Thread: Anyone have a Avantes AvaSpec-2048 Spectrometer? Need calibration assist

Default Anyone have a Avantes AvaSpec-2048 Spectrometer? Need calibration assist

I recently purchased a used Avantes AvaSpec-2048 spectrometer, it's consistently reading a bit more than 1.2 nm high, the HG-1 calibrator allows me to see that and mentally subtract the error from the measurement, but I'd like to have the instrument reading correctly. If anyone has experience with one of these and can walk me through calibrating the software (not the spectrometer itself) so it will read correctly, please contact me or post here. There is a label on the back stating "no calibration required" which leads me to believe the software is adjusted, not the instrument.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AvaSpec.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	528.6 KB 
ID:	61011 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peaks.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	61012

The Mercury and Argon Peaks shown on the right are what the Ocean Optics HG-1 calibrator is producing, the results of my measurements are a screen capture shown on the left which don't match what the calibrator is specified to produce, shown on the right. Is it possible the HG-1 might be producing skewed wavelengths on its output somehow? My understanding is the peaks are all atomic resonances, so I don't see how they could drift off any amount.
    Last edited by Laser57; 03-22-2024 at 13:28.
    Glowing green eyes is a camera photoflash reflection.

Is there a service anyone can recommend to get this calibrated?
    Last edited by Laser57; 04-07-2024 at 07:56.
    Glowing green eyes is a camera photoflash reflection.

I suggest you reach out to Dan Briggs. At the recent UKLEM he had a spectrometer (not sure which one exactly) and he mentioned that in general they all needed to be calibrated slightly, but he also said that this was normally done in the software, not the head. Hopefully he can point you in the right direction.

Adam