Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 230V Light bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Lessee P=E x I: 50=115 x 0.435, 100=230 x 0.435. The current doesnt change on these bulbs, the voltage and filament resistance does.
    You have one 115V 50watt bulb and one 230v 100 watt bulb.
    R= E/I so the filament resistances are respectively 264.3 Ohms and 528.7 Ohms.
    I think your wording is what confused Adam, you state that the voltage and the resistance CHANGE, when really they only differ between the two bulbs.

-Max

Exactly....................... mebad......................

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    I just dont see how he says it will emit 1/4 power..should be 50%.. his 'physics' are in error.. unless it has something to do with quantum photon distribution I doubt it..
    Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    I think your wording is what confused Adam, you state that the voltage and the resistance CHANGE, when really they only differ between the two bulbs.
    My initial reply (The one that listed Ohms and Watts law) was to explain to Steve why the bulb would only put out 1/4 power. (If you recall, he wanted to buy 230 volt bulbs and run them at 115 volts to make them last longer, but he thought that since the voltage was half, the power output would also be half.) Several people corrected him by saying it would be 1/4 power, but no one explained why, and Steve was still thinking that the power output would be 50 watts. (See his post above)

His reply to my Ohms law post certainly sounded like a rebuttal to my explanation, but if he was indeed talking about two different bulbs then I retract my pendantic second post.

Adam

I should have explained that I was talking about 2 diff bulbs-- sorry Buffo--

Cool

No prob dude... It's all good.

Adam

Shit, Man youre like 2X theposts The verbal D is kicking in again
    Lookin foward to selem.. SR got me fixed and M3 too --gots some ideas....if theyres time... /;
    Dude-

Smile

Well, you've got quite a few months to assemble your kit yet. SELEM 2008 will be in August. I'm hoping to have a scan head on my HGM 5 by then... Might have a couple other toys to bring too.

Yeah - post count is geting ridiculous... I'm seriously addicted to this place.

Adam

Yeah me too..
    I'm trying to put together scanheads for the event .. check out the ...S thread (for SteveR)/...he sent me them and I just cut and drilled the mounts..now I got amps and a greeny coming.. and the wifey is trying to do a wednesday thing,,,aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Smile

hehe... Never enough time, eh? I totally know where you're coming from on that score.

I saw the mounts you've been working on. Very nice! Looks like you might want to move the galvos back a bit though. (Either that, or cut the shafts to make them shorter - not sure if cutting the shafts is a good idea though.) The shafts appear to overlap by about an inch or so, which might make mirror alignment a problem. (Then again, maybe it's just the angle you took the picture at - not sure.)

Keep us posted as to your progress. Love to see that greeny running on those scanners...

Adam

It'll be a RGY until I can get enough 'green' for a blue- heh-