Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 230V Light bulbs

Default 230V Light bulbs

It occurs to me that you could run a 230V 100Watt bulb at 115V (be equiv 50W) and it could possibly last several years.. Any of you UK guys want to sell your bulbs to us USA guys? .. Group buy??
    What type fixtures you-all got over there? An "A" type we call it here...
    ..just a thought...

It's a quarter of 100W. (Physics) So 25W
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

and our standard 100W have a bayonet type fitting ( 2 small pins stick out of the side, twist and lock ) and im sure the USA is eddison screw fitting

all the best ....., Karl

Why not just go to ebay.co.uk ?

Jim

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Why not just go to ebay.co.uk ?

Jim
    why not just buy the 137 volt LONG LIFE INDUSTRIAL that they sell to the NYC subway and schools ? Yes folks, those annoying big tungsten lamps that lit the dim hallways in your elementary school leaving plenty of spaces for the bullies to hide were probably good for 10-20 years at minimum.
    cheaper then the UK post, which I must admit, seems faster then teh US snail.

Steve

Yeah, I remember them.. bah--
    Still , might be kinda large to cram into the kitchen fixture

I dont see how 1/4 x watts fits into Ohms Law even regarding hot tungsten's increased resistance . Please explain, Dr laser..

The color from them would be terrible dimmed down that much.
    The color temperature from a tungsten source at full power is 2800k if you dim it down it will get warmer and warmer and not put out much light and just be a really crappy light source. If you want long life look at led or fluorescent. Although the fluorescent has a crapy color also on the other end of the spectrum.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I've put a diode in series with a 120V bulb which effectively reduced it to half cycle (power) and it wasnt an un-pleasant color ; it lasted quite a long time.. the flicker at 30 Hz was what I didnt like, therefore the question..
    I like a warm color..
    I tried to find 230V 100Watt bulbs and only found 1 in the US .. I may order it just for shits and grins.. ..and see how it does..
    I just dont see how he says it will emit 1/4 power..should be 50%.. his 'physics' are in error.. unless it has something to do with quantum photon distribution I doubt it..

Interesting that you would mention this... I did a lot of volunteer work for a theater when I first started with sound and lights. In the house we used 230v lamps so they would last much longer.

I also don't understand why it would be 25watts. The relationship is fairly linear. And this wouldn't apply to an inverse square law...

Also putting a diode in line with the light would make it flicker at 60hz, since you are only taking away 1/2 of a cycle, you still have 60hz.

-Max

If youre running at 60 Hz and you cut off the top (or bottom) of the sine wave then you get 30 Hz to the load.