Thread: Lasever 50mw Blue output sparkles

Default Lasever 50mw Blue output sparkles

I have a relatively new Laserver 473nm 50mw laser module. It works fine and is actually putting out 70mw so I don't have a problem with it. But one thing that I noticed is that when I send the beam through my scanners and create some lines, the lines sparkle. Sort of like glitter. My red and green ones don't do that. The lines look solid. Why would my blue lines sparkle?

You are seeing noise in the output Zoof has an image of it here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DrZoof/N...09802664177618

and is brought to mention here:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...oise#post36339

As far as I know this is common to all low cost 473 dpss lasers - at least a year back it was. There is a whole discussion on the laserfreak forum on this. My CNI has it but only really noticeable at lower power. Another CNI blue I had before had it much worse but that one was returned for a whole lot of beam issues. It seems it is something we have to live with until the blue 445nm diodes will replace the dpss.

That pic mliptac mentions is the old CNI that was returned.

OK, I'm glad to hear it isn't just a problem with mine. Thanks.

Would you scan the same test image (the grid with R G B) at the same size and put it up for comparison? It is an issue I wondered a lot about when buying my lasers a year back but it was very hard to find good info on it.

I don't have that test image. But I'd be happy to do it if someone can send it to me.

Cool

For what it's worth, my old Lasever DPSS blue didn't have this problem, but my new one does.

For those of you that attended the original FLEM 1.0 back in January of 2007, you probably noticed this noise was present in DZ's otherwise awesome projector. However, the new laser he's got doesn't seem to be as bad as that old one was. Well, *my* new blue laser has just as much noise as David's old one did.

It's hard to get a picture of the effect, because you need a really short shutter speed to capture it. I'll see if I can get some decent shots though.

My experience is that when scanning moving images during a show, the effect is very hard, if not impossible, to detect. But if you've got a static pattern displayed, the effect is easier to see.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default blue speckle

When displaying a "still" frame with a blue dpss, try actually scanning two of the same frame at a slightly different PPS, it should help it go away by nonlinear averaging.

Steve Roberts