making equal sense when expressed in traditional 2D, and when switched into the 3D universe.

The SAGE did amazing 3D imagery, but I don't know of it doing separately computed 3D real time per channel. That's a new capability. How best to use it?