Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Laser Meet - Safety Issues???

na we had a few 1watt's and 1.2watt greens last time, they were fine. provding your careful anyway.

rob's white is something else - dont know if oyu know but you can see the day here and most peoples kit

http://www.laser-man.co.uk/2006/inde...d=51&Itemid=71

na a 40 watt would be just right for the room
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yeah! bring everything you've got dudes! Lets phone the CAA and park the 40 watter in the car park! (no, really, lets do that!)

Great response so far folks, AND taken in the spirit in which the topic was intended, thank you so much for not shooting me down in flames for raising what i consider to be a very important issue

I for one do not intend to do any audience scanning at all at the meeting. My laser will be mounted at the minimum height of 3 meters with all the necessary safety precautions fitted so that there is no possibility of a beam straying below the minimum level.

As a possible suggestion how about those who are able to get their beams above the minimum height and can safely do so, be allowed to point their lasers into the room. Whilst those who cannot meet the minimum safety standards should be pointing them in one particular direction where entry into the beam path is either forbidden or at your own risk.

If someone doesn't have a stand and they want to have a go at firing the laser into the room i'd be more than happy for them to make use of my stand when it's not being used by myself. If others with stands would do the same that should give everyone an opportunity to have a go at providing some nice safe beamshows. These could be running throughout the day as the risk to others would be absolutely minimal.

Those who want to project graphics would of course all point towards the stage area where presumably the screen would be available as before.

Again, these are only suggestions.

Nice to see you're here Kevin. It's as a result of my conversations with you last time that I now have my nice Pangolin setup. I'm looking forward to chatting again

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Wow! If there are going to be that many people there. Folks might want to think about bringing furniture!

We each kind of had our own "booth" last time, but there weren't 30!

Mains distribution as well, I ran a 30m extension off the stage last time for the three of us in the stage right booths.

Still gutted I can't go!

Hi Jem & all

I think the first thing we simply need, is for everyone to act in a responsible and adult fashion - including not getting upset if someone suggests we are being irresponsible. I feel that the last thing we need or want (appart from an injury) is a load of red tape - but we need to be aware that this is a real issue that we must take with us outside of the UK meet and therefore by default it should apply within the UK meet.

Kev I think your idea of a safety 'workshop' would be great and as one who has attended LV's safety training course I think it may be a good stepping stone for people to have a little background which may be the encouragement to take the issue further and better thier knowledge. Respect for suggesting this.

The other 'safety' issue on the day will be a dark room with cables and in my case water hoses trailing around the floor. We must all take common sense with us that day and not leave it at home to ensure that no one and nobodys kit gets damaged. Please respect the requests of any of the attendees.

A breifing by someone (preferably of some professional standing) would be a good idea and if last time is anything to go by there was a couple of hours before things really got underway, while everyone was setting up & introducing themselves where this could easily take place.

What we all must understand is that we all must take our own responsibility for what goes on. If the slightest thing goes wrong and we all start pointing fingers instead of saying 'well we screwed up' we will kill this event stone dead.

I see good and bad in having time slots though we need to be careful if its a free for all. I dont really know the best way to do this - I guess it will also depend on the room situation. There was talk of a dark and a light area - I will try and find out from Fluff about this.

One final thing is that there is gonna be a f**kin lot of gear there on the day which will have a lot of personal as well as monetairy value. I have been in touch with Mark who can provide somebody to look after the gear - especially when we go for food. There will be a charge of £50 which will spread thinly between 30+ who are likely to attend. I hope there are no objections to you all throwing in a couple of quid to protect our gear - after all we are so lucky to have the use of such a cool venue for free. This is another reason we want a safe event - we need to keep good relations with Fluff & the venue owners for the future of our event.

Rob

PS Andy C I would kill to see that laserscope but it will be waaaaay too much for that venue.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

If power might be a problem I could bring some distro. I don't know what power is available put I can bring a three phase distro and a whole lot if 16A stuff to run to 4 way 13's at everyone's chosen position.

If there's not enough power for Rob's mixed gas or the multitude of yags and CVs in the carpark I'm a 16th ed. spark so I can tail in to any convenent dis board if need be.

getting someone to look after the gear when we go lunch is a great idea and im very happy to put a fiver or whatever in.

might be worth people bringing ome gaffa tape so we can tape wires just to make walking a little safer
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Lampy View Post
    If power might be a problem I could bring some distro. I don't know what power is available put I can bring a three phase distro and a whole lot if 16A stuff to run to 4 way 13's at everyone's chosen position.

If there's not enough power for Rob's mixed gas or the multitude of yags and CVs in the carpark I'm a 16th ed. spark so I can tail in to any convenent dis board if need be.
    MATT
    What we did last time was pinch the 63A connector for the PA to run my baby - however I am hoping this time to junction this so the PA AND the whitelight can run at the same time. (does anyone have audio leads that can go from in may case 3.5mm jack to phono or XLR - whatever the PA has) There are 16A barrels in the stage area but normal 3 pin sockets are a premium so some distribution into the room would be good.
    Nice one man - and I am looking forward to meeting you.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

It's good to see some awareness and focus on safety.
    I'm not sure an allocated time slot will work in practice, but there should be some ground rules.

Really looking forward to this now

Rob funny you should mention this, i was thinking about this last week.

(does anyone have audio leads that can go from in may case 3.5mm jack to phono or XLR - whatever the PA has)
    I was going to suggest a radio transmitter pack, with the reciever connected to the PA, the transmitter pack can then be easily moved around and plugged into whoever needs it

I dont know if mark has something like that. Kev may have something ?

but it will make audio a whole lot easier

Looking forward to Kev and johns safety workshop ....

I still think that it would be better to alocate time slots so people can demo their kit, or do a show, or do a workshop, that way each individual will get everyones attention. and keep it safe
    maybe not for the whole day ..... but at least for the part of the day and then have a free for all finale at the end .... that gives those that want to stand out of the way a chance

all the best .....Karl