Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: powering up Maxyz's

Default powering up Maxyz's

ok before you say 'search', I have and I cant find any pics...

I've got some Maxyz's but have no idea how to wire them up. Anyone here wired the due set up?
    Got any pics I can. What power supply did you use?

Newbie here so please be descriptive if you can.
    Thanks
    Graham

Hi Graham..
    You could just tie them together white/white, shield/shield and green/green for the duals.
    Power them up with 9vdc with at least 1amp supply..use a lasershow dac for the modulation..or for testing ... a 0 to 5v variable supply on the greens..
    or, you could use a 5 to 10k potentiometer or close to a 5v supply and use that as the variable supply.

That make sense?
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Chuck thanks for that and for asking if it makes sense ...no, not 100%

How do I give them 9vdc. So far my understaning of the power situation is that Im going to have a plug comming from the wall, into the projector, connected to a choc block (platic thing with screws to connect more wires)

Then a power supply for each laser and the scanners will lead from the choc block. I have the power supply for the green and for the scanners already. SO I need the power supply for the reds.
    Am I on the right tracK?

EDIT
    While Im here, I just hacked of the plug that came with the Green and I'm left with Green, White and black wires.......If i wanted to put this into a UK plug, which wire should go where?

Cheers, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    EDIT
    While Im here, I just hacked of the plug that came with the Green and I'm left with Green, White and black wires.......If i wanted to put this into a UK plug, which wire should go where?

Cheers, Graham
    I hope you are talking about wiring the power supply to the mains plug and not the laser head.

Jim

Lasers and basic electrical knowledge kind of go hand in hand (if your gonna build your own.
    heres a rough pic for testing or general ref-

<edit> I should also add that the transformer converts 230VAC ( youre in UK-right?) to 9VDC and the +5V has the same reference (common or ground) that the Maxyzmodules do(the shield) . If youve hooked them to 230 VAC , sorry bud..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marconi waal;llwart.JPG  

I havent done anything yet...just the hacking...

Ok I still dont really get it...I've never wired any thing up before

In the wire I hacked of I have a Green, white and black. I take it the black is the earth/ground?

Do the other two mater which way they go??? I appreciate the drawing Steve-o

Hey Graham
    You should have gotten a transformer packed with those lasers..
    Itsa small wallwart looking thing..it'l work from 100 to 240vac..of course the wallplug on it was made for over here but you could wire a 2 prong (240v) plug on it , just solder it onto the existing prongs. most do that and wire it into their interlock for the mains.

Or, You could use another power supply cabable of 9v with at least 1amp or better. the wallwart was just a give-away test the units with and something to run from till you can get a better / easier supply.
    Dont worry about hooking them up wrong, you really can hurt them unless you hook the directly to the mains...Ouch.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Chuck when you say interlock are you refering to where all the wires meet.. where the main power wire comes into the case and all teh smaller powersupllied feed of this "junction" so to speak?

An elctrician came round mine two days ago for a social visit adn I didnt think to ask

on your green laser power supply
    green = earth ground,
    black = hot wire,
    white = neutral.

if you cut a european cord the colors are
    green/yellow = earthground
    brown = hot wire
    blue = neutral

if you have a ohm meter check it, if you don't now is a good time to buy one even a cheep one will do.
    make sure your powersupply for the green laser is rated 100 to 240volt ac input.

no were talking Maxyz where green is not earth.. its the analog modulation input