Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my old analog console

Quote Originally Posted by Kevint View Post
    OK, still can't sleep.

The circuit on the left. If 10 is shorted to ground it turns the transistor on, voltage is then passed to the JFET to amplify signal 4. 5 is a square wave input and H I'm guessing is a sawtooth/triangle ramp. Both of those signals go to the multiplier. Not sure of the pinout for A9 or what the output of A9 pin 4 looks like. A multiple of the square wave and H.

Going to sleep now. Maybe.
    A square wave generated on the spiral card (later used for blanking) comes in on pin S. A 0-10V signal comes in on pin H that controls the amplitude of the square wave. Pin 10 just enables the signal to get to the X axis summing amp. It was just a somewhat adjustable square wave signal added to one axis of the fixed cycloids. With fixed rotation enabled with slow variable rotation it was a nice look in Laserium II's Summer Madness.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Laserist: that's for that. I'll skip that section for now.

Any info or schematic for color mod II and what the KQO does. Would like to the color mod II for the AM input for the ramps.

The arduino solid state relay system is working really good. I'll test it with the fixed oscillators and see how it does with signals running through it.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    A square wave generated on the spiral card (later used for blanking) comes in on pin S. A 0-10V signal comes in on pin H that controls the amplitude of the square wave. Pin 10 just enables the signal to get to the X axis summing amp. It was just a somewhat adjustable square wave signal added to one axis of the fixed cycloids. With fixed rotation enabled with slow variable rotation it was a nice look in Laserium II's Summer Madness.
    The answer to exactly what I was going to ask. The data for Summer Madness is in one of a few shows that didn't decode, but possibly changing the algorithm to time between reversals of slope instead of zero crossings will recover the data. I'm working on that now.

Keviin: see CYGN-A page 4 and 5 regarding the KQO.

Thanks Greg that was a big help. Built a fixed quadrature oscillator for the fixed images. Here's the results. Please see images.

Looks Awesome!!! I'll fine tune the gain outputs to even them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240323_183831.jpg  

20240323_183845.jpg  

20240323_184338.jpg  

Added the summing op amps with a pot to balance the gain. Sent the immage to the scanner and got a great looking circle. This circuit worked so cleanly that I'm just going to hardwire a board.

This has been a great day. Spent the morning with the grandkids and built electronics in the afternoon and evening.

I would like to the build the KQO but not sure what some of the parts are.

1. u1 = ?
    2. What op amps are recommended for A11, A12, A13?
    3. Alternate part suggestions for the P-Channel JFET 2N3820
    4. Not sure how to wire the 10K pot at points L and M and if there is some type of input
    needed.
    5. Not sure what the difference between the KQO image and the image from the Spiral Generator SPGN card. Can some post some examples?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240323_213340.jpg  

Sounds similar to my idea of a good day too. I can tell you all about the KQO and the SPGN. I have wiring diagrams, breadboard builds, and a component library able to supply the construction of a few more of each. Give me some time though. I'm testing to see if I got the Summer Madness data.

Greg: that sounds absolutely wonderful.

What's really make days like yesterday exceptionally nice, is having absolutely wonderful grandkids.

KQO generates a spiral like cycloid. It is a dampened sinusoidal wave train with quadrature signals out. It stands for Keyed (pulsed by a narrow blip from a 555) Quadrature Oscillator. There is a resonance adjustment in this circuit that does whatever the resonance control on an analog synthesizer does to a resonant oscillator. In effect, it varies the number and density of loops in the spiral. There also is part of the circuit called clippers that impose voltage limits, thus trapping the spiral's outer loops within a square. There is an extremely interesting reason for this. There is also a symmetry control which attenuates X and Y gains.

The interesting thing about the KQO is that it only looks right when used on the GS scanner that you are using. In that case, the squared off loops become an accretion disk, a graceful fly back trace lifts off the 2D plane, and the symmetry control produces a much loved twisting eye effect.

The SPGN is a board that contains, as well as other functions, the resettable ramp generator and 2QMM units to amplitude modulate XY input signals. Thus, it can create "spirals" out of a cycloid. The board has both analog and digital parameters that are controlled by the data track. I have tamed the complexity of this board by isolating the resettable ramp generator, which also generates the very useful PDM signal, and keeping that functionality while moving the complexities of inverse, diamond, and sweep, and the AM itself, into software.

The restored 6b panel has an analog AM block which uses the AD633 4QMM.

I find it endlessly interesting to observe children playing and learning. A useful short list of things that kids reach milestones in in various ways at various ages is social, physical, cognitive, emotional, and language. I recently observed a 3 year old refer to the bump on one's wrist as "The ankle of my arm." The same child presented me with a "letter fossil" which was a backplane with a raised letter T on it made out of toy connecting blocks. Do your grand kids enjoy you making up nonsense words and anthropomorphizing objects with funny voices?

Greg: This is great info - not sure I grasp everything, but that will come with time. Thanks so much for sharing.

What does PDM stand for?

I started to hardwire the fixed image oscillators. The breadboard went together easily and they worked perfectly so I'm just going to build them while I wait for the AD633s and other parts to arrive.

Not so much with nonsense words, but with nonsense stories. They say something silly, I'll add a silly comment and we go back and forth building a story - which can take a good chunk of time. It actually gets pretty funny as we enjoy laughing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevint View Post
    Thanks Greg that was a big help. Built a fixed quadrature oscillator for the fixed images. Here's the results. Please see images.

Looks Awesome!!! I'll fine tune the gain outputs to even them out.
    Kevint and Greg, is this the schematic you both are discussing and that Kevint just built?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QuadratureOsc-laserist-CYGN-A.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	61025