Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who did CONANs show

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

UNLESS- they didn't have class B NYS paperwork- which is independent of my hazzard analisis
    go big or go home

Quit pulling fucking lobo into this- you know damn well I wasn't referring to a ligit European company
    go big or go home

i'll be the first to concur with you on the illegal hack bit- but first someone needs to step forward with the company info responsible for the gig- lets see NYS legit or not?
    For the record, I had my old man-( who is 59- I'm 38 ) get certified so I don't have to worry about it anymore ( ie, in regards to my shows up that way-) (my pops is a Optometrist
    office in Buffalo ) go in, take a test, get a retinal scan, pay your fee, have a nice day-

Lets jump off the wagon of the NYS B.S. you know damn well NYS is the empire state of regulations and taxes- you don't hear me complaining about the fees I pay to the state of Texas every year do you-?
    go big or go home

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    i'll be the first to concur with you on the illegal hack bit- but first someone needs to step forward with the company info responsible for the gig- lets see NYS legit or not?

For the record, I had my old man-( who is 59- I'm 38 ) get certified so I don't have to worry about it anymore...

Lets jump off the wagon of the NYS B.S....you don't hear me complaining about the fees I pay to the state of Texas every year do you-?
    Hey Paul -

woah, buddy! I guess I pressed the wrong button... well, sorry, but these were not attacks on you, just airing my strong feelings against those that just blow off the regs - like I said, jobs come and jobs go - that wasn't the crux of my 'rant' - it was simply:

UNLESS- they didn't have class B NYS paperwork-
    ...This, AND having a ClassB Operator PRESENT - and so, AS LONG AS whomever did this gig DID file, WAS licensed AND had DOSH approval to do those effects, with physical contact / immersion in the beams/scans - (cause they are typically very 'anal' about the 'distance' regs - ie: took us a MONTH 1/2, one year, to get NYS to approve an installation (permanent) at a theme park, cause a beam-cone was going to come JUST WITHIN 3m of the furthest point of a human-being - the only reason we got approval was because the ride it went in, was spinning at like, 35 mph, and so, IF any of the occupants TRIED to stretch out to that ~9' point to touch the beam-cone (which they'd have to remove their seat-belt to be able to do) they'd have MUCH 'graver' problems to worry about than 'skin exposure' - like being thrown into the wall @ 35 mph... They agreed) - hey, I'll be glad to hear it - that's all...

Quit pulling fucking lobo into this- you know damn well I wasn't referring to a ligit European company
    ????? Dude, I was not attacking you, here, just commenting on Conan's satire in general... are there 'bad German discos'?? I simply 'ventured' to question the 'funnyness' of it... really, who cares??

RE: your Dad's cert - (hey, you're 38, too...that's cool - what month?) - Kudos to him! - I know several very experienced, knowledgeable guys in the biz that did not pass the 4 hr exam, and so when they come to NY for a gig, they call me up and I go and operate the show - they file, list me as the NYS Op, and we do it 'together' - but I'd just be careful, cause, as I am sure as you / your Dad have experienced, they DO call the licensed Op to verify he will be at the gig, and sometimes ask you to even verify details (what lasers, what show, etc) - if you don't know, they'll deny the approval - seen it happen to others.

And RE: 'NYS BS" - ???? what BS are you talking about? I'm not complaining against NYS, only IF - again IF - this was done by an unlic. / unreg. Co. - which I only postured more on the basis of them #1, being willing to do the gig for less than a grand a nite (and I'd imagine for NBC to tell us they 'picked them' based on PRICE, not on 'perception of quality' or our 'offer', it had to be a GOOD DEAL less - I'm guessing more than $1-2K. cheaper overall) and #2, that they would have only had 5 days (judging solely from what the NBC producer told us as to WHEN they started to call around about this idea) to file - and negotiate close-proximity + contact fx - with NYS DOSH - so that is why I said, these videos show a 'pretty loose interpretation of the NYS regs' - meaning, they probably did not know / tell NYS about Conan 'palming' a beam / dancing 'face-in' inside a cone - Yeah, these are all just suppositions / opinions / IFs , fine. But I am allowed to do that, right?

As far as NYS fees - wasn't my complaint - but yeah, neither you OR I will complain about our Texas registrations, because they are reasonable compared to NYS - NOBODY 'reams you a new one' like NY - with $600. for EACH laser, and $600. for EACH unique-venue show you perform in NYS - $340. every 2 years for Texas is hardly reason TO complain, in comparison. My 'rant' was, like I said - IF this Co / person did NOT do it legally, yes, that bothers me, cause, again, "NYS is strict enough"...

Yep, IF, is the magic word. I'll make some calls, and see IF I can find out who did it, and IF I do, and IF they are licensed / DID file, etc, then I'll come back here and post a public apology for 'ranting without cause', cool?

Sorry if you thought I was attacking you - was not, and if I pissed you off, well sorry, too... but I am not sorry for my feelings against the 'hacks' / scalpers.. they make it harder for all of us in an already difficult to even BE-in-biz-in industry... THAT was the only point of my rant..

peace..

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

ummmmm.... hmmmm... oooooookay?

Am I missing something or are there some posts that have been deleted?

Jim

Thats what I was thinking too, but I thought you couldn't delete posts anymore once someone else responded...

Jon- ok , were cool-LOL

I'm as curious about the gig as everyone else- I would just really like to know if an audience was present or not- that would make the difference-

re the amuesment ride paperwork- standards are tougher for an "umanned" install vs live operator- so I can understand that-

Peace out-
    go big or go home

Jon- ok , were cool-LOL

I'm as curious about the gig as everyone else- I would just really like to know if an audience was present or not- that would make the difference-

re the amuesment ride paperwork- standards are tougher for an "umanned" install vs live operator- so I can understand that-

Peace out-
    Exactly the point I would make. Was there an audience present or was everyone within 3 meters vert and horiz considered performers.

It is all explained here in League of Darwinism. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8MEhIcmo7Q

Actually, I did do that gig as part of my alter ego... Evil Undercutter Laser Guy. You guys didn't recognize me, because my alter ego is in the Witness Protection Program.
    Ex-Keeper of the QM2000 boards.