Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who did CONANs show

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Buffo
    they brought it back for a third night, and launched straight up through conan's desk, and he danced in the beam. They then had units behind the desk that they scanned the host and his guest.
    lacka budget my a$$.
    Clan, this is one case where somebody did us wrong and it could have been a major whoopsis.
    DSLI , sorry you didnt get it
    600$ to file, what a rip!
    BTW, we've been calling Benner Conan since the 90's
    And if hayden did it, it wouldnt have been sucky stupidabeam moving light clones with scanners stuck to them on night three.
    Hey Steve -

A-men, Cap'n!!! It's not so much that we did not GET the gig - jobs come and jobs go - (ie: the week after we lost this, we won a bid for a small Tour to 10x the value of this job, so to the 'wiener' of this gig) - What irritates me more, is just that, if someone is gonna 'cut throats' and go out doing gigs at less than a grand a nite (cause IF this 'laserist' IS is fact 'legit', with a valid NYS ClassB, they, by LAW in NYS would have to - (yes, Steve, NYS IS GREAT at taking $$ from everyone they possibly can - I am sure it won't be long before there is a 'breathing tax') file with the Division Of Safety and Health and pay the regist. fee of $600. - we agreed to do this job at the rediculously-low price of $5.5K for 5 nites, cause that was all they said they could 'budget' - and we got beat-out - do the math... ) - well, they sure had better blow the lid off the gig, especially on national tv, cause NEXT time, when Conan (or whomever) wants lasers, their 'LD' will be be like 'nah, we can get more excitement out of a pair of emulators for less $$'... and IF someone had gotten HURT??!! Yeah, later, taco...NYS is strict enough, thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    Wow, you guys are ruthless- LOL-
    what are we gonna say if Pango did moonlight that gig and Haayden was at the controls?
    Paul, if Pangolin would be willing to come all the way up from FL to NY, to cut our throat to, in-the-end, gain less than a grand a nite, (MINUS the $600. NYS fees + all other expenses) - only to do THAT with the opportunity, well then I'd say the world truly IS coming to an end! I have NO doubt that IF Hayden HAD done the gig, Conan would NOT have had to PROMPT the audience to applause / cheer!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    BTW, I really enjoyed that Geronimo clip. Nice work dude... Pity you couldn't get the gig for Conan's show. But then again, it appears that it was a one-off gag, so all the extra choreography would have been wasted.
    Thanks, Adam! - well, the 'RFQ' was for 5 consecutive nites, so it would have been - just barely - worth it to do up/down truss / stage mirrors - point is, it would have been SAFER - Conan would be able to see WHERE the beams were going / terminating, so if he chose to 'dance' near them, he could PREDICT WHERE it was safe to do so, and it would have produced - in my OPINION a better, brighter, and more impactful result - it is hard to beat good, bright beam-work, done live, TO the music... your comment about 'Geronimo' (a much more 'doclie' track) would seem to validate that since I realize you have no reason whatsoever to patronize me - I believe you! (ps, thanks again!)

Any idea if they did it beyond that third nite (I did not see any of them, live - can't get Conan down here in San Sal...) - just curious to see if it was the same Zzzzz stuff...

But you're right Clan - whatever - I got to vent - now on to more productive things - like planning for our next REAL gig!

peace..

- J
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-13-2008 at 13:27.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

mixedgas- ahhh, I'm corrected - I didn't see or know about the reapeat performance-

LOL about hayden- I knew that would get a rise out of someone-

I'll tell you an interesting thing about this forum and its members though-

I'm proud of the fact that the focus on saftey here has been, and is what it is-

For a long time most pros where always worried about having their livelyhood screwed up
    by some nut with a laser- not that it can't still happen, but the fact that lots of newbies are getting good facts and information from here has been a great bonus-
    go big or go home

OK, KINDA ON THIS TOPIC, BUT ALSO KINDA OFF...

i got a few questions...

lets just say (and im NOT IN AGREEANCE nor do i condone what happened) conan "agreed" to throw caution to the wind and say, "ah, screw my safety...i want ratings...lemme just dance in the beams" can the laser operator be held responsible? during rehearsals, lets just assume "Joe laser" told conan and the camera operators...

"ok this beam will be here, that beam will be there, make sure you dont cross over to this "X" area or you may come in contact with dangerous levels of radiation..." and they ignore these warnings, is the operator still ultimately responsible? i would assume ABSOLUTELY YES!?!?, and i know if it were *MY* show, that emergency shutter woulda been hit REEEAAL quick the second i saw that danger, BUT- this is live TV- does this show "negligence" on the operators behalf or the hosts behalf??

again, i am in NO WAY supporting what happened. im just curious as to the legalities of this. and on that same type of discussion-

what is to be done for say a private type of laser "show" which specifically asks for an effect that may be dangerous (if someone ignores cautions) or against regulations??
    perfect example-
    i have seen a picture of i believe it was cheerleaders inside of a real nice colorful laser tunnel. well, to the letter of the law, that would be considered an "illegal" effect correct? is there a waiver that must be signed? is there an ammendment to a variance that must be completed?
    or say, some CEO of a company that wants to come walk out through a laser "tunnel?" again, against regulations, and can become a dangerous and harmful situation, but what is the proper way to handle something like that?

sorry if this kinda got off the original topic about conan, but it was a fitting question to ask i think. and im sure most of us have or will run into a situation like this...???

-Marc

good questions- this is correct, laser effects on stage during a pre coreographed sequence are not illegal- but any beams that leave the stage enviorment must then adhere to the guidlines- ie three meter seperation etc.

my questions where not answered based on the youtube clip alone- one might assume that sequence was shot with no audience, and say for example the camera placed in a fixed known location-

I didn't see the follow up episodes so I take everyones word for it that it got more outrageous-

how about this thought though- if this was satire based on a german nightclub enviorment, was it possible those photon laden effects where actually part of the bit?
    no offense to our European members but anyone who has traveled acroos Europe would admit that is not an uncommon sight-
    go big or go home

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    i know if it were *MY* show, that emergency shutter woulda been hit REEEAAL quick the second i saw that danger, BUT- this is live TV- does this show "negligence" on the operators behalf or the hosts behalf??
    Conan isn't live, its recorded at like 2 in the afternoon. I agree I would have pressed the Estop button a long time earlier.

i have seen a picture of i believe it was cheerleaders inside of a real nice colorful laser tunnel. well, to the letter of the law, that would be considered an "illegal" effect correct? is there a waiver that must be signed? is there an ammendment to a variance that must be completed?
    or say, some CEO of a company that wants to come walk out through a laser "tunnel?" again, against regulations, and can become a dangerous and harmful situation, but what is the proper way to handle something like that?
    I'm not entirely sure about this. I am sure Bill Benner could answer that for you since those are Pangolin's pictures. I would imagine the chearleaders and everyone involved were completely instructed to the dangers of the situation. Even with every precaution possible there is still someone with a hand on the estop button. In that situation it could also be a bit of camera trickery.

-Max

this is the show:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wde9svUqZPM

I can only guess that he signed a waiver?!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    this is the show:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wde9svUqZPM
    I can only guess that he signed a waiver?!
    Hey Doc - thanks for the link....

All I have to say, is, 'waivers' or not, whomever did this show SURE BETTER have covered their kiester and BOTH had a NYS ClassB Operator running it, AND have filed with CDRH and NYS DOSH, cause if not, when they get wind of it (and they WILL, and not by me, mind you...I've got better things to do..) NYS WILL CALL NBC, they WILL find out WHO did it, and they WILL TAKE ACTION against the Co. or Individual.

WHY can I say this? Cause, believe me, on a gig so 'high-profile', if it was not registered / licensed, they WILL pursue it, so THEIR 'bosses' (Albany) can SEE that Enforcement IS, indeed, doing its' job... NYS is THE toughest State in the US, followed by TX and AZ...

IF this person / Co just came in and did this gig without a Var, and/or without filing with NYS DOSH / having a ClassB Op - I suggest they buy the next available ticket to Timbuktu, and bring their lasers, cause this will probably be the LAST gig they ever do in NYS...

I sincerely hope that these guys - cheezy fx or no - DID their 'due diligence' and at least did it LEGALLY, cause clearly, the NYS safety regs. were interpreted VERY loosely, here... (though I'd just VISUALLY 'guestimate' that the fx in THIS clip, anyway, were not much above 250mW or so - Conan certainly could NOT have had a 3W beam on his palm for that long - he would have fell off his desk!)

Like I said, these are NOT 'sour grapes' over losing an underfunded gig - it came in with 5-days-till-showtime notice, and we said, 'Ok, yeah, we'll help ya out..' but frankly, I am happy NOT to have OUR work likened to a 'bad German disco' (really, are there even any?? Some of the BEST lasershow Co's in the WORLD (ie LOBO) are out of Germany, and I'd venture to say their discos prolly put most of ours to SHAME in the laser dept...) - but this is not about Conans' silly satire, it is just preaching against when we (or ANYbody) gets 'undercut' by 'hacks', operating illegally - cause then we ALL suffer- trust me, NYS is strict enough, thank you very much!

Ok, I am going to shut up, now!!! ...sheesh, think I used enough CAPS?

peace..
    - J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

well, based on those videos, there you go- choreographed, rehearsed- I dont see any problem with it-

I did cacth a very brief scan near his cheek- but honestly, if he rehearsed it to the point that he was playing with the beam in real time- then I can only logically assume he was advised of all saftey issues-

I don't see an exposed audience- so I personally give this a thumbs up at this point-

If someone has a more complete video, or a contact who can deliever a video clip of a independent audience camera feed for me to survey- ....I'll stand on my findings-

peace out

who knows- maybe Conan digs lasers anyway- he could have a 1 watt greenie in his living room as well
    go big or go home

Born and raised in Niagara Falls New York- I don't know who did this, but I'll be you a grand
    NYS doesn't impose any fines or violations-
    go big or go home