Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Off's

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Yes!!! Details Please!!
    PM-me, I'll send ya a PDF (but FYI, I will be offline till next week, so I'll get back at ya then...

Hey, guys, come-on, how about some more cool 'Batcave' pix, like DZ and Stan put up? Or cool show shots? Or cool projector shots... peace...

- j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Or cool show shots? Or cool projector shots... peace...
    Ok: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...12226808781995

Looks much better in person, static beams don't go anywhere, still need to setup some bounce mirrors... By the way, its another freebie show from our good friends at Pangolin!

then you will only drop ONE testicle, instead of BOTH
    LOL ROFL-- dont want to do neithers. Tis awesome tho.. The KFC one made me hungry for deep fat fried chikkins Got any slaw?

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

Looks much better in person, static beams don't go anywhere, still need to setup some bounce mirrors... By the way, its another freebie show from our good friends at Pangolin!
    DZ, looks awesome. First I can't wait to go full color. AND cant wait to go 'full pangolin!'

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

I havent heard Cafe Del Mar in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey DB - well, I humbly submit this for your consideration
    Ha, its not like I have never used one. I like em, i feel that most users on the forum wouldnt like them. You wont be getting the beam on galvos that do more than 16k if your completely rich and about 8k for your standard user.

I will say this, these lasers are bright. If someones never seen 40w of 532nm, beware, being in the crowd can give you a headache. It did my first time.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52849710706718

Simple but so effective, love it.

Graham Im assuming you dont know how you do this. (or at least most of it - what you see in this clip is done in software)
    You could do this in your living room in 10 mins
    Basically this is how a laser crab (look it up on ebay) works. shine a laser at a mirror mounted on the end of a motor shaft at a very slight angle (only 1 or 2 degrees - but by no means critical) and you will draw a circle or tunnel when the motor turns. Bounce this circle off another mirror mounted in the same fashion and you start to get patterns. Reversing one of the motors and altering the motor spin speeds changes the patterns.
    I have done this with 3 motors (which in software would be equivalent to 3 oscillators) and you get many a complex pattern out. The number of motors is only limitted by how big the pattern gets and so then having a mirror on a motor big enough to catch the pattern.

I think as laser hardware and software gets cheaper there are many people being introduced to this hobby that skip these early discovery steps that many of us went through when we could afford neither scanners or software.

I remember how exited I was the first time I did this with 2 motors and whole 7mW of 633nm red from my uniphase helium neon laser - I was like a kid at christmas and I was a grown man in my thirties!!!

If you dont know how to control or reverse motors you could do worse than buy a crab or similar (you can pick one up for under 20 quid) and replace the laser - I still have one that I replaced the lame red for a 15-20mW green and its still a really cool thing. Laser show in a small hand held package that runs without a computer and only needs a wall wart adaptor to power it. Mine has got a little circuit in the base that that i built to modulate the laser in a range from about 2 hz to 6 or 7 Khz so you have a cool range of fx that you can get with this addition too.

Good fun for a sunday afternoon.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cool

The really funny part is that David created that show as a joke... He spend all this money on a nice projector and a full-blown Pangolin LD-2000 setup, and then he made a show of simple abstracts that you could easily replicate with nothing more than a couple DC hobby motors and some cheap mirrors. He actually went out of his way to make the show look as cheezy as possible.

The setup went like this: He would show his friends all the expensive equipment, then play that show and watch their reaction...

The problem is, the joke sometimes backfired. Turns out that more than a few people really liked the show! Of course, once he loaded up a "real" show, they were totally blown away, but the point is that even simple effects can sometimes impress the uninitiated...

I had one of the American DJ "Window Baby" units once upon a time, and yeah, it was just like the laser crab today. Couple cheap motors with small mirrors and a 5 mw 660 nm diode... But what the hell, it was a laser, and back then that's all that mattered.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    The problem is, the joke sometimes backfired. Turns out that more than a few people really liked the show! Of course, once he loaded up a "real" show, they were totally blown away, but the point is that even simple effects can sometimes impress the uninitiated...

I had one of the American DJ "Window Baby" units once upon a time, and yeah, it was just like the laser crab today. Couple cheap motors with small mirrors and a 5 mw 660 nm diode... But what the hell, it was a laser, and back then that's all that mattered.

Adam
    I have to say my first 'laser show' was from a widow baby... I bought it when I was younger... and I loved every minute of its sound activated glory. since then I have used the internals with a 150mw greenie for some fun.