Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phosphorescent pigments

Smile GITD Paintings

I got some stuff sort of like this. I don't know what it really is. Someone gave it to me. I have been experimenting with new techniques for creating abstract paintings. I've only been at it since last April and I've already been accepted into a few juried exhibitions.

I paint on hard thin sheets of Masonite. I'm really into texture and volume, so I use siliconized acrylic latex calk; the clear stuff, right out of the tube! Sometimes, I lay down a layer of texture, wait for it to dry and then spray paint it with silver or gold metallic paint. Then it is very reflective and I can layer many applications of slightly pigmented calk over that. I use just a bit of acrylic paint mixed with the calk. It's kind of like painting with Jello!

I have used both fluorescent tempera paint and phosphorescent powder mixed with the calk with great results! The nice thing about the calk is that even though it is water based and easily cleans up with amonia, when it dries, it is totally waterproof and it encapsulates pigments that would otherwise wash away.

Once the whole thing is done, I protect it with a thin clear coat of water based polyurethane.

One of these days, I'm going to get them all photographed and posted on a gallery site.

Two of my GITD paintings are in my bedroom and I can see them, plain as day, all night long!

BTW those colors you have are awesome! I found that I could shift the color of my greenish stuff by mixing it with fluorescent tempera paint. I can get from a yellowish orange to a greenish blue.

The greeny laser I have doesn't seem to do much for the GITD, but it sure lights up the fluorescents. Good old black light gets it charged up in a hurry though.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 03-27-2008 at 09:26.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Another application is of course body paint. When is the last time you saw someone glowing in the dark? For this I figured latex would be a good base (albeit somewhat kinky), but then I realized that latex comes from a tree. Trees typically contain water, something that the aluminates are not very fond of.
    Try Smooth-On products. Their most stuff is even less friendly with water than the aluminates.They don't have a distributor in Sweden but there is one in Germany. I've bought from them, very nice people.

Currently I am actually considering a legitimate career in explosives though. I want to do my diploma work for the Swedish Defence Research Agency, trying to synthesize some novel explosives. Companies like Orica mining services are also interesting.
    My first job was as mining engineer and we used tones of them...continued with research in the same branch in a mining institute I'm afraid I don't like explosives anymore.

Thanks carmangary. I'm not sure that would work though, as the particle size for these pigments is fairly large. I would probably end up clogging the nozzle very quickly. The pigments also have high density, so you need a fairly viscose paint to have them suspended even for short periods of time. Reducing the particle size is not really an option either, as that would reduce the efficiency of the phosphorescence. Therein lies the challenge. I suspect that because of this it is only viable to use an aerosol solution on a larger scale (high pressure, large nozzle diameter).

I could be mistaken regarding preval's capabilities, but either way they are not available around here.

Try it with water first, will help in the "tuning" stage.
    You can also use a reversed vacuum cleaner but the spray had is more difficult to make.

Edited: For a higher viscosity you'll need more pressure. Forget about strong lungs or the vacuum cleaner version...
    Read LECHLER instead Lecher, sorry for misspelling
    Last edited by workaholic_ro; 10-02-2008 at 12:23.

Another application is of course body paint. When is the last time you saw someone glowing in the dark? ...

http://www.theglowcompany.co.uk/acat...ODY-PAINT.html

UV reactive rather than phosphorescent I think but still interesting. Might give you some ideas as to the base.

One other thing, before you go splashing phosphorescents all over your body, have you considered the toxicity issues?

At least 2 of the pigments contain Strontium which is a heavy metal and toxic and I don't know anything about the other compounds or phosphorescent component itself but I'd certainly make enquiries before splashing it on all over!
    Last edited by White-Light; 10-02-2008 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    One other thing, before you go splashing phosphorescents all over your body, have you considered the toxicity issues?

At least 2 of the pigments contain Strontium which is a heavy metal and toxic and I don't know anything about the other compounds or phosphorescent component itself but I'd certainly make enquiries before splashing it on all over!
    No need to make inquires, I'm a chemist myself and have been fascinated by toxic substances since I was 10.

The pigments themselves are non-toxic. Strontium is neither a heavy metal nor toxic. It acts like calcium in the body, so unless it's a radioactive isotope of strontium it's harmless (but if it was the pigment would really be glowing in the dark, without needing a charge). It is possible that the orange pigment could cause mild skin irritation, but no more than that.

It is only contaminants that you have to worry about. They are obviously low in concentration, because otherwise the phosphorescence would be quenched.

I stand corrected, its an alkaline metal not a heavy metal, memory not what it used to be.

Default So where do you get the stuff ?

I like experimenting with phosphors but where did you get these samples ? Making zinc sulphide from scratch is pretty fun but as you said these are far better.
    My friends say I'm mad , I suppose they're not wrong !

They are from this site: http://www.glopaint.com/GlowPigments.htm

You can get them from me as well though, if you don't want to buy them in kilogram quantities.