Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phosphorescent pigments

Not sure what the equivalent of Testors is here. I might be able to get the real deal, because there's a very nice R/C shop nearby that imports lots of stuff from the US, but I suspect it will be expensive. It's hard to find equivalents because nobody wants to tell what they put in their product.

UV curable would work great for me, but it's not very customer friendly (I intend to sell this paint on a Swedish auction site). Maybe for coating a T-shirt. Is it flexible enough?

I too noticed that polycarbonate plastics have really high absorbance in the UV-region when I ran an UV/Vis-spectrum of the safety goggles from laserwave. Past 330nm the transmittance was so low that the instrument couldn't even register it. About 20% transmittance at 351nm though, different photostabilizers I guess.

Max, I sensed we had some interests other than lasers in common when you first mentioned you used flash powder as a source of smoke. Unfortunately these are not things you can safely talk about in forums where your true identity is known anymore due to the ever growing fear of "terrorists".

Currently I am actually considering a legitimate career in explosives though. I want to do my diploma work for the Swedish Defence Research Agency, trying to synthesize some novel explosives. Companies like Orica mining services are also interesting.

Anyway, in Sweden you are not allowed to buy anything labeled as toxic or highly corrosive with very few exceptions. Sulfuric acid is, of course, highly corrosive and as such hard to obtain. I do have some 20 liters of nitric acid up in the attic (together with 40kg of ammonium nitrate... no, I'm not a terrorist ).

Playing with chemistry is a lot of fun and I feel sad for the kids nowadays who are not even allowed to do simple chemistry experiments at school because it's "too dangerous". If it continues this way we are not looking at a bright future.

Now, back to the topic. I'd like to see a little more interest before I start a sale topic. The orange pigment has the shortest glow time (around 30 minutes, compared to several hours for the green), but it's still much better than zinc sulfide.

I'd be happy to send you free samples Max. Do you have a video camera? I think that's the best way to capture these pigments in action.

Oh, I accept laser diodes (closed can only!) in trade for pigment/paint as I really need another red diode (had some bad luck with extracting open can diodes from burners).

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Max, I sensed we had some interests other than lasers in common when you first mentioned you used flash powder as a source of smoke. Unfortunately these are not things you can safely talk about in forums where your true identity is known anymore due to the ever growing fear of "terrorists".

Currently I am actually considering a legitimate career in explosives though. I want to do my diploma work for the Swedish Defence Research Agency, trying to synthesize some novel explosives. Companies like Orica mining services are also interesting.

Anyway, in Sweden you are not allowed to buy anything labeled as toxic or highly corrosive with very few exceptions. Sulfuric acid is, of course, highly corrosive and as such hard to obtain. I do have some 20 liters of nitric acid up in the attic (together with 40kg of ammonium nitrate... no, I'm not a terrorist ).

Playing with chemistry is a lot of fun and I feel sad for the kids nowadays who are not even allowed to do simple chemistry experiments at school because it's "too dangerous". If it continues this way we are not looking at a bright future.

Now, back to the topic. I'd like to see a little more interest before I start a sale topic. The orange pigment has the shortest glow time (around 30 minutes, compared to several hours for the green), but it's still much better than zinc sulfide.

I'd be happy to send you free samples Max. Do you have a video camera? I think that's the best way to capture these pigments in action.

Oh, I accept laser diodes (closed can only!) in trade for pigment/paint as I really need another red diode (had some bad luck with extracting open can diodes from burners).

Yeah I Love playing around with chemestry - however, I never really got into the math behind it. I never really understood what a Mole was. Luckily throughout high school we worked in groups. I had a more conseptual idea of chemestry while a friend of mine was better at the math - so together we made a great team.

Yeah I am not a big fan of the Patriot act (I don't want to step on any toes with what I am saying) considering the fact that just mentioning the use of chemestry for some fun can label you as being a terrorist. Although some of the laws are for good. I dont think any 18 year old really needs to a pound of Dark German or indian powder - as most un-educated kids would probably lose a hand or appendage after playing around with potassium per----- and mixing it with fine metal powders. (Edited so young ones dont find out how to make it from me)

I do enjoy a nice mix of Zinc, ammonium nitrate and ammonium chloride on a humid day - works great for starting fires while camping.

I think my interest for chemestry died when the strict regulations on chemicals started to take effect.

My chemestry teacher wanted me to persue a government job he suggested the CIA he always say "they need people like you" haha - I still don't know exactly how to take that. While I am sure I would enjoy the work - I just couldn't do it.

I agree that the kids these days wont really know what fun chemestry can be. However, I did find a website a few days ago made by a high school chemestry teacher www.exploscience.com its all videos of experiments he does with his students. I remember in high school we made pressure bombs using a common gas in its frozen state subliming into its gas form Haha - again editing for my own safety. But I am glad to see that some schools are still teaching chemestry. In high school I was a monitor for my chemestry teacher and he would let me do my own experiments - that was how I first got to nitrate cotton. Thanks Mr. Wiz!

Back on topic. I do have a video camera! And I do have a diode to spare

Anyway - I've got an exam in 1.5 hours so I better get back to the books. We'll have to talk more chemestry through PMs for the safety of our own reputation and that of the forums.

Regards
    -Max

Max, PM me your address and I'll send you a sample. I added you to my MSN a long time ago, but I've never seen you online.

Exploscience is a nice site. I wish there were more teachers like Dr. Schrempp and I certainly hope he is allowed to continue teaching like that. I have actually had some personal correspondence with him regarding an incorrect explanation of a phenomenon in one of his videos. He seemed very grateful and sent me a copy of his demo manual as a thanks, but he hasn't edited the video yet.

Steve, I hear you're the man to talk to for laser dyes. I'll happily trade some pigments for Rhodamin 6G.

Yeah unfortunately I dont think that will be able to last long. It seems like some of the things he does can be a bit careless and if any student gets injured that will quickly clamp down on the experiments. For example look at the bug bomb one. Granted I have done far worse things than that (I once burned almost all my hair off the day before picture day in 7th grade) but it seems he needs to be a bit more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Did you see Rob's (Stanwax) Tee Shirt at UKLEM???

Jem
    yeah it was quite cool drawing on him with the bluray he had on hand

Way back up you said you would like an aerosol application. Look into Pre-Val units. I am not sure if they have them where you are but there are here in the US and you can use them to spray paint when you don't have spray paint equipment. They work pretty well and should be fine for that type of thing.

Thanks carmangary. I'm not sure that would work though, as the particle size for these pigments is fairly large. I would probably end up clogging the nozzle very quickly. The pigments also have high density, so you need a fairly viscose paint to have them suspended even for short periods of time. Reducing the particle size is not really an option either, as that would reduce the efficiency of the phosphorescence. Therein lies the challenge. I suspect that because of this it is only viable to use an aerosol solution on a larger scale (high pressure, large nozzle diameter).

I could be mistaken regarding preval's capabilities, but either way they are not available around here.

why don't you call the company that makes the stuff? chances are really good the have spent lots of money figuring out how to do exactly what it is that you want to do.

CHad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

How big are the particles? Are the larger than the metallics in auto paint?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Max, PM me your address and I'll send you a sample. I added you to my MSN a long time ago, but I've never seen you online.

Exploscience is a nice site. I wish there were more teachers like Dr. Schrempp and I certainly hope he is allowed to continue teaching like that. I have actually had some personal correspondence with him regarding an incorrect explanation of a phenomenon in one of his videos. He seemed very grateful and sent me a copy of his demo manual as a thanks, but he hasn't edited the video yet.

Steve, I hear you're the man to talk to for laser dyes. I'll happily trade some pigments for Rhodamin 6G.
    DONE, PM ME! STEVE