Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself!!!

Just really noticed this thread, so here goes:

Born the year of Sputnik, and grew up south of Chicago near Lockport. My interest in science and chemistry took a back seat to bicycling and normal high school behavior of the early '70s. Rode transcontinental in '76 with Bikecentennial.

Went to Vincennes University in Indiana to become a Laser Technician (LEOT), then moved to the Silicon Valley for work (Spectra-Physics, Line Lite Laser, LiConix). Built a holography studio in my apartment and started making holograms there in '81.

I've been a professional holographer since around '84. Made all kinds of holograms for all kinds of applications. Working for the past ten years with a research venture looking for applications for a relatively new type of hologram recording material.

Other hobbies include telescope building, solar observing, and collecting vintage lasers. I also still ride a bike (built my me in '82 on a custom built frame by Bruce Gordon), mostly as a fair weather commuter but recently with the San Jose Bike Party.

So after 53 trips around the sun, I'm just as fascinated by laser now as on the first day I saw one advertised in the 1967 Edmund catalog (which I still have). Wish I had one of those lasers in my collection now!

alright i have seen most people has already gone before so now its my turn

Name: Johan Bernardus aka Edison
    Occuption: Electricien, (sparky for some ) electrical cabinets builder.
    Hobbies. Building lasershowprojectors, Restoring old gramophones, phonographs (edisons great invention besides the lightbulb) restoring cars. Traveling in a camper.

when i was 18 years old i bought a ELV system and it didn,t work out that well. A good quality system in those days was not affordable. I discoverd that i have an eye for restoring things so that became my hobby and still is. Acctually i have 4 in my living room at the moment. About year ago i rediscovered the lasers and it has certainly changed alot, especially prices So i tought lets do it right this time so i build my first RGY. Next will be an RGB. With 457nm 250mw!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Restoring old gramophones, phonographs (edisons great invention besides the lightbulb)
    Cool

I have an old original Edison wax cylinder phonograph in mint condition and a fair few rolls, also have various other old music boxes (Reuge) and Victorian picture albums with built in music boxes.

Nice to find someone else here who appreciates that sort of stuff.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Cool

I have an old original Edison wax cylinder

Jem
    I knew there was something about you guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_st..jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Cool

I have an old original Edison wax cylinder phonograph in mint condition and a fair few rolls, also have various other old music boxes (Reuge) and Victorian picture albums with built in music boxes.

Jem
    Got any Metallica? My aunt had an Edison phonograph that I've wanted so bad since I was a kid. She ended up dumping it for like $30 to feed her gambling addiction. I would have given her a couple hundred.

Great! Nice to see that there are more people like old stuff. I have two edison Phonographs , a His Masters Voice and 2 Pathe,s . I also have a coin-operated Gramophone from slovenia. I have restored more then 60 machines but to keep everything that is impossible. I like the restoring part but i rather sell them to share them with others so people can enjoy these machines.Nice picture of the golden moulded wax cilinder. You have them in two and 4 minutes. The 78 rpm record eventualy won the race because famous artist where contracted true companies lik columbia and HMV. If any one has a crappy old machine that needs restoration send me pm Here,s a picture of my edison:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1040249..jpg  

Last edited by edison; 02-27-2010 at 01:20.

Default G'day

Name: Tony
    Hobbies: DJing with vinyl, CD, virtual vinyl, traffic light sounds (I'll pretty much try and mix anything with a beat), electronic music production (especially Trance), electronics & technology (especially when used in creative audiovisual ways), VJing and lighting design & production, club/dance night production, snowboarding
    Other: I grew up in Zimbabwe, Africa

Name: Peter

I'm running my own audio visual company (www.zwartlicht.com) since im 16 years old.
    In the mean time i have learned very much about light and sound / audiovisuals / theatretechnical facilities.
    But i learn every day more and more.. i gues we all do.

Now im trying to learn new special effects like laser system's and software's.

My referental = Hobbybob.

Other hobby's except Light and Sound systems are:

Photography
    Wakeboarding
    Diving
    Music (playing drums and bassguitar)
    Computers and stuff..

Default laserpic

Name: darry
    Hobbies: lasers, music, movies.

Quote Originally Posted by laserpic View Post
    Name: darry
    Hobbies: lasers, music, movies.
    weird...

as far as im aware darry got sacked from laserpic for fraud!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat