Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices on Software and Hardware...

Lightbulb Prices on Software and Hardware...

I wanted to open a thread that compares the pricing of the various hardwre/software options out there. Going over it in my head, I wondered why Pangolin is so expensive, but is it really? I am looking up prices to make a comparison list and post here. I'm not really going for a detailed comparison, just $$$ for hardware and $$$ for software. We can split hairs later or in your posts... Please post what you have with the costs you paid or were told to tell other what you paid...

The prices I post will be from a quick web search. I will edit with another's price if it is lower and can be had by others. (why is it so hard to find prices online?)

I guess we will put Pangolin's intro set up first as it is what I have...

Pangolin QM2000 Intro with LD2000 - $1500 for Hardware and software. Let's say 66/33 split, $1000 for the card, $500 for the software.

Riya Pro PCI card using LDS - $850(600 euro) for the card, $850(599 euro) for LDS Basic, $1700 for both.
    Riya also has a few other controllers I wanted to add:
    RIYA 3_in_1 – $500(350 Euro)
    RIYA USB/Ethernet – $360(250 Euro)
    RIYA MultiBus Pro/Basic/Micro – $360/285/215(250/200/150 Euro)
    All of these will run Riya, LDS, and Phoenix software. (need to find a price on Riya software )

Mamba Black + Medialas USB to Serial (I assume this is a DAC, check link) $820(577 euros) for Hardware and Software. (pretty good as I found it for 598 eur/SW and 299eur/HW somewhere else)

Easylase OEM USB board (can be used with Mamba/LDS and more) $354(249 euro) Hardware only.

Phoenix basic and USB interface box - $1565(1100 euro) Hardware and Software, $850(599 euro) Software, $709(499 euro) Hardware

LA Freak (Pangolin hobbiest set up) - hmmm, I can't seem to finda "true" price anywhere. I can't find LA Freak or Studio on the Pangolin site... I'm sure someone will enlighten me so I can update this. Rumor has it LA Freak is $500 to 600 for Hardware and Software...

Popelscan - Free Software, DACs usually cost $100 assembled or you can make one or use Norm's Laser show controller of eBay for a good deal <$50...

I seem to be running out of set ups...

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    Merlin, complete system with software and PCI or ISA dac card! - $595
    I'm gonna add the laptop set up, there is also two set ups with computers that are lower that this...

Quote Originally Posted by merlin.shtml
    Merlin, complete system with software and custom laptop computer! - $1,495
    Thanks man! I don't see a separate hardware software option, like Pangolin I guess. I must say a nice price. Can't let the boss see that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    There is also the Alphalite XC Pro system (hardware and software) for $399.
    Moncha and USB DAC - $570(399 euro) for hardware and software. Damn... another one I can't let the boss see...

Fiesta 2 and USB DAC - $1260(880 euro) for hardware and software. I like the way the advertise the Fiesta price but I can't seem to find the Moncha price.

... to be continued...
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 10-18-2007 at 04:36. Reason: added Moncha and Fiesta...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Merlin, complete system with software and PCI or ISA dac card! - $595 ($29 shipping)

http://www.taiserver.com/merlin.shtml

Cool

There is also the Alphalite XC Pro system (hardware and software) for $399.

Then you've got Moncha, which costs around $600 with the Fiesta controller.

And of course, there are several free solutions that are based around open source software and a modified sound card... Laserboy is one, and the UCLinux Lasers project is another. Search the forums and you'll probably find a few more.

Eh - just remembered Norms Laser Show (NLS)... I think the controller kit costs $200 now, and the software is free.

I'm sure there are a few more out there that we're missing though.

Adam

A couple of corrections:
    1) I don't think Laserboy is free. I was Beta testing the software with Jame Lehman (the developer) last winter and he was planning on selling it... but it doesn't seem like anything ever happened. Regardless, I don't think that the current version of LaserBoy is available for download but it might be obtained for free if you send him an email.

2) Moncha works with the Moncha DAC. The Fiesta DAC is for the Fiesta software. They are not the same and don't work with each other.

3) Norm's controller only costs about $20 in kit form, not $200.

And I would like to add my own, called Spaghetti. It works with the Moncha DAC and it is currently in the Alpha phase but is free to anyone who requests it and doesn't mind being a tester. I can make it work with other DACs (originally it worked with the PopelScan dac) as long as the API is available.

Cool

Whoops! Good catch there Gary... I was looking at this site when I posted, and evidently I got the Fiesta product confused with Moncha. Thanks for clearing that up. (Upon further inspection, it appears that Fiesta is considerably more expensive too - around $1250 for the package.)

As far as the Laserboy project, yeah, I don't think James ever did anything with it. I know he was planning to sell it at some point, but then development just stopped. He's actually registered here on PhotonLexicon, but he hasn't posted in quite a while. I didn't realize that he had pulled the files from the website though. (You used to be able to d/l it and run it...) Then again, it's been *months* since I've been to his site.

As far as Norm's Laser Show, you are correct. He sells the GALVO KITS for $200, not the NLS controller. My bad!

I think he sells the controllers on E-bay from time to time, though I haven't watched any of his auctions to see how high they go...

Adam

Question

Hey, where do you see the Moncha pricing? I can't find it for either it or fiesta. I like to see the prices for myself before I go quoting it... Everyone knows I'm a dumbass, we don't need proof.

Cool

The website lists a price of 880 Euros for the Fiesta product. That works out to around $1250. The site didn't list a price for Moncha, but Carmangary said in an earlier post that it costs around $600.

Adam

I think Moncha is "advertised" at $499 Euros.

Cool

Oh, ok... 499 Euros is closer to $710.

Adam

Is that right? Maybe it is 399 euros then. I can't remember... but anyway, what I meant by "advertised" price is that it seems to be kind of like the sticker price on a car... if you know what I mean.