Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ILDA file default color tables

I found a format 3 ILDA file in one of the Mamba Black shows. Does anyone know what this frame is for? It doesn't appear to be anything useful to me so I ignore them.

Hi Gary,

Check the ILDA Format doc that I sent you. Format 3 was an experiment. The experiment failed and was subsequently abandoned by ILDA. Frankly, I am surprised to read that even so much as a single company actually implemented it... It was never a very popular format, even during the "experimental" phases...

Best regards,

William Benner

Hi Bill,

I'm surprised to read that the format 3 is a failure. I can understand that there were concerns about filesize but in todays world of 350GB harddisks that is hardly an issue.
    How are format 4 and 5 coming along? Will they support true RGB color info?

Matthijs

I now see that the ILDA file standard says Format 3 is obsolete. But what was it ever for?

"Format 3" was a failed attempt at adding "True Color" to the ILDA file format, but it was way too complicated for most people to implement. Also, it would not allow "direct playing" of the ILDA file through small flash players (this discussion does not apply to the FB3 since the FB3 uses its own format anyway). Also, it left a number of doors open and questions with regards to error handling.

In reality, at the time "Format 3" was being discussed, Format 4 and Format 5 had already been implemented (Format 3 was skipped, just because the bit combination worked out more sensible for Format 4 and Format 5) and these formats were already in experimental use at the time. So, during the years that Format 3 never took hold, use of Formats 4 and 5 were flourishing. So Format 3 was abandoned.

Best regards,

William Benner

In contrast to format 4 and 5 , format 3 allows the use of RGB values _and_ a palette index for each point. If a system does not support RGB it can ignore the format 3 section that specifies RGB values and treat the point value sections (format 0/1) as regular paletted ilda files.
    Format 4 and 5 do not store palette values so cannot be used by those systems that do need them.

It seems that format 3 was a good attempt by ILDA to keep backward compatibility and still include RGB values.