Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: FLEM !!!!

Cool

You gonna rent the 20 ft U-haul truck to carry all that stuff in?

Sounds like a great idea, but remember we've got to get all the gear there, set it up, tear it down, and then transport it back where it came from. That's a lot of work!

We will probably have 3 or 4 people on hand Friday the 15th of August to help set up in the afternoon. And on Sunday we start tearing things down around 5PM, so we still have plenty of people present to help. Nevertheless, last year the tear-down and clean-up lasted until 7:30 PM. (We thought we'd be done by 6 PM... Oops!)

Adam

Anyone know if Ray (Pitts) got home ok? I'd love to know how his Pangolin
    training went.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pitts.jpg  

Lightbulb

Good question... Ray, you home yet? Hope he didn't spend all his money and have to hike it home...

Cool

I spoke with him the night before he flew out. He said that the training went very well, and he feels a lot more comfortable with the software now. He also said that he really enjoyed meeting everyone, and he had a great time at FLEM Mark II.

He was scheduled to arrive early in the morning on Saturday after traveling for nearly 28 hours. Then he'd have to stay up the whole day on Saturday. (Ugh!) I suspect he'll want to sleep in a bit! Right now it's 9AM Sunday in New Zealand, so maybe later in the day he'll log in and let us know how he's doing.

Adam

Hi Guys,

Well I'm back in good ole' New Zealand... can't believe that has been some 15,000 miles and only a week or so ago I hadn't even left !!... this traveling can sure bend your mind.

Hey Adam, congrats on the 3000+posts...

The trip was really great learned heaps and it was real great to meet up with some of you for the day at FLEM.
    Talk about the weight of Paul's Ion jobs !!! has anyone fixed the doorstep yet ?? you know you have a "real" laser when the weight can rip the doorstep clean off its mounts.. these truly are the Johnny Holmes of lasers...
    If not blame the guy from New Zealand they probably won't bother suing me way down here. Hey ! thanks Paul for the effort of bringing them they sure gave me an insight..

Long trip home (40hours from hotel to home) made worse by the fact that my car battery had decided to go to battery heaven at the airport while I was away. Then nearly home a traffic accident had everyone detouring to another town.... man another hour gone.

I spent Monday, Tuesday with Greg at LSDI ... you sure know when you are with someone who really knows their stuff.
    Training was excellent but I was sure pleased I had made a good start on Pangolin software before I went as we covered a lot of ground.
    Went through a tuning process on some scanners as well.
    Spent some time looking at safety issues .. this sure can be a dangerous game !! ever done any of the calculations ??? you may not be so keen to sit out in front looking at the projector if you did. (hint hint !!)

Bill and Karen picked me up for dinner on Sunday which was really great of them as they live at the other end of the city.

Went to Pangolin on Wednesday afternoon and had lunch with the team out there.. it was good to finally meet up with Hayden and to meet the other team members. A visit here and you start to realise how little you know. A small but very special team.
    So you want some test equipment to tune your scanners ?? OK, sell your house and raise a mortgage and you may just be about halfway there !!
    I see why Bill finds it hard to take some of these "copies" from you know where very seriously. This is where some serious scanner "homework" takes place.

I have truly had a trip to laser "mecca".. Everyone was fantastic even if you guys do drive on the wrong side of the road..

A very special thanks to Adam and Bill for their support and help throughout the whole week.

Cheers for now.. hopefully we can meet again one day.

Look forward to Bills visit down here in the not too distant future.

If your down here at anytime let me know.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Hey Ray,

Glad to see you made it back home safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    I spent Monday, Tuesday with Greg at LSDI ... you sure know when you are with someone who really knows their stuff.
    Training was excellent but I was sure pleased I had made a good start on Pangolin software before I went as we covered a lot of ground.
    Went through a tuning process on some scanners as well.
    If the scanners were CT 6800's connected to a TurboTrack 2 Amp, they were probably mine. I know he was testing my 6800's on Sunday but, I'd already left for home when Greg called me. They would have been on his test bench with no projector inclosure.
    It was so great to meet everyone at FLEM2 and I'm thrilled so many ILDA
    guys showed up. I always like to hear whats going on in the laser display business! It was also a pleasure to talk laser projector design with Aron Bacs, some of things he's created are incredible. I told him if he and Pangolin ever hooked up, the results would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Flecom, you definately need to join us at SELEM! The theater is fantastic, the acoustics were great. I only had a small set of MTX speakers and I thought they did a decent job. This time around though, if some plans come together, we'll have a little more punch! The amps that I picked up from Clan are Ashly, 1350W into 4 ohms bridge mono.

nice... ya they definately filled the room at FLEM, but from what buffo was saying SELEM would definately need a larger stack

you could bridge those amps for the subs and bridge an altec for each set of highs (they are 600w bridged which should be more than enough for the highs)... we can use some of my behringer DEQ2496's as filters to route the highs/lows to all the amps...

you can see the altecs here...

http://www.ampslab.com/altec9444a_1.htm

i modified the preamp section on mine (changed out the $2 JRC opamp for a $25 Burr-Brown and modified the circuit just a bit so that the Burr-Brown would be 100% stable)
    Last edited by flecom; 03-09-2008 at 13:20.