Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny PC

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    That would be like those things they used for tv sets/monitors plopped down for viewing on the ol' movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. We're almost there- or getting closer.. maybe 10-20 years out ..

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Default What are you doing Dave?

HAL9000 -maybe 5 years out.. I was thinking about the future as predicted in the 60's, when '2001' and the orig Startrek were out and we got some pretty cool stuff now; communicators- that flip out (but dont make the little 'beep-beep' noise, TV sets that hang on the wall like a picture, but we still dont have the phaser or laser gun.. or do we? A well placed 50-100 watt battery powered 808 or 1064 with a green or red laser as a visual reference might burn a hole in a ms or 2.. providing the IR was collimated tight enough...eh..? The batts dont have to last but a shot or 2.. you can pull 10 amps I bet from a couple of D cells for a few ms, especially with a couple of pre-charged 'super-capacitors' ..... thoughts, anyone..? I always wanted a ray gun

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    I always wanted a ray gun
    Steve, didn't you see the pictures of Robin's laser 'gun' at the UK meet ???

That used a low power red to give an aiming point, this was followed by a nice infra-red beam that he successfully used to burn holes in peoples polystyrene coffee cups. It was REALLY neat!!

I'm sure someone will have a link to a photo somewhere....

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Wow! No, I didnt hear about that. Would like to see some pics. (Talk about hi-jacking a thread) Well, anyway I was thinking about an IR bar-array focused to 50 feet or so that could burn from that distance...They require 50 amps or so but some with some supercapacitors, and short bursts

Steve

I'm sure Andy (AndyCon) will have some pics somewhere, possibly on his website. Drop him a PM and i'm sure he'll post one or two. I'm not really into burning things with lasers but there was just something really neat about robins weapon

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thanks Andy.

I knew you'd have a photo somewhere

You ought to get a job with the local town's CCTV monitoring station - You'd never miss a thing

Stevo, Robins water cooled CO2 laser gun was quite a feat of engineering !

Cheers

Jem

Hi Jem,

Why dont you just fit the qmnet + qm2k + A PSU inside the projector.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hmmm...

Am I missing something here???

I have my QM200.Net mounted close to my projector (in the laptop friendly box), this way I only need a short run of the DB25 cable. I then run up to 100mtrs of Cat5 network cable to wherever I have decided to situate myself within a venue and plug it into my laptop. With this setup I can have my projector on a stage and I can be at the back of the venue watching the output from the projector. I like beams and it's much better operating LivePRO when you can see the direct output of the projector.

It just seems to me that by mounting a QM2000 directly in a computer you're completely losing it's flexibility. I guess it's fine if you just want to do graphics and are always sat close to your projector, but for beam work...

Cheers

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Hi Jem,

Why dont you just fit the qmnet + qm2k + A PSU inside the projector.
    Well, it almost is... I have it in a fabricated metal box slung underneath the plate (where the projector sits) that fastens to the top of my wind up Powerdrive stand, the QM2k sits in there permanently. It's real easy to wire up from there and I don't need to disassemble it at the end of a gig.

The projector's in bits at the moment otherwise i'd post a photo. I'm awaiting a replacement blue, plus i'm fitting a new power supply and moving some optics about. Should be back in action soon

Cheers

Jem

PM me your email address, i will send you a photo of what we do with some notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Well, it almost is... I have it in a fabricated metal box slung underneath the plate (where the projector sits) that fastens to the top of my wind up Powerdrive stand, the QM2k sits in there permanently. It's real easy to wire up from there and I don't need to disassemble it at the end of a gig.

The projector's in bits at the moment otherwise i'd post a photo. I'm awaiting a replacement blue, plus i'm fitting a new power supply and moving some optics about. Should be back in action soon

Cheers

Jem