Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: powering up Maxyz's

Yes, the interlock is connected in series with one leg of the mains.
    I believe brown and blue are used in the UK, the green would be ground,.
    But for the modules they require DC from a power supply powered by the mains of course.
    Most use RED for the (+) rail from the DC supply..(white) on the maXYZ
    Black for the (-) rail... shield on the maXYZ..this is also connected to ground or the case of the module.
    The green is not ground but used for modulation..
    The color of the wire coming from the module is what we are stuck with
    so, choose carefully..
    if you dont have a multi-meter.. nows the time to invest in one.
    They are easy to use..have fun.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Question

Need to pull this thread off on a tangent for a second...

Marconi - you said that the interlock is connected in series with one leg of the mains. That would mean you've got all the AC current that your entire projector uses being pulled through the interlock circuit, which would include the ILDA cable that runs back to the loop-through on your controller.

That's not a very large gauge wire to be pulling an amp or two of current through... (Especially if you're running a 50 ft ILDA cable) Wouldn't it be better to use a relay to switch the main AC circuit inside the projector and just sent the relay power through the interlock circuit?

I guess I have a bit of a problem sending 120 volts AC through a parallel cable... Is that really kosher?

My projector only puts out ~ 600 mw of white light, and it pulls right at 1 amp from the mains with the gain all the way up on the scanners. But what about someone with really big lasers in their projector (say, a 3 watt DPSS red, a 2 watt DPSS blue, and a 1 watt DPSS green)? Something like that would probably be pulling 5 or 6 amps down that same ILDA cable, which uses, what - 28 gauge wire? (shudder)

Adam

Well, I was trying to keep it simple in explanation terms as he was having some problem (I think) I keeping the two separate. Mains and DC.

No, I wouldnt run my mains directly thru the interlock switch normally..
    Here my interlock switch is rated for 20amps and I can get away with it.
    Because at the moment, I dont have any boards to control it.
    It was already built this way for its original purpose in life..
    However...It would be better to use a relay. I do plan on changing this when the time comes to wire it up to the ILDA connector.
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Having problems understanding what I need to do in general.

Ok I baught a power supply http://tidyurl.net/b8Efl

I can change the voltage to 9V. It's DC which is what the Maxzy's want right?

The Green I have comes with its own power supply which is AC. Is this going to cause problems anywhere?

So heres what I think I have to do...
    Get a wire comming from the mains/wall socket going into the projector and into a Chock block. From the choc Block I will connect the Green power supply which will power teh green. Also from the chock block will be the power supply above going to the MAXYZ's.

The scanners I got came with its own power supply so that will ALSO be comming form teh choch block.

Does this seem right so far????

For modulation on teh lasers, What Do I wire them to? The ILDA thing when I get one????

Cheers for all the help people. You'll be rewarded with a laser show when I eventually get it all running.

Graham

The connections are right for the power supply.
    The 'modulation' wires will go to the ILDA connector as will the X and Y signals for the scanners.
    Do a google search for "ILDA pinout" for which wires go to which pins.

Jim

I agree,.. Looks like you got it figured out ok
    That supply is fine..

When you get ready to fire-up the reds and you dont have the ILDA DAC stuff yet... you can rig up something with a POT or a couple of resistors if you like to test them.

Thats if your in a hurry..otherwise I would just wait.
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Thanks a lot guys. Think I'll wait till dac arrives, only got one shot at this so don't want to blow it.

Just checked tracking info and FB3 just arrived in the UK somewhere. Should be here toms or next day.. Better start thinking about a box to put it in

Hi guys, following on from all that I now have some parts nearly ready to put together, just wanna make sure I'm not oging to kill my self or my lasers...

The pic below is the end of the power supply lead for my CNI Green.....I'm holding them next to the points I htink they shoudl go too. I know its a bit over kill but I'm so not electric savy...

Is that ok?

Yes:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_wire...able_in_the_UK

(Hot = Live, Neutral = Neutral, Earth = Earth )

Im happy wireing up the green laser , can you just check Ive got the maxzy's right.....Theres only one in the pic....
    The LIVE power supply wire has a white strip going down it and the guys at the shop told me that thast the live one. The power supply Im using only has two wires in it. One one end thatgoes to the maxyz;s is black / black'n'white, and the end going into the wall is just blue / brown. SO it means its not grounded. Is this ok or shoudl I get a grounded one?

Cheeres