Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with LASERWORLD RS-400RGB???

Default Any experience with LASERWORLD RS-400RGB???

Hello Guys!

First of all: thank you for this great forum and sorry for my bad english!!!

I need some help / advise!
    I'm new in this hobby and I looking for an RGB projector and a good software/driver to use it...
    I find a used LaserWorld RS-400RGB for a very-very reasonable price, but I don't find any review about that projector.
    The unit is used only for two weeks... not so old... and the price is a half of a new one...

Any experience with this?
    Here is the link for the projector:
    http://www.laserworld.com/en/laser-s...ion-serie.html

I have seen the unit but the power of the blue laser looks not so great... Maybe not calibrated well???

I thinking to buy Mamba Black or the Pangolin Flashback 3 controller with the free LA-Studio software. see here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2279

Please advise me!

Thank you in advance!!!

Sandor
    Last edited by Sandar333; 02-20-2008 at 16:04.

sandor-

i am not too certain that anyone here has any *personal* experince with a unit like that as most of us have built our projectors. (NOT saying one is better than the other!!)

according to its specs-
    110mw green
    90mw blue and only
    200mw red (at 650nm too which is not as bright as 635)

this would be, in my opinion and even from the videos, EXTREMELY green heavy. in fact the red was barely visible at all. with over 100mw of 532 (green) that red should be approx 550mw and the blue around 125mw for a good balance.

as for the comany itself, i have heard nothing but good things about them. quality products and good overall company. if you are able to get a good deal on this. i would say hell yeah go for it. a first laser doesnt need to be perfect!!! and matched with the FB3 kit from pangolin you can control colors for a better color balance. (but will have wasted laser power.)

overall- i would say go for it AS LONG AS you are indeed getting a much better than sticker price deal!!

-Marc

oh, by the way...welcome to the forum!!

oh, just noticed that the lasers are only TTL modulated also. so you WILL NOT have color control over the output from the FB3 from pangolin. TTL only provides a VERY limited color pallette. the lasers are either on or off. they cant be modulated for brightness.
    Last edited by gottaluvlasers; 02-20-2008 at 17:10. Reason: just noticed-

Dear Marc,

Thank you for the infos... Maybe you can advise me a better way to buy or build a good RGB laser?

Thanks again!

Sandor

well, thats a pretty broad question to try and come up with a simple answer to.

basically, couple questions for YOU would be-

1. are you good at building things?
    2. are you good at troubleshooting problems?
    3. do you like getting your hands dirty?
    4. do you haveelectronics knowledge?
    5. do you have machining experience?
    6. do you have design experience?
    7. are you meticulous and patient?

if you answer those in the afirmative, then you MAY want to try and build your own. If you answer no to some of those or all of those you may want to consider purchasing a pre-built system and learning off of that.

an IDEAL Full color laser system is made up of (most importantly) the following-

1. a good RGB white balance. all lasers are matched acoording to their wavelength and powers.
    (if you need to know ratios let me know or search this forum, there are a millon posts about color balance) and color balance is usually centered around your red wavelength. (red is the weakest color to the eye).

2. ANALOG (NOT TTL!!!) modulation of each laser head. analog control provides an almost infinite (upwards of 16 milion) color pallette because each color can be dimmed from 0-100%. TTL modulation only provides a signal to say "LASER ON" or "LASER OFF." there is no dimming control. you can get about 7 colors. i think it may be more now maybe 20 or so because of very high modulation rates.

3. Software must compliment the hardware. if you get analog lasers, make sure you get software to provide at least 3 channel analog (RGB) color output.

4. ILDA connections. make sure the input/output on the software and laser(s) are wired (or you wire them) for standard ILDA (International Laser Display Association) connections and signal routes.
    (again, there are a million posts here to see the standard pinouts for ILDA connections)

5. Safety shutter. and/or interlocks.

those are the most important. (IMO) there may be a few things i missed that others may point out. obviously, your budget is going to be one of the biggest deciding factors. and of course your knowledge and experience.

-Marc

Dear Marc,

Thank you for your advises, I learn a lot from your answer!

I'm too rooky to build an RGB projector, so i'm looking for an rgb-analogue.

Thanks!!!!

Sandor

Thumbs up

i'd like to thank for the information as well i can see that analogue modulated lasers are a bit more expensive but if you get 16,7mil full rgb colors instead of 7 then i guess it might be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    sandor-

as for the comany itself, i have heard nothing but good things about them. quality products and good overall company.
    laserworld ....you are kidding?

Lightbulb

Look at the dates and seach some of Marc's more recent threads on LaserWorld. This is a post from an... unenlightened gottaluvlasers. He has seen and measured the light since that post.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

right, i see, sorry about that...... just didnt want anyone coming here for help and going away to buy a laserworld, when so many here will help to build something much better

Lightbulb

Yea, might want to have this misleading thread deleted all together.