Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lumia beam orientation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,295

    Default Lumia beam orientation

    I'm thinking about lumia and have come to the conclusion that beam orientation is a thing. For example if I want to illuminate an octagonal faceted glass "crystal" separate beams means only one will hit the sweet spot. I've considered a prismatic approach to get the beams to intersect on the lumia wheel. I've considered using galvos and mirrors to fold the off axis beam(s) back toward the center. It gets crazier from there. Is anyone else doing more than just simple perpendicular stuff?
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I'm thinking about lumia and have come to the conclusion that beam orientation is a thing. Is anyone else doing more than just simple perpendicular stuff?
    Further to our previous conversation, I'm in the middle of using Bryan's TMC2209 drivers, CNC glide rails, and linear steppers to build a quad rotating SFX box to mount in front of an RGB projector.
    As previously discussed, the plan is to trim the rectangular RGB beams' perimeter, ahead of the galvos, with a 1/8" dia spatial filter to obtain a consistent color mix (TBD) of any color.
    Without rotation, a lovely lavender beam can 'explore' sweet spots around the sfx glass, while changing the color of the single cloud.
    A single beam can be split into multiple beams of any color, with blanking in between, using ILD points, in any relative orientation, for overlaying multiple clouds moving in any direction, depending upon where they are located around the circular sfx glass.
    A central vortex can open up to surround central cycloid(s), like a wreath.
    Inline RGB creates a (LII style) spectral flow of the same cloud. Abreast creates discrete clouds of different colors.
    My sfx box is designed to stack any combination of 4 * 50mm diameter sfx lumia in front o any projector's galvos, including 2 independently counter rotating lenticular diff gratings (ass-u-ming I can still source some), enabling 16 potential combinations (admittedly, not all combinations would be useful).
    You're correct, the creative potential gets really crazy, artistically speaking. The point is to be able to smoothly flow through many variations to maintain interest throughout a song.
    I'm also interested in learning whether anyone else is doing this. I've seen the GOBO wheel, with only 2 + none single sfx options, and LaserWizard's amazing rotating diff video, but nothing similar to my build.
    Been working with aluminum prototypes, but I've designed custom bezels to be 3D printed. Upgrading to timing gears and belt drives, instead of direct drive friction rollers.
    Last edited by TheHermit; Yesterday at 00:22.
    Would a bird's mating song be more alluring if composed by human intellect? 🤔

    ==================================================
    T4 Laser Synth, Reaper DAW, Behringer X-Touch, APC64;
    3W PD3000-RGB OPT Projector;
    3W W3000-RGB custom Projector;
    Quad rotating sfx lumia Projector, WIP.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    I toyed with using a scanner (or scanners with dicros after the scanners) with the beam(s) focused at or prior to the scanner(s) and a lens to re-collimate the scanned beam(s). Never found big enough dicros, but I didn't try that hard honestly.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

  4. #4
    mixedgas's Avatar
    mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Yeah, I have 50/50 beamspiltters in an install on a slide, split the lumia off to a very close by mirror and double the image on the screen with an um, overlap.

    May or may not work with abstracts as well, I will never confirm nor deny the exact details of how to do that... Moight have something to do with more than one moving mirror on a slide.

    And there is this LSDI inc. Idea, by no means mine, "ZOOMIA".....

    Old motorized CCTV lenses are on Ebay....

    Neos once sold a recombining prism for PCAOM waste beams... Might be an idea there.

    Neos Program Number, Wavelength in nM, Frequency in MegaHertz, Yes, you can interpolate for the diode color channels if you know how to talk to the RF PLL chip. Mind the Polarization if using Diodes... Waat, MY PCAOM has value today? Oh yes.

    676* 49.05
    1 647* 51.72
    2 632 53.20
    3 575 59.82
    4 568* 60.76
    5 530 66.50
    6 528 66.84
    7 520* 68.23
    8 514* 69.36
    9 501 71.85
    A 496 72.67
    B 488* 74.74
    C 476* 76.40
    D 472 78.36
    E 465 80.10
    F 457* 82.21

    IF ITS NOT THAT TABLE< ITS THIS ONE:

    0 676* 47.17
    1 647* 49.72
    2 632 51.10
    3 575 57.50
    4 568* 58.35
    5 530 63.75
    6 528 64.04
    7 520* 65.32
    8 514* 66.39
    9 501 68.69
    A 496 69.69
    B 488* 71.38
    C 476* 73.85
    D 472 74.67
    E 465 76.29
    F 457* 78.19
    * Standard NEOS Factory settings

    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-28-2026 at 09:59.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    124

    Default More than one way to split a beam

    Optical beam splitting is one way.
    Plotting an ILD frame of multiple dwell points, with blanking for isolation is another.
    For example, consider 4 white (full RGB) beam points, being sequenced @ 30 Hz.
    * Symmetry can split a single merged beam into only 2 beams along either axis.
    * Size splits a single beam into 4.
    * Rotation around the Z axis, can simulate rotation of a static sfx glass or perhaps match the sfx glass rotation rate.
    * Beam(s) positioned away from a central vortex to around the perimeter controls cloud flow direction.
    * When I apply pulse colormod at the same 30Hz, it simulates TTL RYGB onto those white points.
    * Slow sine CM can slowly change cloud RGB color and/or via PWR fade any point in/out.
    I have a 3D cube with 8 points rotating in 3D, previously used with cycloids (cycloids are inappropriate for lumia clouds, IMO) & CM on the vertices.
    Lots of creative potential for lumia, I reckon.
    Of course, many other structures yet to plot.
    Last edited by TheHermit; 09-28-2026 at 13:13.
    Would a bird's mating song be more alluring if composed by human intellect? 🤔

    ==================================================
    T4 Laser Synth, Reaper DAW, Behringer X-Touch, APC64;
    3W PD3000-RGB OPT Projector;
    3W W3000-RGB custom Projector;
    Quad rotating sfx lumia Projector, WIP.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •