Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from a total noob!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Glad to hear you got the Winamp Plugin working. That's one of my favorite features. Have you tried using the line-in plugin yet? That will allow the beat detection engine to monitor whatever audio source you have connected to the line-in jack on your computer, rather than the audio file that winamp is playing. This works great if you have a live DJ spinning records and you still want to sync your laser to the audio.
    That's what I'm doing right now. I have a live Dj using Virtual DJ, it's working really well!

I'll have some pics of my setup soon, right now I have a little workshop in my garrage. It's not fancy, but it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Of course, you've still got CDRH rules to keep in mind, but assuming you already have a variance, the combination of the winamp laser visualization plugin and the line-in plugin make for a fully-automatic beat-syncronized laser show.!.

Adam
    I don't think I need a variance for what I'm doing at the moment, nothig professional, and nothing in public. Right now my audence consists of 3 cats and my stoner roommate. They are all easy to please!

I won't be doing anything more than private parties in the near future, so I think I'm not breaking any laws, but safety is a huge concern for me. I'm doing a lot of reading right now, I'd hate to hurt anyone.

Speaking of safety, I found someone willing to make me cool, custom safety googles, but I need to provide lenses. Is there a market for used goggles or face shilds that he can canniblize for my custom eyewear?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyNormal View Post
    I don't think I need a variance for what I'm doing at the moment, nothig professional, and nothing in public. Right now my audence consists of 3 cats and my stoner roommate. They are all easy to please!
    Haha! Yeah, that's what most of us are doing - setting up our projector in the house or garrage for our family and friends. And you're right, most of them are pretty easy to please.
    I won't be doing anything more than private parties in the near future, so I think I'm not breaking any laws.
    As long as you're not getting paid to do the parties, and they're private, then you're fine as far as the CDRH goes. Of course, safety is still an issue...
    but safety is a huge concern for me. I'm doing a lot of reading right now, I'd hate to hurt anyone.
    Good for you! That's a healthy attitude. There's a lot of good laser safety info here on PL. And if you have questions, go ahead and ask. I'm sure you'll get the answers you're looking for.

As a general rule, if you always keep the beams 10 ft off the floor, you shouldn't have any problems. The goal is to keep the beams out of people's eyes at all times. Just watch out for stray reflections that could send a beam in an unwanted direction.
    Speaking of safety, I found someone willing to make me cool, custom safety googles, but I need to provide lenses. Is there a market for used goggles or face shilds that he can canniblize for my custom eyewear?
    Not really sure, but I'm guessing no. I suppose you could buy a set of large laser goggles (the one's that are the size of chemical splash goggles) and then remove the lenses and trim them to fit... Might be a little more expensive that way. I'm not aware of anyone that makes a face shield that is rated for laser wavelengths.

Not sure if it's really worth all the hassle to make a custom set of goggles like that though. I mean, normally when the projector is operating you'll have the beams 10 ft off the floor, so your eyes will not be in any danger. The only time I wear the goggles is when I'm working inside the projector (adjusting alignment, etc), and when I do that there isn't anyone else around, so what would be the point of a custom pair of goggles? Just a thought...

Adam

Default Hello

Hey AbbyNormal, I see you're not too far from me, I'm in Anaheim.
    - instinct