Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: powering up Maxyz's

Thanks mliptack....

Also, in this senario, the ground shiled referes to teh return path of the circuite and not the Earth....how can I earth the the mazxy's? I think Chuck explained before but I did'nt understand. I know I'm thick.

From my understanding grounding that circuit will ground the modules. You just need to be careful that the gold looking inner module never gets grounded... otherwise you will blow your diodes.

I know my modules are grounded since they are connected to the aluminum baseplate that is grounded.

I am sure someone with more electronics background would be of more assistance in this situation.

Cool

Max is 100% correct. Grounding the shielding wire will ground the module. You can ground the baseplate too, if you wish, but it won't make a difference one way or another.

Now, it is a good idea to run a wire from the shielding wire to the ILDA cable ground. (Pin 25) That ties all your signal grounds together. Likewise, those "black blanking leads" from the other lasers should be tied to the ILDA ground as well.

Adam

Thanks for the replies guys.

Adam,
    Now, it is a good idea to run a wire from the shielding wire to the ILDA cable ground. (Pin 25) That ties all your signal grounds together. Likewise, those "black blanking leads" from the other lasers should be tied to the ILDA ground as well.
    So all common / ground (-) wires form lasers ( and scanners?) should be wired to the ILDA pin 25.....

Sorry Adam, I know what you say makes sense, I just have to say it in my own words and someone say 'Yes' before I get somthing.

Graham

Yes.

And I know how you feel. I was the same way... you don't want to mess up and end up ruining something very expensive. Take your time, be patient and have fun!

lol Cheers Max

I've found the best way with the new dpss/ diode stuff is to not ground anything together until your sure it does not have a potential difference between ;;
    it -all .. got dvm?

Steve, can you explain your last post please.

Cool

What Steve-o meant was that, before you tie all your grounds together, it's a good idea to make sure you didn't accidentally grab the wrong wire. If you did, then you'll have a potential difference (IE: a voltage difference, which you could test with a DVM, or Digital Volt Meter) between the wire and ground.

However, sometimes in an isolated DC circuit the ground will "float" at some potential above earth ground. If you connect a digital volt meter between the ground in such an isolated circuit and earth ground, you may measure a voltage difference. To see if this is actually a problem or not, connect a large resistor (100K ohm or 1 meg ohm) between the two grounds, and then measure the voltage again. If it drops to zero, it's safe to connect the two grounds together.

On the other hand, if after connecting the resistor, you still get the same voltage difference between the two points, then something is wrong. The circuit is actually running at a voltage above ground, and connecting it to ground will cause a short. (Or it means you grabbed the wrong wire by mistake.)

To re-iterate: All the grounds from all your power supplies (including your scanners) inside your projector should be connected to Pin 25. If the laser driver has two blanking wires (blanking signal and ground), then connecting that ground wire to pin 25 is sufficient.

However, in the case of the Maxyz modules, there is only the blanking signal wire and the common ground for the module. In this case the common ground needs to be connected to pin 25.

For your scanners, the middle pin on the scanner input connection should be tied to Pin 25.

Adam

Some mfg's use (+) grounded cases / housings on their lasers-- gotta watch it.. isolate it..test it b-4 grounding everything together..
    Last edited by steve-o; 01-05-2008 at 12:35.