Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Projector Enclosure Group Buy from Laser Visuals

Just for the folks here stateside.....unless someone else would take on the shipping and paperwork chores.....I have access to a 5000watt Co2 CNC laser. It will run a file in G code, Millpwr, or ALibre. I can get the materials in T-6061 in .065, .090 ,.125, .1875 , and .250" thickness. So almost any hole and sizes could be made.....even the machine screw hole could be cut. Just need some one that can anodise the pieces cheap. I have access to a local powder coating shop.....but I would rather have it ano'd.The CNC cutter is $112/Hr. A lot of pieces can be cut at 400+ inches/minute. I was thinking a 1/4 endplates,drilled and tapped to accept .1875" top, bottom , and side plates fastened together with 6/32 machine screws. It would need to be a rather large order to make the cost effectiveness work out. Most T-6 is around $6/Ld. It would be in 4' X 8' sheets. One sheet of 1/4 and 3 sheets of 3/16 would yield around 30 cabinets of 12.5" X 9" X 16". This will accomodate a nice RGB setup. Of course sizes could be in 2 or 3 versions.....What do you think? I can also get hold of thicker materials for beam tables........just need to lock down anodising........This would only leave drilling and tapping the endplate for the machine screws.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Mike - I would definitely be interested in something like that, with or without anodizing! Although I am sure we could source something along that line without much effort.

OK then I will call one of the suppliers and nail down a figure on the materials and layout a design with specs and see how it goes from there......Utmost importance being the low cost per cabinet. The powder coating would be cheaper to do, but anodise will be much better if it can be done somewhat locally. There is a firm in Charlotte that does nice work....I will try and get someone on the phone that can get some kind of a price for X pieces.....in black,dark blue, and deep red. They also do a nice golden/straw color.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Okay guys,

Thanks to James for clarifying the specs of the cases.

It looks like we need around two more people now to make this buy happen. Once we have everyone onboard and the payment side of things is sorted, we can get the order to LV. 3-4 Weeks is the turn around on these puppies, i'm sure it will be worth the wait..

What is the final price shipped to Canada hey
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by yobresal View Post
    Dr. laser- Too Small? What are you planning on running?
    Most of modern power supplies of a meaningful laser power are 13cm wide and 24cm long. So total of 3 =40cm there is only 10cm left for Galvo drivers.
    and about 10cm for laser heads. OEM power supplies?....there isn't many anymore.
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 03-17-2008 at 19:10.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Thats the same troubles I am running into. While the case design looks great - for it to be practical I would need to have a single power supply drive all my lasers - which is an added expense I was not planning on. I am glad Mike mentioned the build custom cases idea - I was just about to start buying my own aluminum to build my case.

My uncle had training on a CO2 cutting laser - I wonder if he still has educational access to one. If not he is a wealth of knowledge in regards to metal. I am sure he knows a place that would anodize metal inexpensively -OR- my girlfriend (Hannah) is an art major and she was talking about the anodizing class she has to take - I'm excited about that

-Max

Hi Dr Laser,

shipping would be around $140

Alex

Default Some pics

Hey guys,

Thought this might be of interest to you.

Here are a couple of pics of my Laser Visuals case holding a 1watt Viasho. I have since put the Viasho in a different enclosure with different scanners, but this gives a nice idea of how the case will look..

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails case1.jpg  

case2.jpg  

Hi to all.
    I was looking for a projector enclosure like this.
    I want 3 or 4 units of it.

What is the size of the laser output window?
    Includes the box the coated cristal window?
    Delivery time?

Thanks to all members