I am evaluating adding a laser performer to a show, and its safety issues. I am aware of all the issues with laser scanners, and safety regulations. I am also aware of the systems designed to permit safe audience scanning. My question is about the laser performers, who pretend to grab a light beam and manipulate it. They use lasers that they hold in their hands. (the picture below is using a hand-held set of lasers)
Laser Performer.jpg
Sorry for the large image... It shows much smaller in the editing window. But a preview shows it much bigger. I can't find a way to control the size of the image in a messge.
Looking at the many videos of the laser performers, I've seen varying intensity of the beams, and varying beam widths, which obviously is closely related to the wattage of the laser. What concerns me, is that the aim of those laser beams is purely controlled by the performer. Consequently, I see a lot of performers doing audience scanning with this hand-held laser. I doubt there is a system, comparable to the ones used on scanning system, that will work with these hand-held lasers. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I have seen videos of laser performers at Disney. So I presume it is possible to do this sort of thing safely. The one I just reviewed of a Disney performer, when he used the hand-held lasers, there was no scanning of the audience. So, apparently the performer own skill was the safety system. Also the show design was a factor, since the hand-held beam segment was actually fairly short. So, the performer could devote more attention to safety.
I know divergence of the beam has been discussed in other threads, as being an important feature to make the beam safe for audience scanning. I didn't realize it before, but now that I am looking for it, I do notice more divergence. The way the beam is handled tends to reduce the perception of the divergence.
Is anyone here familiar with this type of performance?
-Joe


Reply With Quote
buffo

